Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/11/2015 9:01:11 PM EDT
Im not trying to stir the shit pot.  Not trying to get slammed.  Not trying to open up a great debate.

Just curious if anyone ever regretted building one?  Ive really been considering one.  Not sure why I just think it would be a fun little gun to own.  Are they fairly comfortable to shoot?  Hows ergonomics?  What kind of optics do people tend to favor?  Irons or micro red dots?  I really wish I knew someone that owned one so I could go shoot it.

While I'm here I am also curious.  When buying my lower is there anything special I need to do?  Or do I just go buy it like I would any lower?  Do I need to have pistol engraved on its side or anything?  I have been reading away and all the articles I read say if a virgin lower is built into a pistol it CAN be a rifle later.  But a Virgin lower built into a rifle can NOT be a pistol.  So I was just curious how I legally go about buying and building the pistol so that it could be a rifle later on if need be.

When building one is there anything about the process significantly different than building a rifle?  I was reading an article about having your selector detent hole threaded but I did not follow what was being talked about.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I love mine! i have a seekins 10.5 upper on a black rain lower with a sig brace.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I enjoyed building mine. I thought it was really neat. I had fun the few times I took it to the range. I sold it to fund some other purchase and have never missed it. Not once.

Life is short. Pursue your interests. Move on when the time comes. Building an AR pistol is not a irreversible decision. You can build it, play with it, sell it or turn it into something else. Or keep it and continue to enjoy it. The only way you'll know is to go down that road.

It's only money (and time). Don't fret about it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I enjoyed building mine. I thought it was really neat. I had fun the few times I took it to the range. I sold it to fund some other purchase and have never missed it. Not once.

Life is short. Pursue your interests. Move on when the time comes. Building an AR pistol is not a irreversible decision. You can build it, play with it, sell it or turn it into something else. Or keep it and continue to enjoy it. The only way you'll know is to go down that road.

It's only money (and time). Don't fret about it.
View Quote

Exactly. I love mine, but if you hate it, pop on a rifle upper and sell the other. Or keep it and swap back and forth. At a minimum, I start all my lowers as pistols first.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:57:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Love mine. No you don't do anything different with a pistol other than building it as a pistol 1st. Take a picture to document that it was built as a pistol maybe.
Mine is a 300BLK 8.5" and it is perfectly comfortable to shoot. Recoils is not  worse than my 16" 300 BLK.  I have a cheap red dot / laser combo and a light on it because it is intended for short range.

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 11:55:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I like my pistol quite a bit.  PSA 10.5" 5.56 upper; nothing fancy, really.  A cheap crutch tip is enough to keep it from skidding around on your shoulder, and give it a little shock absorber effect.  Don't expect serious long range capability, but it'll do well within shorter to medium distances.  You do lose some velocity with the shorter barrel.  It's worth it for the smaller overall package.  (My opinion there, obviously.)  Use either iron sights or a red dot, whichever you prefer.  They're a real hoot to shoot.  Might want an STD (Simple Threaded Devices) muzzle device.  It'll push the blast forward, and make things more pleasant.  

Don't worry about the receiver.  Remember:  You have the presumption of innocence.  And you weren't planning on doing anything wrong, correct?  Buy a fresh, stripped receiver - Anderson is generally fine - and build it as a pistol.  Or mill an 80%, if you're so inclined.  

Give it a try.  You can always re-sell the various bits and pieces if you don't like it.  But I bet you will.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 11:56:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I love mine. They're a blast to shoot.

The 11" gun shoots like a 16" carbine.

The 7" gun runs dirtier and a bit harsher but still runs well and is an absolute riot to shoot.

The next thing on the list is an SBR. The pistol and firearm will stay a pistol and firearm. They're exactly what I wanted and have met or exceeded expectations.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:02:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, I don't regret building mine. But I have had it since January and I can count t the number of themes I shot it on one hand.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:08:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Built three: 8.2 (300BLK) lo-pro, 10.5 VLTOR VIS and a 12.5 NSR lightweight. Don't regret any of them. They are viable options depending on your needs (and other available rifle configs). I'd recommend a Shockwave brace.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:18:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys.  I'm going to have to pick up my lower here soon.

I'm in no rush I figure I'll pick up parts as they go on sale or find a sweet EE deal.

I was leaning towards the 7.5 barrel.  Maybe I'll bump up a couple inches.  I just want something sweet and quick shooting.  Make a fun rabbit gun

Does barrel make a huge difference on accuracy.  I see these pistol barrels that cost 250+.  Do they honestly increase accuracy THAT much?
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:36:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I have 2 lowers and four uppers, love them all.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:55:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Nope.. building #2 soon
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 3:15:17 AM EDT
[#12]
No regrets... building #3 now.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 8:03:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Get a shockwave, start buying parts, fun to build, a blast to shoot, whats not to like?

