Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2015 3:19:54 AM EDT
I'm aware the AFG is legal on an AR piatol. I'm wondering about a handstop? It would make sense that if an AFG is legal, handstops definitely would be. I want to make sure to keep my hand/fingers from being blown off from a hand in front of the muzzle accident. Any ideas on the legality of handstops?

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 3:38:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I suspect they are fine as there are manufacturers that add them to their pistols for sale. I as many have seen 100's of sbr's with handstops. They are not considered a forward grip yet just another step in the safety of the owner.
Put a light on the end of the weapon, that will stop your hand
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#2]
SIG ships the MPX with one (not an AR pistol, but same idea). So does CZ on the Scorpion.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Whatever you do don't grip it like a VFG or you'll be redesigning it
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Whatever you do don't grip it like a VFG or you'll be redesigning it
View Quote
You.mean between my thumb and index finger? lol

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#5]
As long as its not a VFG. I use a Naroh Arms MLOK finger stop on my pistol.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Think about the fact that you have a HANDguard on the pistol...
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Or an AF Grip
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#8]
send an inquiry letter to the ATF, + another letter asking if they answered your first one yet.

you already acknowledged AFGs are legal, how is a handstop any different other than being horizontal... which means it's not vertical?
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:05:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

send an inquiry letter to the ATF, + another letter asking if they answered your first one yet.

you already acknowledged AFGs are legal, how is a handstop any different other than being horizontal... which means it's not vertical?
View Quote
I don't send letters to the ATF. Just assuming although that's what we are doing here, isn't always a good idea when dealing with them. Thank you for your valuable insight though.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#10]
If your receiver was built as an "other" and the OAL is 26" put whatever you like on it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 12:18:44 PM EDT
[#11]
IF the receiver was built as an "other" then it's not a pistol, which the OP specified.

I haven't seen anything about a handstop being a problem on a PISTOL as long as you can't grip it vertically. I'm using B5 "barrel guards with a forward projection."  I'm not the ATF and I haven't stayed in a HE but I get the impression that if it's no deeper than a one finger engagement it's ok. Two fingers and you are skating on thin ice.

Then there is the issue with it being a 10.5" barrel typically. Nobody is going to get full extension with a locked elbow on it like a 3Gunner. It's going to take a completely different hold. If you are holding onto the barrel not magwell then getting your hand out in front of the stop isn't likely. And if you don't have your hand on it when you pull the trigger getting your off hand shot could happen.

A handstop is just a reference, not a guaranteed safety device.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
IF the receiver was built as an "other" then it's not a pistol, which the OP specified.
View Quote

A receiver ("other firearm") becomes a pistol or rifle when it is configured as such. A pistol with OAL of 26" or more is still a pistol. It only becomes a non-NFA firearm (neither pistol nor rifle) when a vertical forward grip is attached; remove the VFG, it is magically a pistol again.

Remove the barrel, and it becomes a receiver, or "other firearm" again, though how it was originally configured determines legality of ongoing configuration.

- OS
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

A handstop is just a reference, not a guaranteed safety device.
View Quote
I understand the concept. Learning a manual of arms is required.

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#14]
If you're nervous you could always use this.  It's not a handstop (despite the fact that it's perfectly usable as such), it's a combination sling mount/bottle opener (tactical beverage entry device, if you prefer).
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

SIG ships the MPX with one (not an AR pistol, but same idea). So does CZ on the Scorpion.
View Quote
As did the HK SP89...

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 8:09:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, I'm just not seeing the issue here. If you stuck a stubby VFG on there and tried to pass it off as a handstop you'd probably have problems, but legit handstops can accomodate maybe a thumb and fingertip, at best.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yeah, I'm just not seeing the issue here. If you stuck a stubby VFG on there and tried to pass it off as a handstop you'd probably have problems, but legit handstops can accomodate maybe a thumb and fingertip, at best.
View Quote

Hell, nobody has ever been convicted for using an actual VFG on a pistol either, FWIW. It's just another ATF interpretation that has never been verified as legit by case law.

- OS
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Hell, nobody has ever been convicted for using an actual VFG on a pistol either, FWIW. It's just another ATF interpretation that has never been verified as legit by case law.

- OS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

True dat. On most everything. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm aware the AFG is legal on an AR piatol. I'm wondering about a handstop? It would make sense that if an AFG is legal, handstops definitely would be. I want to make sure to keep my hand/fingers from being blown off from a hand in front of the muzzle accident. Any ideas on the legality of handstops?  
View Quote

Handstops are fine, and recommended. Something to keep your hand from slipping off the handguards is very important.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#20]
On my BCM rifle I put the Midwest industries key-mod panel kit because the texture matches the texture on the BCM grip.  I'm in the process of building a 300 Black BCM pistol and I'll use the same Midwest kit.  To me I like it because where I place my hands as far as the texture goes all feels the same on both hands. The kit is around $18 and the handstop alone is about $6.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top