Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/31/2015 12:39:39 AM EDT
Why does everyone put the "flaming pig type" compensator on their pistols? They don't seem ideal. I'm doing a pistol build and was planning a flash suppresor to tame the flash a little. I understand the whole concussion thing. Are these type of compensators the best to mitigate that to a degree?

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:45:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Flaming pig used to be a lot more popular, and after owning a 10.5 inch AR with a comp on it... I see why they were popular...

Concussion knocked me so hard I felt it in my teeth...
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:47:19 AM EDT
[#2]
They push the concussion out to the front instead of the sides where other people are shooting standing. Its only polite when shooting a short barrel.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:48:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Flaming pig used to be a lot more popular, and after owning a 10.5 inch AR with a comp on it... I see why they were popular...

Concussion knocked me so hard I felt it in my teeth...
View Quote
I'm changing my post a little to "flaming pig type" I'm not sure what they're actually called. I know there are several similar on the market.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:14:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Also increases backpressure in the pistol length gas system.  The Pig is basically a non-stamped single chamber suppressor that BATFE approved.  Flash cans & linear comps just send the noise downrange.  If you shoot indoors, they don't do much good - it just bounces right back @ you.  It does change the noise some - some Marines w/ an AR asked if my little frankengun was a .308".  
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:59:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Also increases backpressure in the pistol length gas system.  The Pig is basically a non-stamped single chamber suppressor that BATFE approved.  Flash cans & linear comps just send the noise downrange.  If you shoot indoors, they don't do much good - it just bounces right back @ you.  It does change the noise some - some Marines w/ an AR asked if my little frankengun was a .308".  
View Quote
Wait a minute. The flash cans and the flaming pig aren't both the same animal? Excuse the pun.. Hehehe

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:12:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wait a minute. The flash cans and the flaming pig aren't both the same animal? Excuse the pun.. Hehehe  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  Flash can is just that.  A linear suppressor is a muzzle brake, but with the ports directed parallel w/ the bore.  The Flaming Pig is a single chamber suppressor that was approved b/c it doesn't noticeably reduce noise on a .223" pistol, and it increases back pressure/gas dwell time so that the pistol gas system works more reliably.  I've always been curious how a Flaming Pig would work on a .22" LR w/ subsonics.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:21:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Nope.  Flash can is just that.  A linear suppressor is a muzzle brake, but with the ports directed parallel w/ the bore.  The Flaming Pig is a single chamber suppressor that was approved b/c it doesn't noticeably reduce noise on a .223" pistol, and it increases back pressure/gas dwell time so that the pistol gas system works more reliably.  I've always been curious how a Flaming Pig would work on a .22" LR w/ subsonics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you for your help. I'm wondering what if any flash suppression it gives?

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:55:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

0 - huge fireball.  Linear comp might accomplish some flash suppression.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:10:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

They call it the "Flaming Pig" for a reason.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#10]
A lot of guys choose linears for price, too, as they are half the cost. Black River, Levang, STD. Being considerably smaller and lighter also means cutting down on the front heavy styling fad we are having with free float mounted full tactical dress outs. There must be another pistols worth of lights, lasers and red dots on some of those.

I haven't seen a significant difference in testing to justify the expense over a linear, but most of the testing seems to be focused on 16" AR rifles for 3Gun, not 10.5" pistols. We need our own.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a Pog, sold it and run a Linear comp. Law Valley, PWS CQB, Levant are what I have used. They are simple, cost effective and work. They fit under a FF rail as well.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I flaming Pig is just a linear comp.

Any linear comp will direct all gas out the front, it has no side ports.

It makes a huge difference on a short barrel to the shooter and especially for the person standing next to you.

ETA: I see it has been covered.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#13]
On one 7.5 inch upper (pistol gas) I built I used a KX3 for the extra gas the baffle gives. The look alike or off brand ones do not have the inner baffle. Without the "Pig" that pistol has a hard time getting to cycle right. It may have also just been a gas port that was 2 small for a pistol gas tube. I have had other 7.5 inch uppers that ran fine off a A2 or Linear comp.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:01:21 PM EDT
[#14]
The Noveske KX series is a linear compensator and a muzzle booster.    Noveske followed the pattern of the Bulgarian muzzle booster that appeared on the AKS-74U.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eidLW8dUPU

The booster is designed to delay the pressure to properly operate the action.  On the short guns the gas port is so close to the end of the muzzle, there isn't much time for the action to operate before the bullet leaves and the pressure goes to zero.  By placing the linear compensator slightly forward of the muzzle, pressure can be trapped allowing it to act on the action a few microseconds longer.

