Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/5/2015 7:35:30 PM EDT
I thought I read somewhere a while back that anything longer than 2" would be considered a vertical foregrip.  And anything less would be classified as a handstop.  Am I remembering that correctly or are there another criteria that distinguishes the 2 apart?

I ask because I like to use cut down Magpul RVGs as handstops on my rifles.  There is usually about 2" of height left of the RVG once I am done chopping it down.  I've seen some people make a angled cut so the rear portion of the grips are remove to resemble more of a triangle cut.  I would like to use a cut down RVG on my pistol to use as a handstop.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:16:21 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no exact definition. ATF considers them on a one to one basis and decides.

Which is why most folks use ones that already has an approval letter.

- OS
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#2]
thought a VFG had a 90 degree angle
if its not 90 degrees to the hand guard, its not considered a VFG.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

How vertical is vertical? There is no official definition written anywhere by ATF to my knowledge.

Indeed, of course the term is not even mentioned in US Code, and is based entirely on ATF's interpretation regarding "designed to be fired by one hand" thang regarding handguns.

And interestingly, AFAIK there has never been a precedent set by a federal conviction for using any forward grip on a handgun. They tried one in 1993, but was shot down by a District Court and ATF dropped the charges rather than appeal.

- OS

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How vertical is vertical? There is no official definition written anywhere by ATF to my knowledge.

Indeed, of course the term is not even mentioned in US Code, and is based entirely on ATF's interpretation regarding "designed to be fired by one hand" thang regarding handguns.

And interestingly, AFAIK there has never been a precedent set by a federal conviction for using any forward grip on a handgun. They tried one in 1993, but was shot down by a District Court and ATF dropped the charges rather than appeal.

- OS

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Yep, they almost blew their load with that case.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I decided to bypass cutting down a VFG and just ended up buying the Magpul XTM handstop kit to stay away from any kind of issues.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#6]
What does it say on the box?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 5:07:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I decided to bypass cutting down a VFG and just ended up buying the Magpul XTM handstop kit to stay away from any kind of issues.
View Quote

What's the OAL on your ar
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:39:26 AM EDT
[#8]
They are all just rail covers until you piss off a leo then the questions start.  So a) don't piss off a leo or b) stick with items that have documented "not a problem" history.

I find it far less stressful to do a) than stay awake being anxious about b).  Still do my best, never know when some political activist with a badge is going to go into proctology mode.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

if you go to the pinned thread in the pistol section that covers scans of letters from the BATFE that pertain to AR pistols, on page 5 you'll see this:

I believe the BATFE has made the determination of what "vertical" is and it doesn't have anything to do with length.  Just position of the grip in relation to the magwell and bore of the gun.  They specifically say 90 degrees - anything less than 90 cant be considered perpendicular to the bore then

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top