Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/29/2015 8:43:10 PM EDT
I picked up a Diamondback DB15 pistol a few weeks ago. First time I shot it, I put 90 rounds through it with no issues. This was out of the box, and I had not cleaned it before.  After that session, I clean and lubed it using Froglube. Took it out last week, and it would jam after every shot. The round would not eject, and this was causing the jamming. After, that I cleaned /lubed it with Ballistol. Examined the bolt, and parts, and everything looked good.

I took it out today, and am having the same issues. Jams on every shot. I'm using the same ammo and mags I used the first time I shot it, when it worked fine.

Cleaned it again today, and everything looks ok as far as I can tell.

Anyone have any feedback on what might be causing this issue?  Don't realy feel like shipping it back to Diamondback, so I'm hoping it's something minor. Thanks for the help in advance.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#1]
How was it jamming? When you cleaned it how detailed did you strip it down? I ask this because I have heard of people taking off gas keys and all kinds of stuff that leads to bad things.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Froglube can be sticky at low temps. Since that's the only thing you changed, that would be the first thing I would suspect. I would try thoroughly cleaning off the Froglube and try a different lube that performs well at low temps, like RemOil.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#3]
The spent casing does not get ejected that that is causing it to jam. I have to pull back of the charging handle to let the spent case fall out. As far as cleaning, just disassembled and cleaned the BCG.

As far as the Froglube, I cleaned and lubed it with Ballistol before this last trip, so the Froglube should not be an issue.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The spent casing does not get ejected that that is causing it to jam. I have to pull back of the charging handle to let the spent case fall out. As far as cleaning, just disassembled and cleaned the BCG.

As far as the Froglube, I cleaned and lubed it with Ballistol before this last trip, so the Froglube should not be an issue.
View Quote

Did you take the bolt apart? If so did you put the extractor back together properly?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, I took it apart and put it back together correctly.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you have a way to check the gas block?  It could have come loose during the initial firing. Try different magazines and ammunition , and check and clean your buffer tube.

Also check the screws on your BCG to see if they are still tight and staked properly, I have had  screws break off during test firing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Pics, video's?  Was ammo the same, steel? Brass?  How did you clean it, did you scrub off the frog lube?  Did you use a chamber brush?  Did you inspect gas system to make sure nothing came loose?  Did you inspect your extractor to make sure it is still completely in tact?  Did you inspect your extractor spring, if so is it back appropriately with insert?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Ammo?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't know how to check the gas block. Will google that.

Ammo is Winchester .223 FMJ.

I cleaned and scrubbed the gun well, so the Froglube should be gone.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:27:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a pistol with the same issue and a #60 oring in the extractor took care of the problem.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:33:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, looks like I have the o ring, but there does not appear to be the insert inI the Spring that I'm used to seeing on AR's, including my DPMS. Could this be the source of my problems?  Do all springs have these inserts?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:14:52 AM EDT
[#13]
BCM extractor kits are this site's favorite thing to get a nonfunctioning gun going good enough just to make the owner happy.

The o-ring is the newest addon. It's supposed to improve reliability and the extractor springs service life. Same theory behind the insert. The o-ring has only been in use a couple years, and NONE of that crap should be needed to make the gun run. It was for hard use weapons in adverse conditions over a period of time. Not brand new guns, just to cycle in mild, normal conditions.

As for your problem, did you switch ammo between range trips, and even if you didn't, have you tried other kinds?

Leaving oil in the chamber can cause higher chamber pressures I've heard.

Is this NEW, CLEAN 5.56? When you cleaned the gun, did you clean the chamber? (normally not needed, but maybe there's something in there causing casings to stick.

By far not the only DB pistol with issues in here though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:27:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Going to replace the spring and give it a good cleaning. Will update with results.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a DB and it runs just fine after probably 1000 rds or more of .22 and .223/556. I have heard others send theirs back and the gun gets fixed. Get it fixed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I called DB today and they are sending me a shipping label. I'm just going to send it back and let them figure it out. Just hope I don't get a "we could not replicate the problem" response.

any tips for removing a Sig Brace before I ship?  That thing is super tight, and I don't see it budging.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Do you have a way to check the gas block?  It could have come loose during the initial firing. Try different magazines and ammunition , and check and clean your buffer tube.

Also check the screws on your BCG to see if they are still tight and staked properly, I have had  screws break off during test firing.
View Quote

I second this advice.  Mine must have been built on a Friday afternoon because the gas block set screws came loose allowing the gas block to move forward and it started spraying gas back @ the shooter. A dead giveaway.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:35:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, the thought trying to get the Sig Brace off convinced me to go do a little trouble shooting at the range this evening. First, shot the gun with one round in the mag with Wolf and Winchester.  Gun had been jamming with Winchester. Anyway, the bolt stayed open after both rounds. According to my research, this indicates that it isn't a gas system problem.

Next, loaded up a mag with 5 rounds of Winchesester. Gun jammed as it had been doing before. I them swapped extractors, putting the extractor from my DPMS AR into the DB15. Fired about 10 rounds (5 of each kind of ammo) without any issues.  Then, put the original extractor back in, and fired another 10 rounds without any issue. Go figure.

Anyway, going to replace the extractor spring and o-ring, and just keep monitoring it. Going to hold off on sending to Diamonback for now.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:13:55 AM EDT
[#19]
If your going to replace the extractor spring, this is about as good as it gets:

Colt Gold

No o-ring needed with it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:29:14 AM EDT
[#20]
the gas block came loose
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
the gas block came loose
View Quote

You know, now that I think about it, when I was cleaning it a couple of weeks ago, I sprayed some Ballistol down the barrel amd noticed that a little leaked onto the outside of the barrel. Would this be indicative of a loose gas block?  

Getting the hanguard off these these doesn't appear to be as easy as a normal AR. Hate to send it back to Diamondback for what sounds like to be a quick fix. May take it to a local gunsmith if that's an issue.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Here is the best info I have found, it is for carbine but is applicable
I be Jammin
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Re: Sig brace removal.
My pistol had one on when I got it, didn't really like it so I shot some WD-40 or such into the hole in the back and it pulled right off. Spray some lube on the buffer tube and it slides right back on. Easy.
Hope this helps someone.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Was going to go the WD40 route, but I'm not even sure I could wedge the red straw that comes with the can between the brace and the buffer tube. It's that tight.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#25]
The WD-40 will seep into and down the tube between the buffer tube and brace. Just stand it in the corner to let gravity help. I hope that the solvents in the WD-40 does not attack the plastic brace (you might want to test that first).

Then get a couple of those gold (or bronze) extractor springs. Then you can skip that extractor donut/spacer or other plunger crap. Just the bronze springs and black spring insert.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:11:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a DB and it runs just fine after probably 1000 rds or more of .22 and .223/556. I have heard others send theirs back and the gun gets fixed. Get it fixed.
View Quote

22LR doesn't count towards the round count. Round count is helpful to know for preventative maintenance and to help gauge quality. 22LR doesn't put enough force on anything to attreibute wear and tear of full pressure 5.56.

So  "1000 rds or more" isn't a good gauge if 100 of it was 223/556 and 900 was 22LR.

I recommend contacting DB and making them fix their gun. I believe the older DB pocket pistol failed because of quality/reliability issues. So I don't think DB has learned their lesson.

That said, it's proven on this site that if you make something really cheap and put it on the shelves; people will buy it and therefore have great loyalty to it and the maker.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:12:52 AM EDT
[#27]
double
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top