Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/24/2015 9:35:44 PM EDT
I know the noveske kx3 and kx5 do. Are there any that maybe weigh a bit less?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:36:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Barking spider from Spikes
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#2]
That creates back pressure, but doesn't weigh less. Especially if you leave the front flash suppressor prongs on.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess by "creates back pressure," you're talking about linear compensators?

Kaw Valley makes one that weighs less than half of the Noveske KX3.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I would assume most krink style brakes create a decent amount of backpressure,  and the kak slimline flashcan is similar to the kx5, and pretty light.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess by "creates back pressure," you're talking about linear compensators?

Kaw Valley makes one that weighs less than half of the Noveske KX3.
View Quote

+1 on the Kaw Valley one.  Joe Bobs Outfitters had the best price when I bought mine.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#6]
They don't increase back pressure the way a Krink device (essentially a one-baffle suppressor) does.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:50:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They don't increase back pressure the way a Krink device (essentially a one-baffle suppressor) does.
View Quote

Tada. Neither the kaw valley or the kak flash can create back pressure.. and they are not marketed as such.
He wants a kx5, kx3, or pws cqb. Not cheap, and not light.
May I ask why you are wanting to add back pressure to your system?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:24:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Levang liniear comp
Troy Claymore

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:54:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Levang liniear comp
Troy Claymore]
View Quote

Another reading comprehension genius. Neither of those devices will change back pressure meaningfully.

Again, if you want to increase back pressure / dwell time for better cycling, you have to use some kind of krink design with a baffle like the KX3, Barking Spider, etc.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Wanting to shore up some cycling issues with a 7.5" barrel and heard this could help. I was hoping for something a bit lighter. Maybe it doesn't exist?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#11]
How about a longer barrel?  When you attach a muzzle device, you are essentially making the barrel longer.  Why not start there?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:59:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Lightening the reciprocating mass via lightweight BCG, Buffer and Adlustable Gas Block.  I'm get ready to test my theory with subsonic 223 cycling with a 8.5" barrel with and without a suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lightening the reciprocating mass via lightweight BCG, Buffer and Adlustable Gas Block.  I'm get ready to test my theory with subsonic 223 cycling with a 8.5" barrel with and without a suppressor.
View Quote

That's a stupid idea when using pistol-length gas and 5.56. I had a case rip in half using a lighter-than-normal BCG/buffer combination in an AR pistol, because it was unlocking when there was still considerable pressure in the chamber.

I switched to a full-auto BCG and H3 buffer, readjusted the gas, and the problem went away.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Another reading comprehension genius. Neither of those devices will change back pressure meaningfully.

Again, if you want to increase back pressure / dwell time for better cycling, you have to use some kind of krink design with a baffle like the KX3, Barking Spider, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Levang liniear comp
Troy Claymore]

hey asshole, unless I missed something here, I dont think anyone asked for smartass remarks...

I'm running a 7.5" barrel with a KAK flashcan, FA BCG, regular buffer and have not had any cycling issues yet.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:25:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Do you even reading comprehension, bro?

Some guns require a muzzle device that increases back pressure/dwell time to cycle reliably. If yours doesn't, that's great. But NONE of the muzzle devices you mentioned do what the OP asked for.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:26:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

+1 on the Kaw Valley one.  Joe Bobs Outfitters had the best price when I bought mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's correct. Linear comps may boost backpressure a smidgen, but not to the same degree that a KX3/KX5 will. Due to that, the linear comp will cause less overgassing issues which may result from running a KX3/KX5 on 16" or longer barrels.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Since we're in the pistol forum, I'll assume he's talking very short barrel.  In that regard, the Levang, Claymore and Kies Blast Master will increase dwell time enough to make them very useful on a pistol.  The Levang is the best bang for the buck for increased pistol dwell time.  It works well to solve some extraction issues (along with heavier buffers/carriers and adding a #006 viton o-ring to the extractor).

The Levang is easily installed with an inexpensive adjustable pin wrench.  Big thumps up for the Levang (cause it's cheap and doesn't weigh much).
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

How about a longer barrel? When you attach a muzzle device, you are essentially making the barrel longer. Why not start there?
View Quote

This is the correct answer. Once you attach a back pressure device you have made your weapon longer and haven't gained the velocity an extra inch of barrel would give you.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is the correct answer. Once you attach a back pressure device you have made your weapon longer and haven't gained the velocity an extra inch of barrel would give you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about a longer barrel? When you attach a muzzle device, you are essentially making the barrel longer. Why not start there?

