Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/31/2015 1:52:04 PM EDT
Trying to decide on dedicated lower for pistol build. If you SBR a lower as 9mm can you add a different upper to the registered lower and be legal?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Trying to decide on dedicated lower for pistol build. If you SBR a lower as 9mm can you add a different upper to the registered lower and be legal?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Once it's a SBR you can configure it with any caliber or barrel length you desire.  ATF asks that you notify them if you make a permanent change, but no change is truly permanent w/ an AR.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Well that makes the choice easy  Now I just have to decide on a top or bottom loading block.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well that makes the choice easy  Now I just have to decide on a top or bottom loading block.
View Quote

I've been told that as long as you have an upper that matches the listed config you are good.  I'd keep one that matches to be safe.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:16:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've been told that as long as you have an upper that matches the listed config you are good.  I'd keep one that matches to be safe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Common misconception. There is not any requirement to retain the original upper. The Form 1/4 only designates how the rifle is first built or transferred. Once first built or transferred, the rifle does not need to remain in the original configuration, nor do any parts need to be retained if changes are made.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:18:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Common misconception. There is not any requirement to retain the original upper. The Form 1/4 only designates how the rifle is first built or transferred. Once first built or transferred, the rifle does not need to remain in the original configuration, nor do any parts need to be retained if changes are made.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But in theory you're supposed to notify ATF if you make a permanent change.   Define "permanent?"    I realize that a lot of people don't notify them, and nothing on an upper is permanent on an AR, but I tend to err on the side of caution.  Especially when it's no hardship to keep an extra upper or two around...
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:26:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, you don't even have to notify them if you take it out of NFA configuration and sell as a GCA firearm. Notification for anything is "recommended" but not required.

- OS
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's a question for anyone who can answer it:

I currently have a pistol lower in 300 BLK and am building multiple uppers in 5.56 to swap it out when I like.

If I have a registered SBR, may I legally use the pistol uppers when they are not attached to my pistol or do I technically need "Dedicated uppers" just for my SBR?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I currently have a pistol lower in 300 BLK and am building multiple uppers in 5.56 to swap it out when I like.

If I have a registered SBR, may I legally use the pistol uppers when they are not attached to my pistol or do I technically need "Dedicated uppers" just for my SBR?
View Quote

Barrels and uppers are just parts, use only limited by legal overall configuration.

- OS
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

if you plan on swapping from 9mm to any other caliber you will want a bottom load. as far as i know all of the top load mag blocks require that you pullt the bolt catch to remove (this is kind of a pain in the ass). unless you use a lower that the bolt catch boss is threaded.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Barrels and uppers are just parts, use only limited by legal overall configuration.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Yeah, that was my thought.  A friend thought that was not Kosher to do so I thought I would inquire here for other opinions.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top