A linear compensator is nothing but a cone that directs sound forward.  You can make one by rolling a piece of paper into a cone and directing your voice through it.  Here's George W with a linear compensator.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I like a regular comp on my 10.5" barrel. I don't shoot indoors and I don't shoot next to anyone so I prefer something that keeps the barrel nice and level while I shoot
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They push the concussion out to the front instead of the sides where other people are shooting standing. Its only polite when shooting a short barrel.
View Quote

yup....flaming pig was one of the original blast mitigation devices

now you have more options, but they are typically more expensive too

plus, i think everyone is harboring a Noveske Fan Boi deep down inside
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#17]
C'mon man, live dangerously! Slap a JP recoil compensator on there and take it to an indoor range.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:56:54 PM EDT
[#18]
FYI, you're talking about the Noveske KX-3 and KX-5. There may be other models I don't know about.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:00:20 AM EDT
[#19]
honestly its barrel jewelry. people buy it because they think it looks cool.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:27:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
What should I buy and use instead? My first plan was to use a AAC blackout flash suppresor. Now I'm not so certain.

I'm not new to AR's I have built and own a few... This will be my first pistol though. Any recommendations?

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What should I buy and use instead? My first plan was to use a AAC blackout flash suppresor. Now I'm not so certain.  

I'm not new to AR's I have built and own a few... This will be my first pistol though. Any recommendations?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few different companies now make a very similar product.  Try one of the KAK "Flash Can", they are much cheaper ($35) and if you don't like it you can sell it on the EE and not be out of much $$.  The Noveski version can be taken apart and all the similar products cannot but they all perform the same function.  

Another option would be the Kaw Valley linear comp.  It is much smaller and looks more like a traditional muzzle device.

If you will be shooting your pistol at the range or near/ around people the linear comps/ Flash Cans are nice to have plus it slightly mitigates the noise because everything is thrown forward.  If you will be shooting with no one around or out in the open during the day all the time, use any muzzle device you want.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A few different companies now make a very similar product.  Try one of the KAK "Flash Can", they are much cheaper ($35) and if you don't like it you can sell it on the EE and not be out of much $$.  The Noveski version can be taken apart and all the similar products cannot but they all perform the same function.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  honestly its barrel jewelry. people buy it because they think it looks cool.

Er - but they don't, and it's not necessarily bbl jewelry.  The Flaming Pig increases gas pressure/dwell time just like a suppressor, b/c it IS a single chamber suppressor, and it particularly aids AR pistols (the same way Krink brakes help short bbl AKs) in reliable functioning.

Flash cans and linear comps perform a different function - they simply direct the blast forward, opposite of a traditional compensator.  No increased back pressure, no recoil reduction, just sends more of the concussion forward instead of to the sides or rear of the muzzle.  Handy if you're shooting outside, pretty useless if you're shooting @ an indoor range - you send the sound downrange, it bounces right back atcha'.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#23]
You are correct, the KAK or Kaw Valley flash cans/ linear comps are not baffled and will not increase back pressure.  If you do not need to increase back pressure, the other cheaper options compared to a KX3/ KX5 perform the same function.  I think I got it right this time.  

Quoted:

Er - but they don't, and it's not necessarily bbl jewelry.  The Flaming Pig increases gas pressure/dwell time just like a suppressor, b/c it IS a single chamber suppressor, and it particularly aids AR pistols (the same way Krink brakes help short bbl AKs) in reliable functioning.

Flash cans and linear comps perform a different function - they simply direct the blast forward, opposite of a traditional compensator.  No increased back pressure, no recoil reduction, just sends more of the concussion forward instead of to the sides or rear of the muzzle.  Handy if you're shooting outside, pretty useless if you're shooting @ an indoor range - you send the sound downrange, it bounces right back atcha'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  honestly its barrel jewelry. people buy it because they think it looks cool.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah that is right. The flaming pig is basically a refined version of the 4 piece brake used in AKs. It is an expansion chamber that's main purpose is increased back pressure. The fact that it directs the blast forward is incidental.

Alot of the 35 dollar flash cans are jewelry IMO, they don't have an expansion chamber. They aren't drilled to channel gas through a dozen or so holes to slow it down and create some muzzle stability.