I bet you can't stop at one, I can't
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 8:35:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I liked my pistol AR's. I like most of them better as SBR's. I don't regret them spending time as a pistol before I made them SBR's.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Oh ya, a guy I met and got talking too let me take his SBR for a test drive at a little carbineshoot.  It was a blast.  As soon as I am done with college and get a supressor an SBR will be next.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I built mine shot about 500 rounds through it had a blast. Then I sold the upper to fund another upper. Haven't wished I still had it for a second. I do have sbr's now though. It's was a fun novelty that wore of quickly for me.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Regret, not really, but I use my short uppers mostly on my SBRed lowers these days.  I much prefer shooting with a stock than without one.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#18]
No RAGRETS (love that movie!) Frankly I was shocked at how soft my 300BO is to shoot.  Built it with the AA XLP piston to keep the innards cool.  Can take deer to around 250yds with a 10.5" barrel, and it is my primary HD and truck gun.  What's not to love?

As for your lower... unless your state says otherwise (I think Idaho is a reasonable state, isn't it?) a lower is a lower.  Build it to a pistol first then you can toggle back and forth to rifle with it if you so choose.  No need for engraving it with anything.

Barrel matters to some extent, but base that on how far you need to shoot effectively.  AR15performance.com makes nice stuff for the price, and the Rainier Selects are some of the best deals going.  Let's be honest though, pistols are probably going to be used well within 300 yds so a 2moa barrel will be 6" groups at that distance.  Most will be used under 100 yds so a 2" capable gun is plenty effective.  If, like me, you intend to hunt with it choose a barrel that will get the job done effectlvely and humanely.

Let's talk calibers.  5.56 from a short barrel is a firework junkie's dream.  They are F$^@#@# LOUD, and they are F*(&^@# fireballs.  I went 300BO because of this.  It's gentle, effective to good ranges, and you don't get the flash-bang effect of the 5.56.  The BO was designed for a full powder burn in about 9" of barrel (which is the minimum barrel length I recommend), where you need twice that for 5.56.  Burning half the powder outside the gun might look cool but you really piss off the people next to you at the range.  Not an issue with the BO.

So build it to its intended purpose, and have no regrets in doing so.

My 3rd child:

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 11:38:02 PM EDT
[#19]
i have built two pistol and have no "regrets". if i did, i could easily sell the short barrel, slap a 16" on it ad add a stock, problem solved.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 6:50:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Not at all, shoot mine more than anything else currently. Went with a 10.3, so far just running the Phase 5 tube, may eventually put a sig brace on it. LOVE shooting this thing
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 8:08:42 AM EDT
[#21]
nope my "pistols so far

7.5" 5.56 with thordsen and caa saddle

10.5" 5.56 with shock wave

7.5" x39 with sig brace

4.5" .22 with foam on pistol tube and can

in the works is 6" 9mm and will have a sig brace i have laying around
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#22]

I have been thinking about building a 9mm AR because the local indoor range doesn't allow rifle caliber pistols. I drove an hour to shoot at an outdoor range with a friend only to find out when I got there that they no longer allow AR or AK pistols. It wasn't posted anywhere & my friend had family there so I didn't get into it with the range officer. I have been considering joining a private club... but not looking forward to paying dues & mopping floors. I only shot my AR pistol once this year, so I guess the only regret is that I don't shoot it more. You may not have any of these issues at your local range but where you are going to shoot your pistol is something to think about before you build it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#23]
No regrets on my end. I have built four of them -

1) a 7.5" 5,56 Adams Arms with a JP Trigger and a Thordsen/CAA Buffer cover
2) a 10.5" DSG/Seekins on a Mag Tactical Lower
3) a 10.5" PSA 300 Blackout on a Rock River Arms pistol lower
4) a 10.5 Spikes Tactical 300 Blackout (Lothar/Walther Barrel)

I run the 7.5" Adams Arms with fixed Samson HK-style sights; the 10.5" DSG/Seekins/MAG Tactical is fitted with Magpul MBUS sights, the PSA 300 Blackout is fitted with YHM Flip ups and a LDI/Burris OTAL and Fastfire III and the Spikes is fitted with Magpul offset flip-ups and a Burris AR-556 5X prismatic with a Burris Fastfire III, as well as a Specwar 762.  

The 7.5" Adams Arms is absolutely tiny, even with a Noveske KX5.  I am filing paperwork on the Spikes build because I just got a Spikes no-roll mark stripped lower, but will use the pistol lower that's on it now for some other build - probably a 7.62x39 or .22.  

