Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/24/2015 12:38:25 PM EDT
What kind of accuracy are you guys getting out of your 7.5" ar pistol/sbr? I'm having a hell of a time with consistency with mine. The groupings are pretty disappointing so far to say the least at 50 yards. I don't really plan to shoot it beyond that. It's pretty frustrating. Running an Anderson 1/7 twist 7.5" with a kx5. Been shooting good 55gr brass.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#1]
i can hit 6"gong at 50yrds and 8" gong at 100yrds with red dots on both my 7.5" pistols. one is 5.56 the other is x39
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i can hit 6"gong at 50yrds and 8" gong at 100yrds with red dots on both my 7.5" pistols. one is 5.56 the other is x39
View Quote

What about groupings?
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Accuracy has little to nothing to do with barrel length.  Accuracy is dependent upon the ammo, the quality of the barrel, the sighting system, and the nut behind the trigger.  Only velocity is dependent upon barrel length.

Barrels are made long to maximize velocity.  They are made heavy to offset effects of heat causing minute warpage and therefore stringing of groupings.  A barrel that short though will not be as adversely affected by heat as short is also stiff (insert phallic pun here).

So ultimately, assuming you have a match-quality barrel, with the right glass and right loads MOA is just as likely with a 7.5 as with a 17.5" barrel.  The difference will be where the impacts are, and effective range of them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Accuracy has little to nothing to do with barrel length.  Accuracy is dependent upon the ammo, the quality of the barrel, the sighting system, and the nut behind the trigger.  Only velocity is dependent upon barrel length.

Barrels are made long to maximize velocity.  They are made heavy to offset effects of heat causing minute warpage and therefore stringing of groupings.  A barrel that short though will not be as adversely affected by heat as short is also stiff (insert phallic pun here).

So ultimately, assuming you have a match-quality barrel, with the right glass and right loads MOA is just as likely with a 7.5 as with a 17.5" barrel.  The difference will be where the impacts are, and effective range of them.
View Quote

That's what I figured. I can shoot a grouping the size of a quarter with my 14.5 and 16 inch ARs at 50 yards. This little pistol is just all over the freaking place. It drives me nuts. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#5]
You haven't given any details on the pistol so no suggestions are possible at this point.

Well you did say it was a 7.5" Anderson (a.k.a. budget)barrel.
Barrel and ammo are the top two and most important factors in accuracy and/or precision in the AR platform, not good areas to go low budget.    

ETA: Any builder or manufacturer that claims their firearms never need lubrication I steer well clear of.

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I probably got a bum barrel. Lame. I did have the chamber polished. I only have about 300 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#7]
No need jump to conclusions. What are the circumstances of the build? Did you build the upper? What kind of sights? how are they mounted? A loose barrel nut, sights or optics that won't hold zero or are loose and shifting. Shifting/loose handguard with the front sight mounted to it. There are a number of reasons that your getting the results you are. But without details of the firearm we can offer no possible diagnosis or remedies.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Loose barrel but, try different ammo.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I could not believe the accuracy I got out of my $84 X39 7.5 inch barrel pistol. Out to 150 is very accurate.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I took a 7.5 to 200m years back. It was AK accurate. Beyond  that it was garbage.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No need jump to conclusions. What are the circumstances of the build? Did you build the upper? What kind of sights? how are they mounted? A loose barrel nut, sights or optics that won't hold zero or are loose and shifting. Shifting/loose handguard with the front sight mounted to it. There are a number of reasons that your getting the results you are. But without details of the firearm we can offer no possible diagnosis or remedies.
View Quote

i put it together myself. built lots of ARs but this one has just been a pain in the bum from the beginning. i finally got all the bugs worked out and now it doesn't shoot worth a darn. just built it to have fun. mbus front and rear with an eotech xps2.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:15:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Wife has a RRA 7.5". It is surprisingly accurate. No problem ringing a 10" steel plate from 200 yds with almost boring regularity. It's the one in my avatar BEFORE she picked out all the goodies for it .

After the goodies:

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 1:59:07 AM EDT
[#13]
What ammo?  
Try match ammo.
Try removing the brake.
Try removing stuff from the fore end.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#14]
With mine,using loads not developed for accuracy I get 2-3 moa to 100yds, at 200 I can hit a 10" plate most of the time but I have to hold over for 8" of drop.

My defensive loads designed solely for expansion/penatration happened to be just under 2moa at 50yds which I consider about max effective range for them.

I am using an eotech  with 3.5x  mag at the 100-200ranges.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#15]
May also want to inspect the crown and as someone else mentioned try it without the Kx5 and some better quality ammo.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#16]
My 7.5 SBR with Eotech and KX3 will group about 3" with decent ammo at 100yd, but most of that is probably from going crosseyed with the Eotech
I may throw a scope on it one day to see what the barrel is actually capable of.

Black Rain / BHW SS 1:8 barrel
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
May also want to inspect the crown and as someone else mentioned try it without the Kx5 and some better quality ammo.
View Quote

The crown of any barrel I didn't make is suspect, and the number one place I'd start.

Could be a horribly crooked chamber, extremely out of tune gas system, or even a badly dimensioned barrel.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:04:49 AM EDT
[#18]
When I do my part, I get cloverleafs.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#19]
You might consider getting with Anderson and having the bbl checked out. My 7.5  Anderson came with a bad chamber that stuck rounds and had a nasty ridge in it that left quite a mark on the brass and my laser sight. Someone stopped the hone just a tad short of completion. I got 2 rds through it on my first firing and had to take it home with a round stuck in the chamber, which I was able to remove by gently tapping on the charging handle with a small leather hammer. Anderson was very responsive, sent me a UPS shipping label and properly honed the chamber for me. It functions fine now. I have only grouped it at 50ft, which is good enough for now... my house is only 28ft long and it's in a readily available location......
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top