Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/27/2015 11:33:26 PM EDT
Like the topic asks. I know Magpul stuff dyes a-OK but I tried dying a VLTOR stock last year and it literally wouldn't take dye. I dried it from FDE/TAN to Black to match my current build and after about 10 days it would just turn grayish purple. I would dye it again, same thing. Also the battery tube caps would not dye at ALL.

Figured I would ask before I tried it! I would like to throw some brown dye at it to dark it up a bit. Maybe closer to the LMT or even just a light brown.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:31:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm interested to see if anyone has tried this as well. On a side note, how do you like the Blade? I was pretty convinced I wanted one but then read a couple reviews on amazon that were negative, saying the polymer wasn't thick enough...but maybe they got knock offs.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:04:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm interested to see if anyone has tried this as well. On a side note, how do you like the Blade? I was pretty convinced I wanted one but then read a couple reviews on amazon that were negative, saying the polymer wasn't thick enough...but maybe they got knock offs.
View Quote

Thick enough for what?

- OS
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm at Walmart (shudder) looking for dye to turn my FDE blade plum right now. They don't have the burgundy (wine?) dye I want, heading over to fabric store. I'll post results.

[edit]
Seems kinda shiny relative to MP furniture, I know most polymer molds have some slick stuff applied to ease removal from mold. Might need to have my dad sandblast it. Starting to think I should've ordered black cause FDE would ook retarded for my application. May as well be white.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:42:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm at Walmart (shudder) looking for dye to turn my FDE blade plum right now. They don't have the burgundy (wine?) dye I want, heading over to fabric store. I'll post results.

[edit]

Seems kinda shiny relative to MP furniture, I know most polymer molds have some slick stuff applied to ease removal from mold. Might need to have my dad sandblast it. Starting to think I should've ordered black cause FDE would ook retarded for my application. May as well be white.
View Quote
Starting to think the same thing! I think black would have looked better.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I have not done a shockwave, but I did some TangoDown QD VFGs from OD to Black and they came out beautifully. I also did some Magpul Sand PMAGs to blue (to distinguish my 300 BLK mags from my 5.56) and it worked flawlessly. The trick is to get the water to a very light boil and to have enough dye to water so that the dye fully opacifies the water.  You should not be able to see your part in the solution when it's submerged.  It takes about 30 min. to get a really rich color; less for pale colors. Given my experience with the Magpul Sand, I think you're GTG on your brace as the materials seem close.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I  would also like to know how your blade came out. I did the same mistake by getting FDE instead of Black.

i was trying to go for a multicolor look (black upper, OD lower, FDE furniture). I don't think it looks good. Especially since the magpul FDE does not match the blade FDE.

Update: That's a negative on the dye. Does not take. Dyed it with RIT for 15 min and came out exactly the same. Going to try Krylon paint next.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#7]
FYI: Brownell's Alumahyde in "Coyote" is a very good match to FDE. The shade is right in between Tangodown FDE, Vltor FDE, and Magpul FDE.

In the pics below, I painted the KAC VFG and the Surefire G2 with Alumahyde...

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the OD shockwave and its not quite magpul OD.

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 11:55:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I  would also like to know how your blade came out. I did the same mistake by getting FDE instead of Black.

i was trying to go for a multicolor look (black upper, OD lower, FDE furniture). I don't think it looks good. Especially since the magpul FDE does not match the blade FDE.

Update: That's a negative on the dye. Does not take. Dyed it with RIT for 15 min and came out exactly the same. Going to try Krylon paint next.
View Quote

Dammit. Just what I suspected. Haven't gotten around to trying yet, I guess I won't bother now.  I suppose I could see how receptive it looks after it's sandblasted but I doubt it would make much difference.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 11:38:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I know nylon will take dye, I am pretty sure that not all types of plastic will take dye. Used to dye USC gray stocks to black, and when I started machining nylon barrel shrouds (fake cans),could only find white material, so would dye them black.

Pretty sure it depends on what type of plastic it is.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top