Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/14/2015 12:29:39 PM EDT
So , I couldn't find much in the way of good charts. [AR platform,5.56 NATO ammo,62 gr,SS109 etc]

From what I have gathered , it seems that there is a velocity drop of about 20% in feet per second ,when going from a 16 inch barrel to a 7 inch.

Also , it looks like about a 10% drop when going from a 10 inch to a 7 inch barrel.

Sound about right to you guys?

Ive never had an SBR under 10 inches, but picked up a nice Sig516 piston upper in 7 inches yesterday. I figured this is the best place to ask about pistol length barrels on ARs.

Link Posted: 3/14/2015 12:39:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Something like this?

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=630970
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats what I was looking for ,in a rough idea.

Thanks bro.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Why is there a dip at 21"? Is that because of a rifle length gas system vs mid vs pistol? Stupid question probably.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmn, I'm not sure either, but here is where that graph came from, it's the first link in thread posted under the graph http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2010armament/WednesdayCumberlandPhilipDater.pdf
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#5]
12" slower than 11"?
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd say it's about powder burn. If you could use a faster burning powder, you could probably recoupe some of that loss. But with standard 5.56, I chose 10.5".

BCM decided not to even make any barrels shorter than... 11"? Just because of reliability issues in that last inch down to 10.5", even though they know there would be a huge market for their 10.5" barrels/uppers.

But this is for DI AR's, not piston guns. As far as velocity goes and % drops.... if you really care to know, chrono your gun with the ammo you usually use, then calc it out. You'll get a accurate-enough readout on ft/lb force and trajectory.

The 10.5" should still have as much energy/force at 300yd as .44 mag at the muzzle. The bullets aren't bouncing off your target just because it's a pistol, which some in the community still don't realize.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd say it's about powder burn. If you could use a faster burning powder, you could probably recoupe some of that loss. But with standard 5.56, I chose 10.5".

BCM decided not to even make any barrels shorter than... 11"? Just because of reliability issues in that last inch down to 10.5", even though they know there would be a huge market for their 10.5" barrels/uppers.

But this is for DI AR's, not piston guns. As far as velocity goes and % drops.... if you really care to know, chrono your gun with the ammo you usually use, then calc it out. You'll get a accurate-enough readout on ft/lb force and trajectory.

The 10.5" should still have as much energy/force at 300yd as .44 mag at the muzzle. The bullets aren't bouncing off your target just because it's a pistol, which some in the community still don't realize.
View Quote

My tests with different commercial rounds show right around 300 fps average loss between 16" and 10.5".

- OS
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My tests with different commercial rounds show right around 300 fps average loss between 16" and 10.5".

- OS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Matches up with the accepted standard that there's usually 50fps change per inch of barrel changed. Lol
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Probably what you're looking for - I think this is with 62gr NATO spec:

Exit pressure vs barrel length (now you know why all pistols are so violently overgassed):

Muzzle velocity vs barrel length:
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:25:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Matches up with the accepted standard that there's usually 50fps change per inch of barrel changed. Lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Except that it can't possible be linear, or you could chop a 20" barrel down to just the chamber and still be at about 2,200 fps.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

While I don't disagree with your point, I'm not sure what numbers you are talking about. 44 mag 240gr 1500fps from a 7.5" barrel = 1200 ft/#. And they also get much better from there with longer barrels. A 65gr 5.56 needs to be going ~2900 fps for that to happen at the muzzle much less 300 yards.

Nothing against 5.56 pistols, and maybe the loads I'm looking at are not considered by all to be representative. But you have to also give .44 more credit than that as if you put it through a carbine it gets closer to 2000 fps. 1500fps from a 10" barrel is easily obtained with commercial ammo.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Except that it can't possible be linear, or you could chop a 20" barrel down to just the chamber and still be at about 2,200 fps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Exactly so.

Folks often say "mass doubles energy, velocity quadruples it". Which is only true in the first case if velocity stays same, and in the second case if mass stays same. Otherwise, it is of course also a sliding scale.

- OS
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#13]
some of my chronograph numbers of some of my go to loads for my 18" SPR, you can see losses when shot through my BA 8". I have been spending a month or two developing loads just for pistol/sbr use,  been learning a ton

10 feet off muzzle

Barnes 53gr TSX-H335
18" 3079 fps.........1115 ft/lbs
8"   2283 fps.........613 ft/lbs

HNDY 55gr H355
18" 3135 fps.........1200 ft/lbs
8" 2452 fps..........734 ft/lbs

HNDY 55gr IMR 3031
18" 2648 fps.......856 ft/lbs
8" 1986 fps........481 ft/lbs

Nosler 69gr CC HPBT AR Comp
18" 2876 fps.......1276 ft/lbs
8" 2332 fps........833 ft/lbs

Nosler 77gr CC HPBT AR Comp
18" 2668 fps.......1216 ft/lbs
8" 2109 fps.......760 ft/lbs
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

While I don't disagree with your point, I'm not sure what numbers you are talking about. 44 mag 240gr 1500fps from a 7.5" barrel = 1200 ft/#. And they also get much better from there with longer barrels. A 65gr 5.56 needs to be going ~2900 fps for that to happen at the muzzle much less 300 yards.

