Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2015 7:27:34 PM EDT
I have a KAK pistol tube with a cheap a$$ knockoff Magpul sling adapter. The KAK does not use a castle nut and I tightened it by hand also used blue tread locker. Now my upper does not sit back far enough to get the pins in. If I back the buffer tube off a few turns the back plate is loose. Do they make a thicker end plate?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
.............. Now my upper does not sit back far enough to get the pins in. If I back the buffer tube off a few turns the back plate is loose. .........................
View Quote

If the upper closes on the lower and the take down pin won't go in, the issue is not with the KAK tube.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#2]
The upper does fit fine with the buffer tube backed off a turn and loose. When you tighten the tube it seems to push the upper forward 1/16 of an inch and the pins will not go in.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The upper does fit fine with the buffer tube backed off a turn and loose. When you tighten the tube it seems to push the upper forward 1/16 of an inch and the pins will not go in.
View Quote

Tube can't push past the buffer retainer pin. Oh, so is there a buffer retainer pin in there?

- OS
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:00:00 PM EDT
[#4]
So you sure it isn't slightly over threading into the receiver, I assume it's retaining the detent?  You likely need to file the upper 3/4 of the front of the tube to allow the upper to sit flush or try a different end plate as your cheap knock off is well a cheap knock off.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:11:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So you sure it isn't slightly over threading into the receiver, I assume it's retaining the detent?  You likely need to file the upper 3/4 of the front of the tube to allow the upper to sit flush or try a different end plate as your cheap knock off is well a cheap knock off.
View Quote

Yes it is definitely over threaded not by much though... I'm gonna try what you said and ditch that end plate and get a decent one....thanks everyone

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:45:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I had the same problem, I ended up slightly sanding the end of the KAK tube until the upper would close on it
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 2:55:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I had the same problem, I ended up slightly sanding the end of the KAK tube until the upper would close on it
View Quote

Ive got a different brand tube that did the same thing.

I put a peice of sandpaper on the bench and held the tube and sanded the end just enough till it would close properly.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't think it's from your cheap knockoff. I think it's the tube. I have the same tube and the same problem. Thought it was the plate as well, so I tried everything from cheap $4 plates to ASAP's, Noveske QD's, and DD QD's and had the same issue. Also tried two other forged lowers. It's on my billet now. The castle nut one was a much better option.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes it is definitely over threaded not by much though... I'm gonna try what you said and ditch that end plate and get a decent one....thanks everyone

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or this

This is one of my favorite additions to my gun. It beats the whole castle nut and plate mess(IMHO).
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I know my KAK Gen II was a tad long when I initially set it up.  When I manually pulled back on the charging handle the bolt disappeared past the rear of the ejection port, this isn't a good thing as it can cause stove pipe type of malfunctions.  I simply filed a bit off the face of the KAK tube and all is well.  And this isn't an just a KAK issue, I've had to do it to a number of different receiver extensions to allow the bolt the sit about 1/8" to 1/4" in front of the back edge of the ejection port as it was designed to be.

AR's maybe be easy to bolt, torque and hammer together but it doesn't mean some parts don't need to be fitted for proper operation.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:03:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Or this

This is one of my favorite additions to my gun. It beats the whole castle nut and plate mess(IMHO).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or this

nice, like the ACE rifle RE gusset but for use a/ a carbine RE and inclused a QD socket that is centered.  Sure, you could just use that and leave the Endplate & castle nut out.  Would help w/ a LW build.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:10:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Early generation KAK tubes were a smidge too long, 5 seconds with the grinder fixed mine.
View Quote

Or a belt sander...
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top