Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/15/2015 9:27:04 AM EDT
I picked up an extra lower because of a 10.5" 7.62x39 upper I picked up back when the SB-15 had more freedoms.  I am hoping the upper will sell soon, and would like to set the lower up for benchrest/specialty/"longrange" pistol use.  It will probably end up with a 16-18" Grendel or 5.56 upper, but wondering what parts others are using.  I would think weight would make it easier to shoot, but am open to any suggestions.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#1]
A Stock
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 9:42:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Long range pistol dafuq
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Do a 12.5" 6.8spc for a "mini spr"  supposedly there's only about 100fps difference between a 16" 6.8 and a 12.5" 6.8 ymmv
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I picked up an extra lower because of a 10.5" 7.62x39 upper I picked up back when the SB-15 had more freedoms.  I am hoping the upper will sell soon, and would like to set the lower up for benchrest/specialty/"longrange" pistol use.  It will probably end up with a 16-18" Grendel or 5.56 upper, but wondering what parts others are using.  I would think weight would make it easier to shoot, but am open to any suggestions.
View Quote

Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly but if it has a 16-18in barrel, it will not be a pistol?
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 11:30:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly but if it has a 16-18in barrel, it will not be a pistol?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some states have handgun seasons.  The length of the barrel is not relevant for a pistol.

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Long range pistol dafuq
View Quote

Don't forget this is a tech forum.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Some states have handgun seasons.  The length of the barrel is not relevant for a pistol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does it have to be a pistol marked lower then?  It can be set up just like a rifle but have a pistol marked lower and that classifies it as being a pistol for hunting?  
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Does it have to be a pistol marked lower then?  It can be set up just like a rifle but have a pistol marked lower and that classifies it as being a pistol for hunting?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. but at the same time you can't pull your stock off a rifle and call it a pistol either.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No. but at the same time you can't pull your stock off a rifle and call it a pistol either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 3:00:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?

Legally speaking, if it is first built into a rifle, it is a rifle for life. If it is first built into a pistol, you can go back and forth between rifle and pistol.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Legally speaking, if it is first built into a rifle, it is a rifle for life. If it is first built into a pistol, you can go back and forth between rifle and pistol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?

Oh, I forgot about the first build ruling.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Lowers don't have to be marked as 'pistol'
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lowers don't have to be marked as 'pistol'

I know that.  What is classifying this as a pistol in his state?  Is it only that it does not have a moveable stock / has a pistol buffer tube?  I'm not questioning anyone, I just want to know what makes this a pistol in his state.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
[

View Quote

Length of barrel can matter in certain states, such as Tenn. where they have length limit and I believe Michigan too.  It's always best to know your state regulations.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Length of barrel can matter in certain states, such as Tenn. where they have length limit and I believe Michigan too.  It's always best to know your state regulations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

Yeah, in TN ""Handgun" means any firearm with a barrel length of less than twelve inches (12'') that is designed, made or adapted to be fired with one (1) hand."

Though it doesn't make such firearm illegal to possess, nor does it say exactly what such a firearm becomes, it technically would preclude it from being carried via a carry permit, or used as pistol under hunting regs (though AFAIK we don't have any handgun-only seasons or areas here anyway).

- OS
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah, in TN ""Handgun" means any firearm with a barrel length of less than twelve inches (12'') that is designed, made or adapted to be fired with one (1) hand."

Though it doesn't make such firearm illegal to possess, nor does it say exactly what such a firearm becomes, it technically would preclude it from being carried via a carry permit, or used as pistol under hunting regs (though AFAIK we don't have any handgun-only seasons or areas here anyway).

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

- OS

Interesting.  That's very similar to the Arkansas definition.  Is that in hunting regs?  I don't see it in Tennessee code.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:34:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Interesting.  That's very similar to the Arkansas definition.  Is that in hunting regs?  I don't see it in Tennessee code.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

- OS

39-11-106: Definitions

To my knowledge, it does not show up in any other part of TCA, certainly not mentioned in the main weapons law section (39-17-13xx).

Just that I suppose technically, any statute that has proscription or prescription specifically regarding a "handgun" (like carry with the HCP itself), this could be applied.

- OS

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#19]
"Handgun" means any pistol or revolver originally designed to be fired by the use of a single hand, or any other firearm originally designed to be fired by the use of a single hand.

From

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/statute.aspx?id=11123

Anyone have help with the original question?

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you want 5.56 16" and lightweight I would highly recommend Daniel Defense 16" lightweight CHF barrel. Lightest quality 16" I could ever find.

I give this idea credit for being creative and working the loophole.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

If you want 5.56 16" and lightweight I would highly recommend Daniel Defense 16" lightweight CHF barrel. Lightest quality 16" I could ever find.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've got a 5.45 upper and almost enough ammo for it.  I don't see a 5.56 in my future.  Next will be a 9mm or 22LR, or a 6.5G if I get access to a longer range.

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top