Nothing against 5.56 pistols, and maybe the loads I'm looking at are not considered by all to be representative. But you have to also give .44 more credit than that as if you put it through a carbine it gets closer to 2000 fps. 1500fps from a 10" barrel is easily obtained with commercial ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The configuration I used were whatever test barrels Hornady was using to test their ammo. I think 7.5" is a bit long for a revolver. Most people don't go past 6", with many sticking to 4" for a modern revolver. I think using a 7.5" or even 10' barrel to compare would just be to bolster the numbers a bit?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

As I said, there's some powder burn factor, especially with your example...

I think the 50fps thing was for 10 to 16", something like that. Maybe even 10 to 20". Not sure on that though. It helps address the constant questions on how much speed is lost going from X to X. Usually 16" down to 14.5". Just a constant question, or used to be.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:31:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The configuration I used were whatever test barrels Hornady was using to test their ammo. I think 7.5" is a bit long for a revolver. Most people don't go past 6", with many sticking to 4" for a modern revolver. I think using a 7.5" or even 10' barrel to compare would just be to bolster the numbers a bit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A bit but it is still well less than half the energy since you are comparing at 300 yards to the muzzle.

.44 mag from a 4" barrel (Fed. Hydra Shock)
1250 fps 240 gr from a 4" = 833 ft/lb
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/44mag.html

vs. 10.5" 223 at 300 yards as you specified -

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?105639-Getting-the-most-out-of-your-5-56-SBR-rifle-with-pricey-223-quot-hunting-ammo-quot

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
some of my chronograph numbers of some of my go to loads for my 18" SPR, you can see losses when shot through my BA 8". I have been spending a month or two developing loads just for pistol/sbr use,  been learning a ton

10 feet off muzzle

Barnes 53gr TSX-H335
18" 3079 fps.........1115 ft/lbs
8"   2283 fps.........613 ft/lbs

HNDY 55gr H355
18" 3135 fps.........1200 ft/lbs
8" 2452 fps..........734 ft/lbs

HNDY 55gr IMR 3031
18" 2648 fps.......856 ft/lbs
8" 1986 fps........481 ft/lbs

Nosler 69gr CC HPBT AR Comp
18" 2876 fps.......1276 ft/lbs
8" 2332 fps........833 ft/lbs

Nosler 77gr CC HPBT AR Comp
18" 2668 fps.......1216 ft/lbs
8" 2109 fps.......760 ft/lbs
View Quote

Nice to see some data with bullet weight comparisons. Thanks for posting this.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think the 50fps thing was for 10 to 16", something like that. Maybe even 10 to 20". Not sure on that though. It helps address the constant questions on how much speed is lost going from X to X. Usually 16" down to 14.5". Just a constant question, or used to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree there, it's nit-picking for the common rifle lengths. But when people want a super-short pistol or SBR for serious use, the terrible ballistics of sub 10" barrels should probably point them to .300 or 6.8. A lot of guys are overestimating velocities from 7.5" guns.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like you still get decent penetration (18") at 83 yards though.
http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/ar-15-pistol-ballistic-gel-testing
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I agree there, it's nit-picking for the common rifle lengths. But when people want a super-short pistol or SBR for serious use, the terrible ballistics of sub 10" barrels should probably point them to .300 or 6.8. A lot of guys are overestimating velocities from 7.5" guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

depending on projectile, you can get good tings to happen in a 556 SBR with in reasonable range , and they usually beat rifles and carbines in penetration

53 gr Barnes 2283fps @ muzzle , 100 yards shot into water jugs using of a 8" 1:7 Ballistic Advantage 556 chamber.....wouldn't want to pull it out of my belly

full weight retention, it weighed that when I loaded it

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#21]
I know it's an older thread, lots better data but for a "real world" tidbit that may help:

I chronied some Wolf Gold the other day:

For about 7-8 shot strings.
10.5" pistol  2550-2640
16" Dissipator(mid-length)  2996-3042
16" M4.   2980-2984
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks consistent with the graph.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

depending on projectile, you can get good tings to happen in a 556 SBR with in reasonable range , and they usually beat rifles and carbines in penetration

