Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/31/2015 5:57:38 PM EDT
I need a good excuse to do a pistol build. I already have 2 rifles but I want a pistol now. What's a good excuse to purpose a idea to the boss.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#1]
When buying guns or gun parts while not single, I just never asked for permission. If it came to a "its me or the guns situation,"every single one of my ex's knew i'd probably pick the guns. But I guess you could say you're buying it for her, then just pretend its hers and let her shoot it once in a while. Either that or pretend you built it from leftover parts.

What mama doesnt know wont hurt her.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#2]
you don't need an excuse. just tell her you  are building it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

thats what i do. and she says ok.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
When buying guns or gun parts while not single, I just never asked for permission. If it came to a "its me or the guns situation,"every single one of my ex's knew i'd probably pick the guns. But I guess you could say you're buying it for her, then just pretend its hers and let her shoot it once in a while. Either that or pretend you built it from leftover parts.

What mama doesnt know wont hurt her.
View Quote

LOL!...I almost hate to admit that this scenario is like mine when buying firearms...and motorcycle stuff...but in my case I'm married to the same woman for over 40 years.  Am I complaining?...heck no!

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:52:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Just do it.  Don't ask permission.  Unless you're raiding the diaper fund, you'll be fine.  At least you're not pissing it away on hookers and blow.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:46:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Buy her something nice, take her to dinner and a movie or tell her to get something for herself....then build it.

When the wife raises a brow on all the packages showing up at the door, I tell her other people are doing other things and to be glad I'm not...  I also tell her the packages are for her and not to ask too many questions cause it will spoil the surprise
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:07:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I need a good excuse to do a pistol build. I already have 2 rifles but I want a pistol now. What's a good excuse to purpose a idea to the boss.
View Quote
Do you happen to have a concealed carry permit? That was the main reason for my pistol build.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:40:08 AM EDT
[#9]
You want a brand new harley ultra classic, they are only what $24k? But you would make the sacrifice to only build a pistol instead.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#10]
You just buy put it together and don't tell her/him about it. If it is seen and asked about you simply say oh that I've had it for a while now.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just do it.  Don't ask permission.  Unless you're raiding the diaper fund, you'll be fine.  At least you're not pissing it away on hookers and blow.
View Quote

I guess this is the way my wife looks at it. I'm home and not running around, not that I would. She's stood with me through multiple deployments.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:39:12 PM EDT
[#12]
So I recently changed my mind- drastically- on the idea of an AR pistol.  Whereas I was entirely opposed to the idea before, I have since switched my thinking after firing my neighbor's pistol at the range.  Its to the point I am on the verge of dropping about $1,600ish on the setup of my choice, as my thinking is:

- Most civilian needs for a firearm are defensive in nature
- Defensive engagements occur over generally short ranges, which is why handguns are usually used by civilians vs. rifles which are better used to go proactively into dangerous situations.  
- As such having an AR optimized for short-range engagements provides significantly more capability than the average handgun
- Most of our AR barrels tend to be in the 16" range (some still use 20") which provides a lot of capability out to 300m and beyond (5-800m depending on configuration and ammo)
- It is highly unlikely in most foreseeable situations that anyone would have a legally justifiable use for a defensive use at those ranges, even in a catastrophic emergency situation
- It is still perfectly legal and reasonable to use ARs at long ranges for sporting, hunting, and - in less likely scenarios - defensive situations

As such:

- Having an AR configured as a pistol is a reasonable and preferable choice for a defensive firearm
- Retaining or obtaining ARs configured for longer ranges is reasonable given their suitability for all manner of hunting, target shooting, and self defense.

In summary:

Get Both!  Don't sell your rifles but, if you can swing the cash, an AR pistol is a great choice and well suited for civilian purposes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#13]
That thing? I've HAD that for a while.

Main reason - fun.
Others - compact, CCL carry in your car, Cool factor at the range, libs hate them even more than EBRs
The list is endless.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:28:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What's a good excuse to purpose a idea to the boss.
View Quote

"It followed me home!"
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#15]
So I don't have a wife, but a girlfriend. She said I could build whatever I wanted as long as I build her a black rifle...........this one is a keeper.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup.

I've always taken the stance that I will never finance a build. If I want to do it, I have the cash. Once I have the cash...I don't ask for permission...
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I told the wife I had store bought rifles and a pistol would be different than what I had plus allow me to learn the craft of building.  She was cool with it as long as I was dipping in to the household money to pay bills.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

There isn't any.  Buy one complete - they're way cheaper than anything you can build.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

There isn't any.  Buy one complete - they're way cheaper than anything you can build.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ORLY?  I might agree if you want just a cheap DI setup, but I think my ambidextrous piston build was less money than an equivalent factory-built - if I could have even found one setup the exact way I wanted it.  So YMMV there.

Richard
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#20]
So that you have most of the parts to build an SBR.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 8:03:10 PM EDT
[#21]

wife told me tonight that I need to buy another gun.

(thinking to myself....that's cool, already did.)

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

I just built 2 DI carbines for under $400 each. Try finding ANY functional AR assembled for $400, anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:44:59 PM EDT
[#23]
"It's for you, Honey."
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:22:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I figured out if I come home with a receiver set or a bunch of parts and a box with an MK or Tory Burch or Burberry logo,  I hear zero peeps from the old lady about anything.  Not a GD thing
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:06:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

LOL

I just built 2 DI carbines for under $400 each. Try finding ANY functional AR assembled for $400, anywhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

I'm calling BS on that - no f'n way.  Cheapest complete upper on the market is $350, and building costs at least as much and probably more.  ANY complete lower is $180 easy.  Show me your parts list w/ pricing.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:43:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm calling BS on that - no f'n way.  Cheapest complete upper on the market is $350, and building costs at least as much and probably more.  ANY complete lower is $180 easy.  Show me your parts list w/ pricing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not the guy claiming $400 carbine, *BUT* I personally have seen $39 stripped lowers and $29 LPKs, so I think it could be done...  Not my thing, but seems within the realm of possibility....not something one could do on any given day, but with patience I believe it.

Richard
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:44:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Double post, ignore/delete please.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

My wife knows I have BRD.  So I don't ask for permission when making these kinds of purchases.  I also never tell her how much I spend on them either.

My reasons for building an AR pistol:

Compact firearm with more power/range than a pistol cartridge(primarily going to be shooting 300 BO subsonics, with the occasional supersonics).
Longer sight radius with irons
Easier to line up optics with cheekweld
I can easily conceal the firearm in a discrete carrying case
I can keep the firearm loaded in a vehicle (In PA, only pistols/handguns can be loaded in a vehicle)
It is like a watered down junior version of an SBR without the paperwork and restrictions. I already have an SBR, so it bridges the gap between my Title I and Title II guns.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top