Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/1/2015 6:56:29 PM EDT

I'm having serious heat issues with my 7.5" upper. Current rail is a copy of YHM's old "light weight" free float. I run a suppressor with this upper, so the inside diameter needs to be larger than 1.5". But I have small hands so I really don't want a monster rail.

Only rail I've found that has an ID of 1.56" is Rainier Arms Evolution rail, but I don't know if the heat issue will be resolved with this.

Any other suggestions? Ideas?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:07:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Vertical grip.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:16:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Vertical grip.
View Quote

Bad idea on a 7.5", unless he's got a ridiculously long buffer tube to get above 26" OAL.  

Large diameter handguards are always going to be a little chunky, but you could try a more solid option than the YHM lightweights.  Some of the non-railed or modular tube-style handguards might be better at blocking heat.  Also, you could start shooting with gloves.  

This list might help, though it's a little old now.  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qHX2hdnP6UOWTs7fCbpqvKYL6WmPakx2ZgxTyKLzJOo/pub?output=html
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:26:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I added the MAKO FAB Defense to three pistols and no heat felt with bare hands. Paid $17 on fleabay for the last one with the thumb tab.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:45:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Leather or nomex glove.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:57:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Bad idea on a 7.5", unless he's got a ridiculously long buffer tube to get above 26" OAL.  

Large diameter handguards are always going to be a little chunky, but you could try a more solid option than the YHM lightweights.  Some of the non-railed or modular tube-style handguards might be better at blocking heat.  Also, you could start shooting with gloves.  

This list might help, though it's a little old now.  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qHX2hdnP6UOWTs7fCbpqvKYL6WmPakx2ZgxTyKLzJOo/pub?output=html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vertical grip.

It's actually an SBR but no one cares about 7.5" uppers in the Armory section. They'd tell me to buy a longer barrel. Anyways the Google doc is great info, thanks! I hate shooting with any type of gloves, looks like the smallest option is either the $160 Rainer rail or a $300 URX 4

I'll see what's used in the EE and try to save a little coin, till then it's slow shooting for me.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#6]
i think it is just the nature of the beast. if you do not care about the looks of it you could wrap you fore end with header wrap. it would keep the heat down.

or you could toughen up your hand and do 100 round mag dumps on a rr lower with your 7.6"  

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top