Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2015 5:38:05 PM EDT
Received my new Radical Firearms AR pistol in x39. I was going to go with the 10.5, but decided to go with the 7.5. I plan on SBRing it so the 7.5 will give me options. I put a primary arms micro dot on it along with BUIS. Before I give you a range report, I have to say I was not impressed with Primary Arms. First, they gave me a 5.56 pmag instead of the x39 mag. Thankfully I had 2 on order from Gun Mag Warehouse and they arrived this morning in the mail (still waiting on the one from Primary Arms). Second, the retaining pin for the firing pin was all bent up so that it wouldn't go through the hole on the other side of the BCG. I picked up a new one from my LGS so that's taken care of. Other than that, everything was great.

I took it to the range this afternoon. Zeroed the red dot and BUIS. The gun ran flawlessly. No FTE or FTF. After I zeroed it, I ran it hard to see if i had any cycling or mag issues. It did everything I asked of it. The recoil was very manageable and the muzzle rise was minimal. The part I was most impressed with was its accuracy. When it comes to x39 I usually say "AKuracy", but no need with this pistol. The AR platform does wonders for that round. All I can say is it is crazy accurate! Clover leafing at 25yds. More than good enough and far better than I expected, and I am not a great shot. I never ever shot an AK that accurately. So no complaints there. I'll take it to the outdoor range in a few days and do some 100 yard shots.

But man was it loud! I mean real loud. There was a significant fireball. But hey its a 7.5" barrel. I have a flash can coming, hope it helps. So other than the things I pointed out above, its a good gun.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Holy crap.....7.5" with 7.62??

Shoot a video and let us hear it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the update.  I picked up a 10.5 during Radical's sale + a gas block.  SInce then I have been slowly finding parts.  Got a BCG from AIM.  Anxiously looking forward to getting all the parts and getting it built. What BCG did you use and what ammo and mags have your tried?

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 2:33:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you have a linear comp or another type of blast diverter? I imagine with a bird cage it would be very loud.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 3:04:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice I'm glad it's running great.. I got the 10.5 " 7.62x39 but mine has the not locking back issue right now. Haven't had time to go back and re test it yet. It feeds good off asc mags though. Also have a kak flash can and with hearing pro it seems quieter then my 5.56 16" with a comp.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 7:29:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you have a linear comp or another type of blast diverter? I imagine with a bird cage it would be very loud.
View Quote

As tested it has the bird cage. However I have a blast can coming from KAK. Hope that helps a little.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 7:32:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the update.  I picked up a 10.5 during Radical's sale + a gas block.  SInce then I have been slowly finding parts.  Got a BCG from AIM.  Anxiously looking forward to getting all the parts and getting it built. What BCG did you use and what ammo and mags have your tried?

View Quote

Not sure on the BCG. It came with the gun and doesnt have any markings. I am sure its a cheap one. I am looking for another upper in 10.5+ in x39. I will probably upgrade the BGC then. I know the x39 is hard on bolts so it would help to have a couple extras on hand if I plan on shooting it a lot.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice I'm glad it's running great.. I got the 10.5 " 7.62x39 but mine has the not locking back issue right now. Haven't had time to go back and re test it yet. It feeds good off asc mags though. Also have a kak flash can and with hearing pro it seems quieter then my 5.56 16" with a comp.
View Quote

Is it under gassed like the port is too small or something else?  Is this common with the 10.5?  Is there a port size chart for x39?
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is it under gassed like the port is too small or something else?  Is this common with the 10.5?  Is there a port size chart for x39?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That or its the st-t2 heavy buffer I have in it. I have a regular buffer I'm going to try and also have an adjustable gas block to mess with.  

I think radical firearms put a bigger port size in them already.  If I get a chance to try it out today ill report back.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I just bought one as well and SBR'd it.  i'm using a North Eastern Arms Compact Carbine Stock on it. Still waiting on the bolt to arrive so haven't test fired it yet. I also put a small Krinkon it for right now but my intention is to build a 4 or 5" Form 1 moderator for it, to take the edge off.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Just added some rail covers and a KAK flash can. I shot about 40 rounds with the new can. MUCH quieter, but not really quiet (you know what i mean). Here is "Natasha" in her finished form.

