Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2015 1:14:34 AM EDT
I picked up one of these pretty cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Rousch%C2%AE-Premium-Tactical-Muzzle-Threaded/dp/B013W8AI3A/ref=sr_1_29?srs=8381206011&ie=UTF8&qid=1443566705&sr=8-29

The A1 version seems to get reviews. I picked up the A2 version.

Kinda looks nice since it is the same weight/profile of a bird cage. But I'm thinking the fireball won't be as bad since the ports are smaller.
I'm not really a fan of huge looking linear comps. I'll be using this on a 7.5" pistol and I'd prefer it to be as compact as possible.

I did see some linear comps that were the same size as the a2 bird cage, but they were about $60. But for the price I thought I'd give this a try.

Supposedly this is made in the U.S. heat treated, and nitrided/melonited. The gas block I purchased from them seemed like a pretty decent quality.

Does anyone forsee any huge fireballs or concussion issues with this type of flash hider? Obviously there aren't as many ports as say a dynacomp. Will 18 tiny holes really cause issues with the concussion/flash?

This is going on a budget build fyi.

I was going to use the Damage Industries muzzle projector, but the quality and finish was poor. I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality of this flash hider.

Also I am totally not a shill.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:19:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like the side blast should be less than a bird cage version and the vents are only on the sides and top.

Give it a try and find out how it works. Can't beat the price, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:18:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Will 18 tiny holes really cause issues with the concussion/flash?
View Quote

Probably will on a very short barrel.  Only way to know for sure is...you guessed it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#3]
The vortex or a copy of it magically gets rid of the flash.  My 7.5'' had a huge fireball and with the vortex flash hider it literally has no flash at all.  It is hard to believe, but it works.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#4]
How's the concussion coming off the vortex? Do you have a 300blk or 223? I have an original vortex in 223 on a rifle but haven't tried it on a pistol.

Here's a good price for a knock off Vortex. Too bad they don't make a sound diverted for it. They also sell the OP's muzzle device.
Vortex knock off
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#5]
simple Threaded Device? Maybe a good option
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Hook it up to a garden hose. Pressurized water will give you an idea of what the flash will look like.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:37:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
simple Threaded Device? Maybe a good option
View Quote

I have one of those...on short barrels the blast is very obviously reduced for the shooter.  Not sure about flash.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:38:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How's the concussion coming off the vortex? Do you have a 300blk or 223? I have an original vortex in 223 on a rifle but haven't tried it on a pistol.

Here's a good price for a knock off Vortex. Too bad they don't make a sound diverted for it. They also sell the OP's muzzle device.
Vortex knock off
View Quote

I have that.  Works great.  Bought one for the 300blk.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Anything with side ports increases the noise to the shooter's ear. With a shorter barrel, you can get up to 50% more pressure at the muzzle, so it can be a lot louder. Pretty much the whole point why the MK18 is shot with suppressor attached in the service. We aren't that privileged unless we pay a tax to do it.

Since you will be wearing ear protection do what you want, but those who attached side ported brakes to short barrels mostly report they eventually take them off. Headaches from the concussive back blast seem to dominate, much less the evil stares of traditional shooters as they pack up and leave. Don't be that guy, you are shooting an MSR or pistol and you are making an impression about who you are.

Most short barreled shooters go linear with no side ports at all. Less impact on the shooter and helps shove the noise downrange.

Does a pistol or SBR need a comp/brake on it to reduce recoil or muzzle rise? It's a 21 foot to 125m 2MOA gun that is mostly shooting FBI torso type targets 18MOA big. You can hit that holding the gun to your chin and suffer less than what a side ported brake will do to you after 300 rounds. As for the flash, it's powder dependent. Cheap GI surplus tends to do that, the better ammo has more flash suppressant. It's highly variable because of it.

There are flash and recoil reduction tests of popular brakes on the internet, search is your friend. The results might be surprising, just like finding out your star quarterback at school isn't all that at State U. Some of the most popular brakes on the forums are mediocre middle of the road when it comes down to actual numbers, and the winners are likely some brand you never heard of.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Probably will on a very short barrel. Only way to know for sure is...you guessed it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Will 18 tiny holes really cause issues with the concussion/flash?

Probably will on a very short barrel. Only way to know for sure is...you guessed it.

It has no front blast baffle, so I would guess concussion is minimal.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top