Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2015 6:58:33 PM EDT
Tip of muzzle? Tip of muzzle device?

Back to the rearmost part of the buffer tube? Rearmost part of a fully collapses stock?

Trying to determine official OAL for a pistol with a Shockwave brace installed. I want to hit 26 inches but I want to make sure I do it correctly.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#1]
In TX and for most of the USA, stock  collapsed extended and from breech face to muzzle with any removable muzzle device removed (or accounted for). That meets BATF standards.

Two states measure with stocks collapsed for OAL rifle length, Michigan* and California, I think.

*which gave rise to the term "Michigan pistol"
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In TX and for most of the USA, stock  collapsed extended and from breech face to muzzle with any removable muzzle device removed (or accounted for). That meets BATF standards.

Two states measure with stocks collapsed for OAL rifle length, Michigan* and California, I think.

*which gave rise to the term "Michigan pistol"
View Quote

Since this is pistol forum, I doubt if the references to stocks is pertinent, though the muzzle device part of course is, both for barrel length and overall length.

For pistol, would be rear most part of the firearm, which would include buffer tube on those that use it, to end of barrel not counting any muzzle device unless it is permanently installed. Use of a buffer tube on a firearm that does not require it is fairly gray it seems as far as the measurement, but federally it doesn't really matter except for possible usage of a vertical forward grip.

I understand there have been some changes in MI regarding all this, but don't keep up with all the individual state laws.

- OS
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess I should clarify.

I have a CZ Scorpion with buffer tube and Shockwave brace installed. I would like to be able to legally add a vertical grip.

The gun, with the brace at the position that I currently have it in, is one inch too short (25in). Do I simply extend the brace one notch further back and call it good? Or does the measure only account for the buffer tube itself?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:00:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have a CZ Scorpion with buffer tube and Shockwave brace installed. I would like to be able to legally add a vertical grip.

The gun, with the brace at the position that I currently have it in, is one inch too short (25in). Do I simply extend the brace one notch further back and call it good? Or does the measure only account for the buffer tube itself?
View Quote

Buffer tube itself on an AR style pistol.

I would not risk it even if it WAS 26'' on your gun- I wouldn't count the buffer tube as part of the OAL of the firearm unless it is permanently attached because it is not required for the firearm to function.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:38:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I would not risk it even if it WAS 26'' on your gun- I wouldn't count the buffer tube as part of the OAL of the firearm unless it is permanently attached because it is not required for the firearm to function.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if the tube was permanently attached?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think you can be fairly assured that the brace itself does not contribute to legal OAL.

There hasn't been a ruling on whether an unnecessary buffer tube counts in OAL on an AR pistol, "permanently" installed or not.

There is however a rather confusing letter on an AK pistol with one added, I just happened to have posted a link to that in the AK section:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_98/159698_M92_pistol.html&page=1#i1353639

- a buffer tube alone added to AK is making an SBR, as shows it is intended to add a stock to be fired from shoulder
- however, if adding an SB-15 (only brace mentioned), to the buffer tube, it would not be an SBR
- tube in this case does add to OAL, so if 26" then a VFG would also be okay, same as with any other pistol of this length, it becomes a legal non-NFA "firearm".

- OS

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:09:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:21:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The buffer tube is not required for the pistol to function? How would it function without a buffer tube? Take yours off and see how it works.. Or did you mean flash hider?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The buffer tube is not required for the pistol to function? How would it function without a buffer tube? Take yours off and see how it works.. Or did you mean flash hider?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's not using an AR style pistol - but a blowback 9mm CZ Scorpion. I can assure you it's not required
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He's not using an AR style pistol - but a blowback 9mm CZ Scorpion. I can assure you it's not required
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's a SIG pistol that doesn't require one either:

Also, begging the question, a 22LR AR pistol doesn't need one for function either.

- OS
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top