Except you're going to have some muzzle device anyway not a bare muzzle.  You might has well have one that directs sound and adds dwell time (and it does it better than extra barrel because it momentarily traps a volume of air greater that the diameter of the bore slowing it's exit creating pressure dwell time).  The small baffle on a Levang or Kies isn't as effective as the baffle on a Krink or KX3 but it does work.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Except you're going to have some muzzle device anyway not a bare muzzle. You might has well have one that directs sound and adds dwell time (and it does it better than extra barrel because it momentarily traps a volume of air greater that the diameter of the bore slowing it's exit creating pressure dwell time).

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Except you're going to have some muzzle device anyway not a bare muzzle. You might has well have one that directs sound and adds dwell time (and it does it better than extra barrel because it momentarily traps a volume of air greater that the diameter of the bore slowing it's exit creating pressure dwell time).

Then add a suppressor.  All of my SBR's work fine without extra long muzzle devices.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Then add a suppressor.  All of my SBR's work fine without extra long muzzle devices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were talking pistol length gas tubes not carbine.  There are no suppressors rated for under 10.3" barrels.  But there is merit to go with a 10.3" barrel over something less.  It still helps to have a linear compensator if you happen to touch one off with out hearing protection.  The moderators put on XM177s were designed to bring the decibel level closer to a rifle pressures.  They could have went with longer barrels but they didn't.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Were talking pistol length gas tubes not carbine. There are no suppressors rated for under 10.3" barrels. But there is merit to go with a 10.3" barrel over something less. It still helps to have a linear compensator if you happen to touch one off with out hearing protection. The moderators put on XM177s were designed to bring the decibel level closer to a rifle pressures. They could have went with longer barrels but they didn't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIP

Then add a suppressor. All of my SBR's work fine without extra long muzzle devices.

Were talking pistol length gas tubes not carbine. There are no suppressors rated for under 10.3" barrels. But there is merit to go with a 10.3" barrel over something less. It still helps to have a linear compensator if you happen to touch one off with out hearing protection. The moderators put on XM177s were designed to bring the decibel level closer to a rifle pressures. They could have went with longer barrels but they didn't.

I have two pistol gas uppers, a 10" carbine gas and 12.5" midlength gas.  None of them need a linear compensator.  None of them are hearing safe even with a suppressor.  I run my 10" with a suppressor all the time, when it wears out, it wears out.

5.56 is a poor performer from a 7.5" barrel anyways.  That short and you will get better performance from another caliber.  In the case of the XM177 IMO they would have been better served with a true suppressor design, as it is the original moderators are still regulated.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Right, even your suppressed 10" isn't hearing safe.  But it's doing less damage obviously.  

I have permanent hearing damage from a Glock 17 touched off too close to my left ear about 20 years ago.   Only takes one shot to keep those ears ringing.  Something to keep in mind.  Quieter is always better.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:12:26 PM EDT
[#24]
This ( Linky  )

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This ( Linky  )  
View Quote

That weighs a bit more than a KX3.  They should call it the Heavy Pig.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 2:16:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Bulgarian Krink "beer-can" style brake is your best bet.

This is for a .30 cal barrel, but they have one for a .223 as well.:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7C9AOQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Bulgarian Krink "beer-can" style brake is your best bet.

This is for a .30 cal barrel, but they have one for a .223 as well.:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7C9AOQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View Quote

That's heavier than a KX3, too.  The poster is looking for light.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Maybe something like this? It's titanium, I've been waiting for them to come back into stock for 3 months though.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Maybe something like this? It's titanium, I've been waiting for them to come back into stock for 3 months though.
View Quote

That's the ticket.  V7 makes interesting stuff.  Like they've mastered titanium where others haven't.  

Well, there goes another $130.  HA!  Thanks.

Now, if Faxon will just make an 11" pencil barrel.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's the ticket.  V7 makes interesting stuff.  Like they've mastered titanium where others haven't.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See our omnibus thread. Group buy incoming.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, I'm not the only one that wants that short pencil barrel.  Thanks for the heads up, I've never visited that forum.  
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top