Overall, they're all great fun and functional. I still prefer my SBRs, but I don't regret building the pistols.  Oh, and for the record, none of them have Sig Braces or Blades - I prefer to run them naked.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#24]
The entertainment factor with a 7" is off the charts.
Screenshot_2014-11-26-11-04-59 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#25]
can anyone here honestly say they have ver regretted buying/building a new gun of ANY kind? i can't. there were some i regret selling.......and a couple i traded for something more suitable, but have never regret a new gun.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#26]
No.

But any AR pistol I've built only stayed a pistol until the stamp cleared.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I enjoyed all of my AR pistol builds, but I liked them much more once changed to a SBR. I never tried the Sig Brace and that may have convinced me to leave some as a pistol.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Im not trying to stir the shit pot.  Not trying to get slammed.  Not trying to open up a great debate.

Just curious if anyone ever regretted building one?  Ive really been considering one.  Not sure why I just think it would be a fun little gun to own.  Are they fairly comfortable to shoot?  Hows ergonomics?  What kind of optics do people tend to favor?  Irons or micro red dots?  I really wish I knew someone that owned one so I could go shoot it.

While I'm here I am also curious.  When buying my lower is there anything special I need to do?  Or do I just go buy it like I would any lower?  Do I need to have pistol engraved on its side or anything?  I have been reading away and all the articles I read say if a virgin lower is built into a pistol it CAN be a rifle later.  But a Virgin lower built into a rifle can NOT be a pistol.  So I was just curious how I legally go about buying and building the pistol so that it could be a rifle later on if need be.

When building one is there anything about the process significantly different than building a rifle?  I was reading an article about having your selector detent hole threaded but I did not follow what was being talked about.
View Quote

For me, it was just a legal stepping stone to own/function check everything while i waited on my form1s to clear.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#29]
i love my 9mm Xproducts Outlaw AR pistol
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 12:11:14 AM EDT
[#30]
so is it hands down no brainer to go for a 300BO pistol vs a 556 if i want a home defense gun?  even with a can?    I def want something quiet assuming I wouldn't have time for hearing protection.  also to avoid blinding muzzle flash at night.   I am planning on a suppressed AR pistol and trying to figure out the best setup for me.

thanks!

Quoted:
No RAGRETS (love that movie!) Frankly I was shocked at how soft my 300BO is to shoot.  Built it with the AA XLP piston to keep the innards cool.  Can take deer to around 250yds with a 10.5" barrel, and it is my primary HD and truck gun.  What's not to love?

As for your lower... unless your state says otherwise (I think Idaho is a reasonable state, isn't it?) a lower is a lower.  Build it to a pistol first then you can toggle back and forth to rifle with it if you so choose.  No need for engraving it with anything.

Barrel matters to some extent, but base that on how far you need to shoot effectively.  AR15performance.com makes nice stuff for the price, and the Rainier Selects are some of the best deals going.  Let's be honest though, pistols are probably going to be used well within 300 yds so a 2moa barrel will be 6" groups at that distance.  Most will be used under 100 yds so a 2" capable gun is plenty effective.  If, like me, you intend to hunt with it choose a barrel that will get the job done effectlvely and humanely.

Let's talk calibers.  5.56 from a short barrel is a firework junkie's dream.  They are F$^@#@# LOUD, and they are F*(&^@# fireballs.  I went 300BO because of this.  It's gentle, effective to good ranges, and you don't get the flash-bang effect of the 5.56.  The BO was designed for a full powder burn in about 9" of barrel (which is the minimum barrel length I recommend), where you need twice that for 5.56.  Burning half the powder outside the gun might look cool but you really piss off the people next to you at the range.  Not an issue with the BO.

So build it to its intended purpose, and have no regrets in doing so.

My 3rd child:

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u680/jhend170/Mobile%20Uploads/20140910_223710_zpsx6ijbnb6.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:51:53 AM EDT
[#31]
I absolutely love the builds, all of them. I will tell you that I can not stand the Sig brace. Have not made that mistake again.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 6:58:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Yes.  7.5 inch is too short.  So loud.  Sold it.

Now I have 12 inch barrel on carbine gas.  Soft shooting and much quieter.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#33]
yes the cost.  300 blackout is not cheap. But a blast to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks all, waiting to get back to Idaho so I can pickup my lower and start buying parts.  If I had a stripped lower would that be reason enough to have a pistol barrel?  Im not all that worried about big brother knocking on my door but I don't want to run the risks.  I figure lower first then upper then slowly add parts as I find a good deal.  Barrel may come before other parts.