53 gr Barnes 2283fps @ muzzle , 100 yards shot into water jugs using of a 8" 1:7 Ballistic Advantage 556 chamber.....wouldn't want to pull it out of my belly

<a href="http://s45.photobucket.com/user/oli700/media/2a/image.jpg5_zpsgbshf9fa.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/oli700/2a/image.jpg5_zpsgbshf9fa.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s45.photobucket.com/user/oli700/media/2a/image.jpg2_zpslmevtl8f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/oli700/2a/image.jpg2_zpslmevtl8f.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s45.photobucket.com/user/oli700/media/2a/image.jpg5_zpsgbshf9fa.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/oli700/2a/image.jpg5_zpsgbshf9fa.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s45.photobucket.com/user/oli700/media/2a/image.jpg2_zpslmevtl8f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/oli700/2a/image.jpg2_zpslmevtl8f.jpg</a>

Were you able to pull any of the 69 grain out of the water jug as well and the SBr thanks for posting your data it is very good
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:31:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Were you able to pull any of the 69 grain out of the water jug as well and the SBr thanks for posting your data it is very good
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did but didn't record it

I did keep and record the 77gr HPBT if that helps

2109 fps 10 feet from the muzzle, shot 50 yards to impact

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:25:06 AM EDT
[#25]
There's a Youtube guy named PoBoy Special that has quite a few tests of various ammo through a 7.5" 5.56 pistol, to include velocities and ballistic gel results.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why is there a dip at 21"? Is that because of a rifle length gas system vs mid vs pistol? Stupid question probably.
View Quote

Probably just a glitch in the data - ammo inconsistency or a bad measurement - it happens.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s45.photobucket.com/user/oli700/media/2a/image.jpg3_zps4clzfgr5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/oli700/2a/image.jpg3_zps4clzfgr5.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s45.photobucket.com/user/oli700/media/2a/image.jpg4_zpspoprt2gv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/oli700/2a/image.jpg4_zpspoprt2gv.jpg</a>

View Quote

very interesting stuff seems like most ballistics stuff you see is from a 16 inch barrel.  I will start looking around more for 10.5 stuff and likely doing some testing of my own.  I have like seeing milk jug stuff and like knowing it doesn't take expensive gel to get an idea.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

very interesting stuff seems like most ballistics stuff you see is from a 16 inch barrel.  I will start looking around more for 10.5 stuff and likely doing some testing of my own.  I have like seeing milk jug stuff and like knowing it doesn't take expensive gel to get an idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s45.photobucket.com/user/oli700/media/2a/image.jpg3_zps4clzfgr5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/oli700/2a/image.jpg3_zps4clzfgr5.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s45.photobucket.com/user/oli700/media/2a/image.jpg4_zpspoprt2gv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/oli700/2a/image.jpg4_zpspoprt2gv.jpg</a>

right on , its does give you an idea .....after you do it a bunch you can compare, other than that don't know how it really translates to real life. I tend to try to figure out stuff for myself and use these places for info but once I kinda figured out a lot of people think 556 in SBR/pistol are "toys".......I had to prove to myself the truth, truth is they are not at all toys and I take mine very serious in 200 yards. I sight it in for 50 , it hits at 200 just like a full size AR.....after testing loads I know it is plenty accurate and lethal at 200 yards.
Realistically its all I expect out of it and all it was built for
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

right on , its does give you an idea .....after you do it a bunch you can compare, other than that don't know how it really translates to real life. I tend to try to figure out stuff for myself and use these places for info but once I kinda figured out a lot of people think 556 in SBR/pistol are "toys".......I had to prove to myself the truth, truth is they are not at all toys and I take mine very serious in 200 yards. I sight it in for 50 , it hits at 200 just like a full size AR.....after testing loads I know it is plenty accurate and lethal at 200 yards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I put hits on 66% steel plate at 500 yards with my 10.5 I am mostly worried about what the round is going to do when it hits.  The 53 grain TSX rounds are one I want to get and start loading for my 10.5 and I like what they do in the target through a 16 inch barrel but wanted more on what they do out of a 10.5 with so much lost velocity.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I put hits on 66% steel plate at 500 yards with my 10.5 I am mostly worried about what the round is going to do when it hits.  The 53 grain TSX rounds are one I want to get and start loading for my 10.5 and I like what they do in the target through a 16 inch barrel but wanted more on what they do out of a 10.5 with so much lost velocity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

25.5 gr H335, 1/10 grain over Barnes data. The cases show no preasure signs so I think I can work up a little from here and get a little more expansion out of the bullet

53 grain Barnes TSX -25.5gr H335- CCI 450- 2.190" OAL....2283fps from an 8" Ballistic Advantage barrel

same load from my 18" spr......Minute of Pain

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top