Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2015 12:36:55 PM EDT
Most people are in agreement that two of the most important parts for accuracy are the barrel and trigger of a firearm. As I am looking for a barrel, I wonder often what the differences mean for a 100 yard pistol or SBR.

What would one expect accuracy wise for a $300 barrel vs an $80 or $150 barrel?  

And what advantages do different finishes have over the other?  

Stainless?
parkerized?
Chrome moly?
Black nitrade?

I have seen many recommended, but I still can't sort through it all. I know the barrel is important, but I also know I am building a pistol, and I am sure there is a limit where the cost is too high and also know that there is a point where you are buying junk. In the threads where people are recommending barrels, they say they are accurate, or work well, but to what standard are we talking?  

I hope this isn't too confusing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont know about cost, but my cmmg wasp melonite 8.5" will do sub moa groups with the 110 grain barnes blackout bullets. I have one of the older ones that were reported to have the wrong twist rate printed on them, and even non-concentric threads. I use mine with a suppressor with no issue, and frankly do not see the need to spend more money on a barrel. This one seems to be more accurate than the stainless one from midway that I have.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top