MI makes a good looking linear comp called the blast diverter, it sells for 30 bucks. It doesn't looks like a pig, like some flash cans, but it has gas diverter channels.

when it comes to short barrels, a quarter pound weight attached to the muzzle also makes the gun balance better. They are front light.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Really wonder what a Pig would sound like on a 16" 1-12" AR w/ a .22" LR conversion bolt & subsonic .22" LR.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I put one on my Tavor. Works OK.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still better sending it 50 feet down and back than 3 feet to the guy on your left or right, especially if you are relying on those guy to hear what you are saying now or later.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I find that the best muzzle device for a 7.5" barrel is 3 more inches of barrel. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 12:07:22 AM EDT
[#29]
And it looks cool sticking out of a rail.

Sorry best pic I had.  and before anyone comments I know the afg is on backwards.  I like it this way on the pistol.  The rifle I put it on the "correct way".
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#30]
My KX3 sticks outta the rail about the same length as the pic above this post (coolness factor).  The fireball is now about 3' out in front of the muzzle, versus right at the end of the muzzle.  I thought this was a big deal, particularly when shooting my 7.5" 556 barrel.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#31]
YHM 5C2 here. My pistol barrel is 11.5, so it's not as much of a flamethrower as some.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
YHM 5C2 here. My pistol barrel is 11.5, so it's not as much of a flamethrower as some.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Same idea here. Vortex or A2 go on mine. 10.5 is as short as I go and I don't find the report problematic. I'm going to get an earache either way if I have to use it defensively. I'd rather not have my vision messed up by the flash.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#33]
How much length does the Flaming Pig add beyond what an A2 flash hider adds?  My pistol with A2 muzzle device fits somewhat snugly in its home but I'm interested in the Pig if it'll send some of the noise away from me.

Also, is there a cut-away or cross-section view of the device?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#34]
KX3 with 7.5 barrel
" />
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 2:57:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Is the PIG the best option for a 7.5 inch pistol, or is there something better to send noise down range and hide flash?
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#36]
I was not a fan until I traded into an 11.5 inch 5.56 pistol that already had one on it. I decided it was good enough and left it on!

Had a Troy Claymore comp on my .300 pistol before I put a 51t on it. Good little brake. I passed it on to a friend who complained about his mini brake having to much blast.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I find that the best muzzle device for a 7.5" barrel is 3 more inches of barrel. YMMV.
View Quote

I'm generally in this camp.

I do have a 7.5" 7.62x39 toy, but I use a muzzle brake to enhance the blast
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Is the PIG the best option for a 7.5 inch pistol, or is there something better to send noise down range and hide flash?
View Quote

This is an attempt at doing both.

http://primaryweapons.com/wp/shop/cqb-compensator/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLUl7VY9Yv0
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That looks nice! I might try that on my Mega 7.5 inch pistol build.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 8:01:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is, but it'll cost you $200 extra.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 11:50:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$200 just opens the doors to those options!
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 12:36:45 AM EDT
[#42]
I use a Ferfrans CQB brake/comp combo. Aids in felt recoil and sends the concussion blast downrange. And if you're feeling frisky, the comp is a quick disconnect

" />

" />

" />

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:13:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spikes Tactical also makes a version that does both.

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 10:54:45 PM EDT
[#44]
I put a 4 prong vortex style brake on my 7.5 pistol, it works really good at hiding the flash.  As in maybe a 2" flash out of each side of it at night.  Since I usually shoot outdoors, it works for me.  I did take it to an indoor range once.  It was a bit on the loud side.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Put the louderner on it ( not sure if that's spelled right )
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Because one day, when I forgot to put on my ears and shot a super with my 9" Blackout, I didn't go deaf.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 1:13:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Weird. I have a Smith Vortex on my 10.5" and no one complains about any extra blast or noise, and the recoil more than anything else isn't really any different.

Guess I got a rare, tamed AR pistol.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#48]
I emailed noveske and KAK to make a 6 inch version. Said would be to quiet and put it in the suppressor area that would need the stamp. I have the KAK version on my 10.5 inch 308.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 1:15:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Only reason I went with the KAK can is my original rail on my 10.5" 300 BLK was 12" and I didnt want to direct muzzle blast to the inside of my rail. It was to heavy for my liking so I went with a 9" slim rail and havent seen the need to switch it yet.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top