" />

" />
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:29:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just added some rail covers and a KAK flash can. I shot about 40 rounds with the new can. MUCH quieter, but not really quiet (you know what i mean). Here is "Natasha" in her finished form.

http://<a href=http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu231/CichlidPastor/AR/SixPointEight%20SPC%20Sweetie/Natasha/20150519_113426_1.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu231/CichlidPastor/AR/SixPointEight%20SPC%20Sweetie/Natasha/20150519_113351.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Looks Great - That is the exact look I want!  Black & OD furniture/higlights with a blade or Brace in 7.62x39.

Keep us up to date on its feeding habits.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:30:08 AM EDT
[#12]
This is, verbatim, the pistol I'm going to build.  Got a stripped upper, PA micro dot with QD mount, Sig Brace/KAK tube, and a KAK flash can on hand.  I was going back and forth on the barrel length between 7.5 and 10.5, but you just made that decision for me.  Long term I want to SBR it as well.  Whats your ejection like?  My carbine was flinging them out so hard it was beating up the deflector so I went with a Spikes T-3 and that got me a perfect 3 o'clock eject, but now I've got 1 out of my 4 C Products mags that won't lock back.  I'm thinking I will definitely be getting an adjustable gas block for the pistol so I can tune it in a little easier.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is, verbatim, the pistol I'm going to build.  Got a stripped upper, PA micro dot with QD mount, Sig Brace/KAK tube, and a KAK flash can on hand.  I was going back and forth on the barrel length between 7.5 and 10.5, but you just made that decision for me. Long term I want to SBR it as well.  Whats your ejection like?  My carbine was flinging them out so hard it was beating up the deflector so I went with a Spikes T-3 and that got me a perfect 3 o'clock eject, but now I've got 1 out of my 4 C Products mags that won't lock back.  I'm thinking I will definitely be getting an adjustable gas block for the pistol so I can tune it in a little easier.
View Quote

Yes. Yes you do...

" />
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is, verbatim, the pistol I'm going to build.  Got a stripped upper, PA micro dot with QD mount, Sig Brace/KAK tube, and a KAK flash can on hand.  I was going back and forth on the barrel length between 7.5 and 10.5, but you just made that decision for me. Long term I want to SBR it as well.  Whats your ejection like?  My carbine was flinging them out so hard it was beating up the deflector so I went with a Spikes T-3 and that got me a perfect 3 o'clock eject, but now I've got 1 out of my 4 C Products mags that won't lock back.  I'm thinking I will definitely be getting an adjustable gas block for the pistol so I can tune it in a little easier.

Yes. Yes you do...

http://<a href=http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t53/pdmundt/IMG_3873_zpsdbwqcs5z.jpg</a>" />

I have an Aero M5 project in the works and I'm almost finished. You're not making it easy to focus on that though....  
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#15]
What bolt are you using?

I am building one for 7.62x39 and I'm going to use a Radical Firearms 10.5" barrel. I only need to buy my barrel and bolt to finish it. I'm still trying to decide what bolt to get. Here's my 7.62x39 build.

Keep in mind that it is this way because of friends of mine around the country who sent me free parts they had lying around and also because I won the upper receiver in a random giveaway.

The parts list on this are:
Anderson forged lower receiver (I had bought it a year ago and it was just sitting on my shelf - I had no money to build anything on it after I picked it up from my local FFL)

Right to Bear Arms & Supply nickel teflon upper receiver (that's the part I won in the giveaway)

Phase 5 pistol buffer tube and Magpul endplate plus buffer and spring and gas tube (gift from a friend in Alaska)

Magpule MOE grip and matching FDE trigger guard (gift from a friend in Washington state)

Low profile gas block (manufacturer unknown - gift from a friend in Oregon)

JP Industries (made for Viking Tactical) 9" hand guard, Noveske trigger and 60 degree ambi safety (gift from an active duty soldier friend in Maryland)

Aero Precision bolt carrier (gift from another friend)

Fortis Mfg. RED muzzle brake. (gift from a friend in Wa,)

So, just the barrel and bolt to go.

