Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/3/2015 5:04:04 AM EDT
I'm assembling a X39 pistol with a 7.5" Radical Arms barrel.

Just need the BCG now and would like to see if anyone can provide input on what has worked for them.

My choices so far are:

Radical Arms

Red Barn

This one is intriguing to buffer recoil of the 7.62x39, but no idea if it is just a gimmick.
Black Rifle Arms

MAS

AIM

KAK

Not looking to break the bank buying the BCG.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:11:02 PM EDT
[#1]
My suggestion is to break the bank and get an LMT bolt and whatever carrier you want to put it in.  An LMT bolt will set you back $170 and then a decent carrier is all you need.  7.62x39 is hard on bolts and extractors.

Do a search on LMT 7.62x39 bolt, then buy one.  You'll save some money in the long run.

http://www.lmtstore.com/parts/bolts-carriers-and-groups-complete/l7r3b.html
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Cason Engineering.

Best bolt money can buy IMO.  I own two.  One is in my rifle.  Second one purchased for a pistol build in progress.  My rifle has over 3000 rounds on the bolt, no breakage, no significant wear.  Just flat out runs.  Brad is top notch with customer service and he will talk to you directly.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The LMT and Carson are both top of the line.... it would be interesting to know what is so different about them that they can justify 3X the price. The LMT has a double spring set up on the extractor claw, but as for metallurgy on both of these nothing special is mentioned.  

Unfortunately those are both out of my price range on this build...

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Kak announced a fourth of July special for 10 percent today (code is "4th"). if u wanna go that route
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:46:49 PM EDT
[#5]
The LMT is proven, The Cason is stainless steel coated with chrome if I remember right. You won't break the LMT and if for some crazy reason you break the Cason, they will replace it. I wanted a LMT but went with the Cason instead and I am very happy with it. I only have about 500 rounds through mine but that is more than what quite a few other bolts break at. I had a Tactical Ambush. out of busines now and didnt trust it, so I switched it to the Cason. You will be money ahead if you put the coin down for one of those. If you don't plan on shooting much, you can go with one of the less expensive ones. That being said, Hamlund Tactical sells one that has a lifetime warranty and I hear the aim one is also good.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:57:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The LMT and Carson are both top of the line.... it would be interesting to know what is so different about them that they can justify 3X the price. The LMT has a double spring set up on the extractor claw, but as for metallurgy on both of these nothing special is mentioned.  

Unfortunately those are both out of my price range on this build...

View Quote

The others will break in a carbine let alone a pistol.  You will be buying extractors and probably another bolt in less than 1,000 rounds, probably less than 500.  The case head in the Russian is just too big for an AR bolt and the lugs shear and that's just the way it is.  It's not a matter of top of the line, it's a matter of breaking vs not breaking.  You can read all you want and this will not change.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:24:09 AM EDT
[#7]
The bolt is where you need to buy the proven ones for a 7.62x39 many of us including myself have tried the cheaper bolts and have gone to either lmt or cason, in which its cost us more in the long run. I know how you feel about the $170 range for the bolt but look at it this way I've spent $50 on the first one and another $170 something for the lmt.

So basically save your money and go lmt or cason even if it takes you a couple extra weeks/months etc of saving. You'll thank us and have less headache.

Gl op

If you don't have mags yet the asc mags work great for me.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:32:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the words of advice. It's going to take some time to same up for a LMT bolt. Guess this pistol won't be ready this summer....
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the words of advice. It's going to take some time to same up for a LMT bolt. Guess this pistol won't be ready this summer....
View Quote

I hear ya. Took me a few months to get mine together. Getting the parts that work the best is worth the wait
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 3:11:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow glad to see LMT is back in the 7.62x39 bolt business.
Its the same bolt from a few years ago isn't it? I remember having to call in and ask them to look in the back to see if they had any left when I got my last 3.
They were only $150 then.

You know with all the 7.62x39 AR rage now maybe ARP will get back into making barrels and bolts for it.
One more vote for LMT op.
If there is anywhere else you can cut corners to get the LMT, do it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 2:30:06 AM EDT
[#11]
LMT is now the plan so the build is held up till I can get that kind of scratch together.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:49:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Found the answer to why the LMT bolt doesn't break on another board from someone selling them:

Most bolts are made out of Carpenter 158 steel, which is very durable. However, the average life span in an M4 carbine who's gas system is much harder on parts is around 10k rounds. Stress fractures can begin to develop in locking lugs at around 4k rounds.

LMT's Enhanced bolt isn't made out of carptenter 158, it isn't even made out of SAE 9310 steel (cheaper than 158 but slightly stronger if properly heat treated). LMT's Enhanced bolts are made out of Aremet 100.

This is a steel that is TWICE AS STRONG as C-158! Not 25% stronger, or 50% stronger, but 100% stronger. x2!!!

In addition, the bolt lugs have relief cuts to cut down on the stress the lugs see, the bolt is also designed so that the cartridge case is fully supported by the bolt face.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Found the answer to why the LMT bolt doesn't break on another board from someone selling them:

Most bolts are made out of Carpenter 158 steel, which is very durable. However, the average life span in an M4 carbine who's gas system is much harder on parts is around 10k rounds. Stress fractures can begin to develop in locking lugs at around 4k rounds.

LMT's Enhanced bolt isn't made out of carptenter 158, it isn't even made out of SAE 9310 steel (cheaper than 158 but slightly stronger if properly heat treated). LMT's Enhanced bolts are made out of Aremet 100.

This is a steel that is TWICE AS STRONG as C-158! Not 25% stronger, or 50% stronger, but 100% stronger. x2!!!

In addition, the bolt lugs have relief cuts to cut down on the stress the lugs see, the bolt is also designed so that the cartridge case is fully supported by the bolt face.
View Quote

They are very good bolts. They also clean up very easy.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm thinking about picking up just a carrier until I get the funds together for the LMT bolt, but not easy to find since everyone is selling the complete BCG cheap. I might end up buying a 223 BCG, replace with the LMT x39 and keep the 223 bolt as a spare.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I has the same problem, but primary arms has WMD Nib coated m16 bcg for sale for $88. Just got two of em and they look good to me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about picking up just a carrier until I get the funds together for the LMT bolt, but not easy to find since everyone is selling the complete BCG cheap. I might end up buying a 223 BCG, replace with the LMT x39 and keep the 223 bolt as a spare.
View Quote

That's what I did. The lmt I have looks like it can take a beating

It's the same carrier unless you go with the mgi carrier and their lower ect. It's set up for the ak mags which when I can afford it I'll go that route.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 12:03:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I has the same problem, but primary arms has WMD Nib coated m16 bcg for sale for $88. Just got two of em and they look good to me.
View Quote

Looks like their out of stock on those. I use Hoppes #9 a lot and understand the nib is compromised with it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 12:23:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's the same carrier unless you go with the mgi carrier and their lower ect. It's set up for the ak mags which when I can afford it I'll go that route.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder how they did the mag lock up.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 12:31:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I read the 50 Beowulf uses the same bolt as the 7.62x39. Anyone thought or tried using a 50 Beo bolt?
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top