Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2015 8:34:42 PM EDT
Hello all

I am new here and new to the ar platform as far as building is concerned. I own one rifle and one pistol but this is my first custom build. So here is what I got
AAC 9" 1:7 twist 300 blackout upper with a KA hand guard
Dpms lower
And a bunch of other stuff. Mostly magpul extras on it.
My question is how long should the buffer tube be. I am trying to make it short but right now it sits at 25" long. Can I use a shorter buffer tube?  I really don't know the science behind tube length. I do plan on getting a suppressor for it eventually as it already has the AAC qd flash hider. Thanks in advance for your help
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My question is how long should the buffer tube be. I am trying to make it short but right now it sits at 25" long. ...
View Quote

I assume you mean that is OAL of the firearm and not buffer tube length!

At any rate, except for some bizarre ultra shorty configs that never really worked reliably,   the shortest "pistol buffer tube" is about the same as a carbine tube, ~ 7.25" overall length, before it's threaded into receiver.

- OS
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#2]
So how are some ar pistols very short???
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a few proprietary PDW bolt/buffer/extension tube set ups out there.

A standard carbine or pistol tube offers the most tuning options.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:04:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Gun Smoke Enterprises pistol buffer. Theirs is touted as "the shortest" at 4". For $295 it only saves you 3".
http://gunsmokeenterprises.net/product.sc;jsessionid=36589D644CC88DE475896A9812AD199A.m1plqscsfapp05?productId=5&categoryId=1
Also there are/is at least one company that does not require a buffer tube (Olympic Arms). Recoil spring is on top, I think.
http://www.olyarms.com/shop/pistols/ar-15-pistols/oa-93.html
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:51:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So how are some ar pistols very short???
View Quote

Certain piston designs don't need receiver extension at all, not even sure it's quite fair to call them "ARs", though.

- OS
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top