There are some BUIS sights now too - another gift from a friend. There is also a cheap Truglo red dot that I had lying around. They will suffice for initial test firing and will be replaced later. The red dot and the BUS sights aren't in the picture.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:42:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What bolt are you using?

I am building one for 7.62x39 and I'm going to use a Radical Firearms 10.5" barrel. I only need to buy my barrel and bolt to finish it. I'm still trying to decide what bolt to get. Here's my 7.62x39 build.

Keep in mind that it is this way because of friends of mine around the country who sent me free parts they had lying around and also because I won the upper receiver in a random giveaway.

The parts list on this are:
Anderson forged lower receiver (I had bought it a year ago and it was just sitting on my shelf - I had no money to build anything on it after I picked it up from my local FFL)

Right to Bear Arms & Supply nickel teflon upper receiver (that's the part I won in the giveaway)

Phase 5 pistol buffer tube and Magpul endplate plus buffer and spring and gas tube (gift from a friend in Alaska)

Magpule MOE grip and matching FDE trigger guard (gift from a friend in Washington state)

Low profile gas block (manufacturer unknown - gift from a friend in Oregon)

JP Industries (made for Viking Tactical) 9" hand guard, Noveske trigger and 60 degree ambi safety (gift from an active duty soldier friend in Maryland)

Aero Precision bolt carrier (gift from another friend)

Fortis Mfg. RED muzzle brake. (gift from a friend in Wa,)

So, just the barrel and bolt to go.

There are some BUIS sights now too - another gift from a friend. There is also a cheap Truglo red dot that I had lying around. They will suffice for initial test firing and will be replaced later. The red dot and the BUS sights aren't in the picture.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f59/whsmith4th/P1010075_zps04a97f77.jpg
View Quote

I'm running a Cason Engineering bolt on my Carbine and I picked up a second for my Pistol. It's tough and reliable. Comes with an enhanced firing pin. Definitely worth looking at IMO.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:11:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm running a Cason Engineering bolt on my Carbine and I picked up a second for my Pistol. It's tough and reliable. Comes with an enhanced firing pin. Definitely worth looking at IMO.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. I'll check them out. I already have an enhanced firing pin. Just need a bolt.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Whats your ejection like? .
View Quote

It's very hard. that I don't like,  I lose a lot of brass. If you come up with a solution let me know.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:21:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Use this

You can try heavier buffer weights and adjustable gas block to reduce the ejection force, but a brass catcher is the surefire way to keep them around for reloading.
A hard case brass catcher was denting my brass, so I had to pad the inside. The Caldwell looks the best so far, but I haven't picked one up yet to try it out.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#20]
OK Finally got mine going. It wasn't that easy.

I'm using the 10.5 Radical, Inexpensive UTG style free float Handguards with removable rails from ebay, Anderson LPK, and A3 Upper.  ASC 10 rounder mag. Fixed cheap gasblock from radical with gas tube (carbine length).  AIM BCG with elongated Firing Pin.  Awaiting KAK flash Can to install.

What I found was it didn't feed well at all then I did the following:

1) Extend / grind feedramps into the Anderson Upper and mate with the barrel feed ramps.  I widened them a bit, then polished them mirror using a dremel with grinding and polishing bits.  

2) Ground down the front of the ASC mag so that rounds moved out easier  This is covered in a few different threads - essentially tried it without grinding and the bullet woud snag.  So I followed popular method of removing it and it did improve.

3) polish the indentations and inside of the feed lops of the ASC mag - improved shucking the cartirdges by hand by a lot!

After this - it feeds wolf  and brass FMJ 100% for 100 rds.

Feeding Wolf HPs - the tiny flat HPs snag on the feedramps occassonally.  But I am glad I got it running this good.

I will be looking at other mags - C-Products and maybe some others.    

My first x39 AR project - I may have to take this deer hunting!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I think 7.5" bbl length is workable in x39mm.   I just ran a quick ballistics calculator at 1900 fps on a 123 gr bullet and I'm getting a good point blank zero (+ or - 5") out to about 230 yards with a 25/200yd zero.  I'm seeing a 24" drop at 300 yds which isn't too shabby for a PSD type weapon.  

