Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2015 2:27:56 AM EDT
Hello, I apologize if this is int he wrong section. I couldn't find a place dedicated to SBR's. I tried using the search button and nothing of use to me came up. Here goes. I have an AR15. 16 inch carbine length gas system in .223. I wanna get a short barreled upper and get my SBR tax stamp. My buddy told me that you need the serial number for the lower to file for it. I was wondering if I could file now and wait to get approved/ denied then buy the upper? I don't have a reason to get denied, just erring on the side of caution.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:47:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Stamp first. Short barrel later. It's mostly illegal to have a short barrel and a rifle, as they assume you will make an illegal weapon.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:32:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stamp first. Short barrel later. It's mostly illegal to have a short barrel and a rifle, as they assume you will make an illegal weapon.
View Quote

Yep what he said. Send off the paperwork and forget about it. 90 days later you will know one way or another and then can assemble the weapon if approved. Don't forget to have the power engraved with appropriate information.

ETA: lots of information in the class 3 forums and sbr specific discussion in the armory section.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Build up a pistol lower and keep it on hand.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#5]
90 days, I don't think so, more like six months unless you can e-file it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Build up a pistol lower and keep it on hand.
View Quote

Doesn't even need to be "built". All parts count, including the ones in the rifle's lower.

- OS
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys. Also i was wondering if i can take it out of state to my grandparents farm house in another state? Or does it have to stay in the state i live in?
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. Also i was wondering if i can take it out of state to my grandparents farm house in another state? Or does it have to stay in the state i live in?
View Quote

SBRs? Yeah,  have to have approved form on file with ATF to carry to other states.

https://www.atf.gov/file/61536/download

- OS
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top