Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2015 3:25:06 PM EDT
I'm building my first pistol, a 10.5" with carbine gas system on top.  The buffer tube that KAK sells with the Shockwave kit is considerably shorter than the tube for the SB15.  Do you think I'll lose reliability when shortening the tube that much?  Picture below.

I was going to get a SB15 pistol brace for my ATF approved one handed pistol bracing needs, but I discovered the Shockwave while shopping around, and it looks like a winner.  I remember reading that shorter buffer tubes cause reliability problems, but I think I recall that the offending tubes were really, really short.  What do you guys think?

Picture stolen from a handy article at TheFirearmBlog.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/04/14/pistol-brace-comparison/

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#1]
KAK Shockwave tube is standard carbine/pistol length. KAK super tube is same internal length as standard carbine/pistol, adds about 1.5" to overall length.

The picture is a bit exaggerated due to angle.  

- OS
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Those tubes both have the same internal length.  When people are referring to the shortened tubes they are talking about the GSE type tubes that do not use a standard carbine buffer and spring.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#3]
So the Shockwave tube isn't any shorter than the tube that I'd use with a normal carbine collapsible stock?  Perfect!  Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So the Shockwave tube isn't any shorter than the tube that I'd use with a normal carbine collapsible stock? ....
View Quote

Correct. It takes standard carbine length spring and buffers.

- OS
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top