Still torn on barrel length.  I think for now I am going to stick with 5.56/.223.  Its cheap enough to shoot.  When I am out of school and have a year round job Ill look into a 300 BO.  Ammo is just too spendy for me for right now.  I like the size of the 7.5" barrel guns but the 10" or so would probably be more enjoyable.  Not sure how much hunting I would do with it but it would be a sweet truck/tractor gun for the occasional coyote or rracoon or skunk.  Not sure if the 7.5 or even 10" barrels would give Hornady Vmax bullets enough velocity to work properly?
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:47:29 AM EDT
[#35]

That thing looks like part of the Klingon Empire's arsenal.

My recent build -

I love the SL handguard I just regret they didn't make some in Foliage Green
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#36]
I thought you couldn't have a foregrip on a non sbr ar pistol?

Is the only thing you have to do is have it in its original form a pistol? No need for a special lower or anything?
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I thought you couldn't have a foregrip on a non sbr ar pistol?

Is the only thing you have to do is have it in its original form a pistol? No need for a special lower or anything?
View Quote

My understanding is you can't have a verticle grip but angled ones mike magpul make are good to go.

I asked that earlier.  Buy a lower and build your pistol and you are good to go.  Maybe take a pic of it in pistol form for your records.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I love mine, it's a hoot to shoot.  Just waiting for WA to get their act together in terms of wording for our SBR law so I can get my form 1 submitted.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 11:26:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Not a single regret here. They're a blast. I have 3 and am working on a 4th.
7.5" 5.56 Noveske, huge fireballs, stupid loud
10.5" 9mm RRA, cheap plinker
12.5" 6.8 ARP the deer gun
And a 10.5" 50 Beowulf on the way. You can say I'm addicted.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#40]
No regrets. Love it
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#41]
An AR pistol is just a temporary state of existence while one is waiting for the stamp to come back....
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
An AR pistol is just a temporary state of existence while one is waiting for the stamp to come back....
View Quote

Not true; I have 2 pistols and have zero intentions on paying to sbr them. I spend my nfa money on suppressors.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Nope! Love mine & it's so fun to shoot
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Yes and no. I regret the money I spent on DI uppers. But I love my ARAK21 pistol. But over all I love AR pistols and AR firearms. After getting an ARAK upper I sold all my DI set ups.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:07:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Until I found out how reliable it was, yes. Red dots make it surprisingly capable, and new shooters who want some excessive muzzle blast and flash love it dearly.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#46]
I have 3, a 300BLK, a 556 and a 9mm.  The 9mm is the most enjoyable for me because it's cheap to shoot ergo I shoot more.  

I built the 300blk primarily for suppressed shooting and it's stupid quiet with subsonics.  

I built the 556 to have something shorter for zombie clearing (i.e. range toy for me) but even with a 11" barrel I was surprised at how much velocity you give up.  I knew that going in but 'knowing it' and seeing it on the chronograph and the impact on distance shooting is something else.  Rounds that are 3200FPS in my DMRs are 2600FPS in my pistol.    It does occasionally serve as a truck gun, it's not a MOA shooter but it is minute of zombie out to 300 yards even with a RDS.  

I built the 9mm as a trainer for the family.  Same controls as an AR, roughly the same recoil, uses the same glock mags me and the DW carry.  I have a dedicated 7" TI f1 on it and it's quiet enough to keep newer shooters aka the kids from picking up a flinch reflex and is a good next step up from a 22LR trainer like a MP15-22.  

I can say that all 3 pistols shot 100% out of the box (out of the build?).   The only real problem I had was with the 9mm barrel and after switching to the qc10 barrel which has different geometry on the mouth my issues with banged up rounds went away.  LRBHO on the qc10 build is problematical but that's normal.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#47]
I liked the idea of building one more than actually owning it when I was done

In the process of a trade right now for an HK 45C

I have had a few over the years but never keep them long.  My favorite was the BM Carbon 15 pistol, kinda wish I still had that one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:24:26 PM EDT
[#48]
I would regret that my pistol is a build, and still have some reservations; but at least Seekins rebuilt it for me. =)

And it runs like a Swiss Kenyan.

I learned building with it first, and no regrets there.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Not at all.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 12:26:16 AM EDT
[#50]
I have never regretted building any of my many AR type pistols but living in the Peoples Republik Of Californiastan makes it difficult to say the least..Ive been harassed by RO's..by cops..by friends..been denied  to shoot it at a couple of ranges...but whats odd is nobody has bothered me about my AK pistol or my PPS43c pistol. Its the buffer tube..they all go stupid SBR on me. All mine are different cals but all are 11.5 inch with either bare buffer tubes or one has a SIG brace on it. Its just amazing the amount of FUDD you hear out here about AR pistols.....
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top