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I just got a 16" radical firearms upper, put it on a psa complete lower and thing ran great with a 10 ASC mag.  I had a 20 round ASC mag that needed ground down at the front but it runs well now.  I was thrilled with the accuracy at 50 yards, wolf ammo shot several sub 1in 3 shot groups need to see how it shoots further out.  One thing with radical is they are a little slow if you order from them expect a bit of a wait, but they tell you 3 to 5 weeks and mine was at my house exactly at 5 weeks.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just got a 16" radical firearms upper, put it on a psa complete lower and thing ran great with a 10 ASC mag.  I had a 20 round ASC mag that needed ground down at the front but it runs well now.  I was thrilled with the accuracy at 50 yards, wolf ammo shot several sub 1in 3 shot groups need to see how it shoots further out.  One thing with radical is they are a little slow if you order from them expect a bit of a wait, but they tell you 3 to 5 weeks and mine was at my house exactly at 5 weeks.
View Quote

sub 1" at 50. That round could never do that in an AK

Also I ordered mine through Primary Arms and got it in a week and half.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 12:17:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had just found out about Radical firearms and that they are down the street from me. I usually go to primary arms but heck, when radical had their barrel for 59.00 bucks a few weeks ago, I drove over and got it. Glad I did because it shoots great. I have not tried wolf yet, just golden tiger. I am gonna try out my suppressor this week on the x39. Hope it goes well.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 7:09:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I had just found out about Radical firearms and that they are down the street from me. I usually go to primary arms but heck, when radical had their barrel for 59.00 bucks a few weeks ago, I drove over and got it. Glad I did because it shoots great. I have not tried wolf yet, just golden tiger. I am gonna try out my suppressor this week on the x39. Hope it goes well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool!  Nice having them so close!  The $59 barrel was unbelievable perhaps going down as my best AR parts buy ever!  - Like you, mine shoots very accurately.  I think my feeding problems all stemmed from mags and Upper (cheap Anderson) feed ramps - some work with a Dremel and its a champ with FMJ Russian ammo!

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In fairness if you make those 5 shot groups they would have opened up a bit.  Seems like wolf has a flyer every 5th or 6th round.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#27]
D-Day sale at Radical Firearms for the 7.5" x39 barrel
http://www.radicalfirearms.com/product-p/7.5-76239.htm

Just placed my order
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Use this

You can try heavier buffer weights and adjustable gas block to reduce the ejection force, but a brass catcher is the surefire way to keep them around for reloading.
A hard case brass catcher was denting my brass, so I had to pad the inside. The Caldwell looks the best so far, but I haven't picked one up yet to try it out.
View Quote

I got a couple of those brass catchers. They stay where you put them, and work well for 5.56.  Haven't tried one with a 7.62 x 39.....  
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
D-Day sale at Radical Firearms for the 7.5" x39 barrel
http://www.radicalfirearms.com/product-p/7.5-76239.htm

Just placed my order
View Quote

That price has me just about ready to order a 7.5in barrel just for the heck of it. Maybe even the full upper. That price is crazy.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#30]
...and assemble it on one of these with one of these, figure to be at $200 for the completed upper minus BCG. Too hard to pass up.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:12:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I put a flash hider for my SilencerCo Saker 762 and I was amazed how well it suppressed the flash.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Just ordered a 10.5" complete 556 from them with a round foregrip. Can't wait until it comes in. Glad to see that people still have good things to say about Radical Firearms.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#33]
My Radical 10.5 7.62x39 is now working well with all loads including HPs.

I took my time and made the feed ramps into a single "unibrow" style versus the double M4 style.  I did open them up initially but still had problems with Hollow Points hitting the center and jamming.  Removed the center , polished well, and its working great.

Its a bit involved to get these 7.62 guns working well, but mine seems to now work well with all the cheap import ammo.

I bought this as a stand alone barrel from radical for $59 on sale and it was worth every penny and more. It shoots amazing with just BUIS!   Hit cheap shaken pop cans at 40 yds = lots of fun.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm still loving my radical barrel. I went ahead and changed out my ff tube to a seekins from the dd I had on it. Have not had any feed issues what so ever as of yet. I am using asc 20 and 30 round mags.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu231/CichlidPastor/AR/SixPointEight%20SPC%20Sweetie/Natasha/20150519_113426_1.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu231/CichlidPastor/AR/SixPointEight%20SPC%20Sweetie/Natasha/20150519_113351.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Nice little can of whoop ass right there...
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My Radical 10.5 7.62x39 is now working well with all loads including HPs.

