Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/25/2015 10:02:37 AM EDT
What is the most ergonomic way to shoot an AR15 pistol?

What is the most accurate way to shoot an AR15 pistol?

What has worked for you?
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

What has worked for you?
View Quote

A proper collapsible stock, sbr

Sure an ar pistol can be effective, but never as much as a short rifle. Ergonomically or otherwise. $200 seems like money well spent after firing one.

But if I am firing a pistol lower, a short sling with lots of forward tension and the buffer ext buried into my check works for me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#2]
From the shoulder !
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From the shoulder !
View Quote

^this. shockwave shouldered. fbatfe
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
From the shoulder !
View Quote

Unintentionally!  
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Use your body as a stabilizing base - like a position shooter - instead of allowing it to hang off your extended arms working against you. Your shooting hand and wrist against your chest is now your stock weld. Put the sights up high enough you don't tilt your head over - it puts the tube over the shoulder, which is exactly how a lot of others shoot the AR with a stock - with just the toe in the socket.

Put the other arm down against your chest and grab the front barrel shroud (!) to stabilize that end. With both elbows against the chest it's not going to weave around like a pistol hanging out extended. Add sling as you wish.

It's no different than position shooting, use your body to support it. Ergonomic, right?

Hoping others will chime in with how the human body can support the gun, but all said and done we have hands, forearms, elbows like everyone else and it's all we get to use. Stack them up, there's not too many ways to do it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Just lay buffer tube alongside cheek as third point of contact and let er rip.

One thing that helps ergo a lot is a more vertical pistol grip, takes uncomfy angle out of elbow and wrist.

- OS
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What has worked for you?
View Quote

From a rest or bipod is by far the most accurate.  Ergonomics are a personal preference and once again I vote for bipod followed closely by any expedient rest.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm very happy shooting my pistols with cheekweld.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone tried putting a bipod on the front and shooting it like the ruger charger?
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Shockwave brace
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 12:37:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Buffer tube to shoulder.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 3:08:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Buffer tube to shoulder.
View Quote

I accidentally do this all the time with good results.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Cheek weld works fine here!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Ggjw4Murk
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 4:40:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Nose to charging handle, like any other AR platform.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 5:14:19 AM EDT
[#15]
A good two point sling adjusted properly helps as well.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A good two point sling adjusted properly helps as well.
View Quote

This.

I use a two-point, one end affixed at the rear of the receiver, the other at the rear of the handguard. I use forward pressure on the grip and AFG to keep the sling nice and tight. This also gives me good cheek weld on the tube, and no need to bring the tube to my shoulder. I'm able to make consistent hits at 100yds. with this method, which is all I need from my 8" barrel.

Using this technique, I see no need for ridiculous braces or poking the BATFE/NFA.

To those of you posting SBR/get a stock suggestions...this is the pistol forum, go to the SBR forum with your unhelpful remarks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Tube on the cheek. Very easy, far more comfortable than weird sling tension setups. I don't think you need a stock unless you're using a magnified optic, and need consistent cheek weld to get the proper amount of eye relief.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Cheek weld is a lot less important using a red dot optic, and the back edge on my buffer tube are rather sharp. I;m going to try to keep it off my shoulder.

But ya, if you aren't needing to get consistant sight alignment then your cheek weld can vary a bit. That said, would be nicer to take some of the movement that comes with having it off your shoulder.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 11:19:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
From the shoulder !
View Quote

This is what I used to do, until the ATF got me skeered.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From the shoulder !

Even though it may look like I have the brace touching my shoulder, I always maintain at least .001" clearance
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I set up my pistols like this.

Shoot them like this

I push with the dominant hand, and pull with the support hand.  Cheek weld on the tube.

Carry it slung over shoulder with dominant hand on pistol grip.  Taught this many years ago
during a sub gun course courtesy of Uncle Sam.

The reason for the scope is I was testing a 1x6" twist 10.5" barrel given to me by Green Mountain Rifle Barrel
Company.

Here is my standard Pistol.  Hangs on the wall with loaded mag hidden under a coat so I don't scare the locals.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#22]
turn on the laser
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Shockwave or SB15 braced on your chest keeping your shoulders square to the target. No need to shoulder. Suck it atf.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Out of view of any government official of course. The same way you should be firing all of your other weapons.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Even though it may look like I have the brace touching my shoulder, I always maintain at least .001" clearance
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
From the shoulder !

Me too!  I MIGHT shoot mine in the general shouldery area, but were it to make contact it's with my shirt, NOT me!
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#27]
And there's always this.  One-handed baby!

One handed!
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#28]
So I was cheeking a friend's pistol with the shockwave brace, and the lower end of the brace contacts my right pectoral(I'm built + barrel chested)

Am I a criminal? :(

Does boobing a pistol brace count as an illegal action? Should I just specifically run a buffer tube+ cover to avoid any boob to brace contact?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:12:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So I was cheeking a friend's pistol with the shockwave brace, and the lower end of the brace contacts my right pectoral(I'm built + barrel chested)

Does boobing a pistol brace count as an illegal action? Should I just specifically run a buffer tube+ cover to avoid any boob to brace contact?
View Quote

You'll have to invite Max over to observe and see if he pulls out the manacles or not.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:03:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shooting from the shoulder is evil. Shooting from man-tits is a gray area. If you wrote up an ATF letter on the subject, you would be an ARFCOM god.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top