Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/26/2015 3:28:13 PM EDT
When did AR pistols become a DIY build?  Industry factory option?  As early as the 70s? 80s?  Surely when they were first designed and sold to the civilian market the pistol option did not exist right?  But it's also not a recent invention either is it?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Earliest I remember seeing them around was the Rocky Mountain Arms Patriot around 1993 or so. I'm sure other versions existed before then.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh man been looking at them for years, finally built one for myself about 15 9 years ago and funny were the looks you would get at a range back then.

eta: the more correct date as I can't remember shit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd say early 90's with the first AR type I'd seen was from Olympic Arms.  That was 1992.  I'm sure there were early versions but as for production it probably was Olympic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Arms_OA-93

The Arm Pistol was 1977.  So I would suppose Bushmaster had to be making AR pistols pretty early since that was in their thinking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushmaster_Arm_Pistol

Just for fun.  Look at that stellar manufacturer guide from 1998!

http://web.archive.org/web/19980112101219/http://www.ar15.com/

Rocky Mountain is the first "true" AR Pistol that I can remember and that was 1992 as well.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Rocky_Mountain_Arms_Patriot

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Did the very first pistols just use a regular rifle/carbine receiver extension or did they actually make pistol tubes back then?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did the very first pistols just use a regular rifle/carbine receiver extension or did they actually make pistol tubes back then?
View Quote

The first with a receiver extension that I saw in person for sale was the Rocky Mountain and it did not use a carbine or rifle extension.  It was their own tube.  I remember looking at it and thinking that looks like crap, who would want one of those.  The Olympic was damn sexy but I always thought Olympic sucked so never had an interest in one except for the skeletonized version.  Was way out of my price range back then.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

First one I ever saw in a magazine article (in the 80's) used a standard carbine stock pinned in the collapsed position.

ATF's opinion has changed a bit since then.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

First one I ever saw in a magazine article (in the 80's) used a standard carbine stock pinned in the collapsed position.

ATF's option has changed a bit since then.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you saying they called something with a pinned stock a pistol?  
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently yes, pinned closed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, bracegate before the internet was big.  I'd totally take a pinned collapsed CTR pistol.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#12]
The oly pistol was just becoming known when the 94' AWB outlawed them for 10 years. Even though they were ugly and unreliable they commanded stupid prices during the ban. Since the ban fell they have become more popular.  I think after the ban was when DIY really took off.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I always assumed the idea started with a M231 and became reality when stripped lowers started being offered.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
after the ban was when DIY really took off.
View Quote

This is the answer to when.  It just wasn't something that was thought of much before the AW ban, during the ban the weight requirement made them somewhat impractical.  After the ban ended it took off, with the internet it was widely discussed and on more people's minds, and the immediate after-ban world a lot of people were doing things "because I can".  Many expected some kind of ban to be reinstated the next year so people were hedging.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I remember during the ban years around 2000 / 2001 those cheap 7" A2 and A3 pistol kits with the aluminum free float handguards being at every gun show... and always wondering to myself "where in the blue fuck are all the preban pistol lowers?"

I also think jwb211 is on to something with the port firing weapon, I completely forgot that thing existed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Oh man been looking at them for years, finally built one for myself about 15 years ago and funny were the looks you would get at a range back then.
View Quote
Well 15 years ago was right smack in the middle of the AWB. You sure about that timeline?

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#17]
AWB helped, but changing the classification of lowers helped, too. When was that? 05' or so? Instead of buying AR pistol lower, any bare virgin lower was okay.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:21:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Earliest I remember seeing them around was the Rocky Mountain Arms Patriot around 1993 or so. I'm sure other versions existed before then.
View Quote

I saw one of these at a gun show in Denver in 1995 for $4000!
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:25:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I paid no attention until the RRA pistols. That legitimized them for me...then the Franklin Armory XO-26 made me has to have one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:25:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
AWB helped, but changing the classification of lowers helped, too. When was that? 05' or so? Instead of buying AR pistol lower, any bare virgin lower was okay.
View Quote

It's always been that way.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:00:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

4473 didn't change to add "other firearm" until 11/08, if that's what you mean, but that didn't really change the legal status of them, just came more in line with the "under 21 only rifle/shotgun" federal law.

- OS
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:30:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well 15 years ago was right smack in the middle of the AWB. You sure about that timeline?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh man been looking at them for years, finally built one for myself about 15 years ago and funny were the looks you would get at a range back then.

Oh heck your right as usually!   I check my reciepts, which makes it late in 2005, damn it feels like 15 years...F@<king getting old sucks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Don't forget about the Carbon 97 pistols from the 90's. I think Bushmaster bought them out. AR pistols have always been illegal in my commie state until the Gun Grab of 2013. For some reason Colt 6920's are now scary, but AR pistols are not
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#24]
I prefer AR15 Pistols and SBRs now because they are more evil looking to me personally.
More evil the better!

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Don't forget about the Carbon 97 pistols from the 90's. I think Bushmaster bought them out. AR pistols have always been illegal in my commie state until the Gun Grab of 2013. For some reason Colt 6920's are now scary, but AR pistols are not
View Quote

Professional Ordnance started in Ontario, CA in 1996 and moved to Arizona in 1998.  Pistols really didn't start get hopping until the aero space machinists with nothing to do started to machine stripped lowers.  Sun Devil was one of the early ones to start producing in production numbers in the Southwest.  And one of the first I remember to produce pistol marked stripped lowers for sale.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I prefer AR15 Pistols and SBRs now because they are more evil looking to me personally.
More evil the better!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/j0ny4ng/DSC_0480.jpg
View Quote

I like them because they are fun to shoot and easy to store and transport.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I paid no attention until the RRA pistols. That legitimized them for me...then the Franklin Armory XO-26 made me has to have one.
View Quote

This. My 7" pistol is a RRA and so far, it has been flawless in the operational dept.

I'll show my age a bit, but AR pistols have always intrigued me. Sadly, I wasn't old enough t buy a pistol in Illinois until 1998...so right smack dab in the middle of the Clinton ban crap.

I shelved the thought and bought my first AR in 2010. After that, I really started paying attention to pistols and after I was sure companies were making turn-key short barrel units, I dove in.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:22:01 PM EDT
[#28]
My dad told me that while he was Vietnam they'd give M16s to the South Vietnamese and they'd cut them down to pistols and would actually holster them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Bump!

I'm surprised no one mentioned this monstrosity:

During the ban one the arbitrary defining properties of an "assault pistol" was a weight over 50oz and took a magazine outside of the handgrip.

Bless their hearts, Olympic Arms was able to come up with this OA-98 thanks to all the lightening cuts. I don't think they sold well and it was more of an F-U to the AWB.

This is why no one really dove into pistols until the sunset of the AWB in 04.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:42:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

My dad told me that while he was Vietnam they'd give M16s to the South Vietnamese and they'd cut them down to pistols and would actually holster them.
View Quote

No wonder they lost the war.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:41:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

At that time they could only cut them down to about 14" barrels and still have them operate. Must have been very comical and slow pulling a 14" barreled "pistol" from a holster.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:19:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Wow, bracegate before the internet was big.  I'd totally take a pinned collapsed CTR pistol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How interesting - I was not aware of that either.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top