Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2015 5:25:53 PM EDT
I just finished my AR pistol build.  When I held it up to sight down the barrel I realized that if I fired it, that buffer tube was probably going to smack me in the mouth!  I haven't put sights on it yet but was thinking of a red dot with Iron backup sights.  What do you think about getting a bloody mouth from shooting the thing?

John
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#1]
You could slide a sig brace or some other type of shooting aid on the tube. You could also pay $200, get a stamp, slide a stock on the end and then post in the sbr forum.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Does the butt of a rifle smack you when you shoot one? Same idea with the pistol, only there's no stock against your shoulder.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine doesn't and I have a 7.62x39 I just rest my cheek on the buffer tube pad they have on the phase 5 assembly.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I just finished my AR pistol build.  When I held it up to sight down the barrel I realized that if I fired it, that buffer tube was probably going to smack me in the mouth!  I haven't put sights on it yet but was thinking of a red dot with Iron backup sights.  What do you think about getting a bloody mouth from shooting the thing?

John
View Quote
Are you holding the pistol in an isosceles stance, both hands out in front of you?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I would just place one of these on the buffer tube and then use a cheek hold as drok556 mentioned.

Pistol buffer tube cover

I have no problems shooting my 5.56 or 300 blackout AR pistols this way.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Google one of the many youtube videos about shooting AR pistols and see what people are doing.  Generally you push against a sling, shoving the rifle out in front of you, and rest your cheek on the buffer tube but only to guide the eye.  Recoil is absorbed by the arms.  A red dot is a great idea but you can be effective with irons, too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#7]
You can hold the butt of a M16 against your mouth and shoot it, won't get a bloody lip.

There was actually a mouth retention device for the pistol to do exactly that. There's video on youtube.

The recoil of the weapon goes straight back. It's entirely the point of the action - a straight line stock. It's the dropped stock of a manual action gun that rotates at the contact point and rises up. Some more than others. While some complain about recoil, they keep shooting stuff like .338 Win Mag - and don't get a bloody lip.  Barrett .50BMG?

Some of us have been shooting M16's and the like for decades. We've learned to worry about getting a bloody lip from our teammate in front of us. It's one good reason to keep 10m separation in heavy brush.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can hold the butt of a M16 against your mouth and shoot it, won't get a bloody lip.

There was actually a mouth retention device for the pistol to do exactly that. There's video on youtube.

The recoil of the weapon goes straight back. It's entirely the point of the action - a straight line stock. It's the dropped stock of a manual action gun that rotates at the contact point and rises up. Some more than others. While some complain about recoil, they keep shooting stuff like .338 Win Mag - and don't get a bloody lip.  Barrett .50BMG?

Some of us have been shooting M16's and the like for decades. We've learned to worry about getting a bloody lip from our teammate in front of us. It's one good reason to keep 10m separation in heavy brush.
View Quote

Haha right. I have a nice scar from the shell going down my sleeve from laying to close to the guy next to me.

Op it's a valid concern but you'll be fine, the ar doesn't have a harsh kick anyway
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:55:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:37:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing....None of my AR's have anything remotely close to what I call recoil.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#12]
An angled foregrip is your friend.  You put forward pressure into the pistol grip, rearward with the AFG, gun is solid.  No issues with my 300bo.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:44:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Mount it to your cheek, recoil is no problem... unless maybe you've got one in .458 SOCOM or .50 Beowulf.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:48:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Cheek weld.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for that video. Guy shooting a man sized target at 100m with an AR pistol and hitting it.

It can be done.

No stock necessary.

Expect many links in the future.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#17]
dbl post Win 8
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Cheek weld.

<a href="http://s1209.photobucket.com/user/The_Punisher__/media/62D8A0FD-7A97-459E-BA0A-2C8DF063EBB4.png_zpsrjojsudu.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc388/The_Punisher__/62D8A0FD-7A97-459E-BA0A-2C8DF063EBB4.png_zpsrjojsudu.jpeg</a>
View Quote

That's how I shoot mine. You just can't really do the "nose to charging handle" comfortably though. On some of mine it just kinda rubs my nose, but I have one that has wicked recoil. After I played with the cheek weld method (pictured) it is as natural as shooting a rifle.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Nose to charging handle  
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I use this and it is great.  The only problem it has two battery compartments and the compressed lids do not stay on.  I drilled and put a pin in it works great.
 http://www.thordsencustoms.com/ar-ak-enhanced-pistol-cheek-rest-kit-w-mft-saddle-flat-dark-earth/
Not alot of weight.  I had a sig brace and it is good but very heavy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 5:25:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

John
View Quote

Sorry but...

You're doing it wrong.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#22]

ETA: Seriously though, I use the two-point sling method. Push forward on the grip to maintain tension on the sling, cheek rest on the tube. Provides all the stability I need and puts the sights on line. I have a strong distaste for the brace fad, unnecessary and ugly. Plus, they poke the NFA a little too much, sooner or later bad things may come of it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Just shoulder it unintentionally.  
SIG brace makes it real easy to shoulder. Unintentionally.

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top