Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/28/2015 11:18:38 PM EDT
I took my Black Rain Ordnance AR pistol in to have the lower engraved in anticipation of SBRing it. The pistol has a Sig brace and is completely un modified from the factory. When I gave the case to the guy at the counter he started lecturing me about how I was committing a felony by putting the lower and upper close to each other. The upper and lower were not attached. I asked him about the pistol with the Sig brace on the wall. The dude said that one was different because it was registered as a pistol. I said mine was to. It was a factory pistol. The dude basically told me that if I ran into LEO and he thought I had the intent to make an SBR I was going to prison. I like
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:29:27 PM EDT
[#1]

What's the name of the store, so I may avoid it's future use?

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Tell him he is full of crap, and that you will deal with smarter people for all your future business. I realize the whole collection of bullshit from ATFE in re SBRs, pistols, Sig braces can be a bit confusing (personally I think ATF does that intentionally) but the guy ought to know better. It is a pistol until you have your Form for it, at which point you can put a stock on it, and be legal. That is IIRC. We deal with it almost daily, and even I have to think about it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:44:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I took my Black Rain Ordnance AR pistol in to have the lower engraved in anticipation of SBRing it. The pistol has a Sig brace and is completely un modified from the factory. When I gave the case to the guy at the counter he started lecturing me about how I was committing a felony by putting the lower and upper close to each other. The upper and lower were not attached. I asked him about the pistol with the Sig brace on the wall. The dude said that one was different because it was registered as a pistol. I said mine was to. It was a factory pistol. The dude basically told me that if I ran into LEO and he thought I had the intent to make an SBR I was going to prison. I like
View Quote

....like what?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:49:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Where do you live that you have to register pistols?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:25:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Was is... registering? a pistol? or anything? I don't understand....

Seriously, most of everyone doesn't know the laws. I'd tell him to research it.

LGS's are generally not fun places.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:58:41 AM EDT
[#6]
What?  You mean to say a guy behind the counter of a LGS was full of derp and didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground?  You found the only one.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:32:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Is it safe to assume you didn't leave the lower at that GS to get engraved?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:59:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

In The Mitten State,one needs the blessing of the Local LEO with a Purchase Permit or CPL to even Purchase a pistol,then you have 10 days after purchase to turn in the paperwork,aka "registering" in my book.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:45:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Your average "gun guy" knows just enough information to give terrible advise. This is how urban legend law myths are created. If someone who wasn't as informed as the OP was told this load of BS, they would believe it and likely spread it to their friends, and so on, and so on. It's like the old "shoot em outside but be sure to drag em inside before the police get there" advise.    Works every time!
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Replace word dude with dick and you are GTG
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Gun store commando trying to win the measuring contest. You obviously won.

I'll get my build done soon and it's food for thought about how to handle the volunteer ATF quislings and Range Nazi's who will likely intrude. AR pistols are a difficult thing for them right now as they offend Fudds, and we have many Fudds in the AR community who have bailed on supporting the pistol. The ominous warning belches written as letters have frightened many into believing it's a complete ban on possession.

Since an AR pistol carefully built will be less than 26", making it concealable, perhaps that's the way to treat them. Concealed means concealed - don't let others in on what you are doing when so many are misinformed and worse than ignorant about it.

First time I take it out I will likely take someone else to keep the slack jaws and busy bodies literally away from the lane. We can trade working overwatch and each of us have a try at it uninterrupted or harassed.

Things are still being stupid and the public is always the worst informed and last to know. It's going to go on for years.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

....like what?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

....like what?

I was typing the OP up while at dinner with my kids. What I meant to say was I like that store and won't throw them under the bus publicly but it was disappointing to hear. One other thing that was a topic of conversation at the store was on the engraving. The gun counter guy kept telling me that I should file my form 1 for SBRing the rifle BEFORE I engraved the lower. I thought I needed the lower engraved before I filed. Since this is my first SBR I wasn't really sure what the answer is, but I certainky don't trust what that guy was telling me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Engrave it first. Reason being is if your engraver fucks something up after the form1 is in hand (and it sounds like this guy will) then your left with a $200 paper weight.

The engraving must match what is on the form.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

In The Mitten State,one needs the blessing of the Local LEO with a Purchase Permit or CPL to even Purchase a pistol,then you have 10 days after purchase to turn in the paperwork,aka "registering" in my book.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damm, that sucks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:05:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Engrave it first. Reason being is if your engraver fucks something up after the form1 is in hand (and it sounds like this guy will) then your left with a $200 paper weight.
The engraving must match what is on the form.
View Quote

Good advice. But even if your engraver fucks up, there is no restriction on engraving the same receiver again. May look like shit, but will still be legal.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:51:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
But even if your engraver fucks up, there is no restriction on engraving the same receiver again. May look like shit, but will still be legal.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure the ATF is going to have some pointy questions and PMITA vacation specials if they catch you with an NFA item with more than one serial number.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

He's a fucking idiot.   Just say "That's nice dear" and take your business elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure the ATF is going to have some pointy questions and PMITA vacation specials if they catch you with an NFA item with more than one serial number.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But even if your engraver fucks up, there is no restriction on engraving the same receiver again. May look like shit, but will still be legal.

Form 1 for an existing receiver doesn't get an additional serial number. You use the serial number that was on the lower before.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What?  You mean to say a guy behind the counter of a LGS was full of derp and didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground?  You found the only one.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

....like what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The dude basically told me that if I ran into LEO and he thought I had the intent to make an SBR I was going to prison. I like

....like what?

Looks like the man snatched him up mid post.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Thank op for clarifying, I thought the man snatched him up mid-post
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I was typing the OP up while at dinner with my kids. What I meant to say was I like that store and won't throw them under the bus publicly but it was disappointing to hear. One other thing that was a topic of conversation at the store was on the engraving. The gun counter guy kept telling me that I should file my form 1 for SBRing the rifle BEFORE I engraved the lower. I thought I needed the lower engraved before I filed. Since this is my first SBR I wasn't really sure what the answer is, but I certainky don't trust what that guy was telling me.
View Quote

If you won't mention the name of the place this supposedly happened, I doubt things happened the ways you wrote.

If fact, I suspect you made the whole thing up.  In other words...

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Your average "gun guy" knows just enough information to give terrible advise. This is how urban legend law myths are created. If someone who wasn't as informed as the OP was told this load of BS, they would believe it and likely spread it to their friends, and so on, and so on. It's like the old "shoot em outside but be sure to drag em inside before the police get there" advise.    Works every time!
View Quote

Late 80's a professor at USF, who was allegedly a lawyer, use to advise a variant of this. It included placing a steak knife in there hand to "prove" they had a weapon. "Put one in both hands, they may be left-handed!"

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:10:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:47:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who said anything about serial numbers? We're talking about name/trust name and city/state of where the NFA firearm is made.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:57:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If you won't mention the name of the place this supposedly happened, I doubt things happened the ways you wrote.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/159/414/Cool-Starry-Bra.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/159/414/Cool-Starry-Bra.jpg

LOL I dont want to know how you found that one
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 1:42:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd move.  Only reason for "registering" is to make confiscation easier.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:12:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Dude at the store is a sissy.  Tell him to STFU or give him a dollar to go get a clue.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:04:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I suppose I am lucky, my local store is Primary Arms.  The problem is they typically end up with my paycheck.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top