I took my time and made the feed ramps into a single "unibrow" style versus the double M4 style.  I did open them up initially but still had problems with Hollow Points hitting the center and jamming.  Removed the center , polished well, and its working great.

Its a bit involved to get these 7.62 guns working well, but mine seems to now work well with all the cheap import ammo.

I bought this as a stand alone barrel from radical for $59 on sale and it was worth every penny and more. It shoots amazing with just BUIS!   Hit cheap shaken pop cans at 40 yds = lots of fun.

View Quote

Would you know why mine is eating extractors?  I'm good for about 100-150 rounds before it shatters...
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Could be the bolt and or extractors you are using. Before I started having any problems out of mine,  bought a Cason Eng. LMT is also top's. I hated to have to spend the coin but the Cason is guaranteed and I believe the LMT is also. Though I don't think you can just get LMT extractors when you want to .
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Hey guys, wondering if you can offer any help. I just got my radical 7.5" 7.62 pistol, and I'm having nothing but issues so far.

I have 2 asc 30 round mags, and 2 cproducts 28 round mags, same problem with all the mags.

First 10 rounds or so with cproducts mag worked fine, then after that get a failure every round in all mags. It seems to fail to eject the spent cartridge properly and then tries to load another round into the chamber and jams them together.  Shooting cheap wolf ammo, all I had for the first outing. Maybe I have to shoot brass?

Not sure what to do, fairly new with the ar/ak weapons, any advice or links greatly appreciated.

Couple of pics

IMG_7025

IMG_7018

Thanks
Kevin
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Hey guys, wondering if you can offer any help. I just got my radical 7.5" 7.62 pistol, and I'm having nothing but issues so far.

I have 2 asc 30 round mags, and 2 cproducts 28 round mags, same problem with all the mags.

First 10 rounds or so with cproducts mag worked fine, then after that get a failure every round in all mags. It seems to fail to eject the spent cartridge properly and then tries to load another round into the chamber and jams them together.  Shooting cheap wolf ammo, all I had for the first outing. Maybe I have to shoot brass?

Not sure what to do, fairly new with the ar/ak weapons, any advice or links greatly appreciated.

Couple of pics

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/vBVgcm" target="_blank">https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/407/19440815686_8512c23fcb_z.jpg</a>IMG_7025

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/vDEqm7" target="_blank">https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3793/19460552782_cd5fc3b9d4_z.jpg</a>IMG_7018

Thanks
Kevin
View Quote

Try loading one round and see if you get bolt lock. If not, probably under gassed and you'll need to open her up a bit. If yes, then try 2 rounds and see if you get the double feed still. Might be the buffer....what type are you running? Might try one of the heavier ones to increase dwell time.

Before I cut on that rifle I'd try and find a few more mags to test it with and some different types of ammo.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#40]

Try loading one round and see if you get bolt lock. If not, probably under gassed and you'll need to open her up a bit. If yes, then try 2 rounds and see if you get the double feed still. Might be the buffer....what type are you running? Might try one of the heavier ones to increase dwell time.

Before I cut on that rifle I'd try and find a few more mags to test it with and some different types of ammo.
View Quote

Thanks, I will try with one round and see what I get.  

I just have whatever buffer Radical sent with it from the factory, I made an assumption the pistol would cycle from the factory I guess.

Does this issue seem like a magazine issue? Since all 4 magazines, from two different companies are behaving this way I didn't think that would be the case.

Appreciate the help!
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I just have whatever buffer Radical sent with it from the factory, I made an assumption the pistol would cycle from the factory I guess.

Does this issue seem like a magazine issue? Since all 4 magazines, from two different companies are behaving this way I didn't think that would be the case.

Appreciate the help!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Appreciate the help!

IMHO Radical Firearms has some very, very serious QC issues.  If I buy a Radical upper again I'll treat it as parts, disassemble it and reassemble to specification.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top