Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2015 11:12:46 AM EDT
Looking for info on where to buy 5inch muzzle attachments especially CHEAP priced ones I believe there called moderators to make a barrel 16 inchs like the old colts.
Thx for any help
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#1]
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/555660.htm
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought mine off of Amazon. They have a bunch of different ones and cheap prices.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Tonyscustomsllc.com
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Model 1 even has a couple of different ones. One slotted and one just full of holes.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Am looking at this for my 10.5 inch barrel.... http://www.usmachinegun.com/proddetail.php?prod=AR10-PRT55 , or this... http://www.usmachinegun.com/proddetail.php?prod=AR10-A155 . Just wish i didn't have to pin it but oh well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:17:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Am looking at this for my 10.5 inch barrel.... http://www.usmachinegun.com/proddetail.php?prod=AR10-PRT55 , or this... http://www.usmachinegun.com/proddetail.php?prod=AR10-A155 . Just wish i didn't have to pin it but oh well.
View Quote

That's only going to bring you to 15". I believe most AR barrels are threaded roughly .5" so a 10.5" barrel (10") + 5.5" (5")muzzle device would equal 15" since both have .5" threaded areas to mate that don't contribute to overall length.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I shot them an email last night. Had a reply this morning. They made a good point of not going longer as the risk of a baffle strike increases. Guess I am screwed and will leave mine alone as is and hope SIG wins there argument. Until then, one arm shooting in public.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:12:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's only going to bring you to 15". I believe most AR barrels are threaded roughly .5" so a 10.5" barrel (10") + 5.5" (5")muzzle device would equal 15" since both have .5" threaded areas to mate that don't contribute to overall length.
View Quote

While you couldn't count both threaded areas (since they overlap) I don't see why you are not counting either one.

You measure from the end of the barrel (the crown), which includes the threaded section, but normally do not count any muzzle device. If the muzzle device is permanently attached, it is counted for length.

So a 10.5" barrel + 5.5" muzzle device = 16" - .5" overlap of threaded areas = 15.5" length.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:07:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm really not trying to be a smart ass with this question (seriously).

But...why do this?

Shorter barrels give up velocity in favor of form factor, they're lighter, smaller, and easier to swing around.

Taking a 10.5" barrel and adding a tube to it to get to 16" is like having the worst parts of both worlds. It is no longer lighter (just get a 16" ultralight barrel) and it is no longer smaller...but you still lose velocity due to the actual barrel only being 10.5".

I've always felt the same way about a pined 14" barrel with a welded in comp/flash hider. That's a ton of effort for a 2" reduction and you'd better hope you love that comp...because you're stuck with it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

While you couldn't count both threaded areas (since they overlap) I don't see why you are not counting either one.

You measure from the end of the barrel (the crown), which includes the threaded section, but normally do not count any muzzle device. If the muzzle device is permanently attached, it is counted for length.

So a 10.5" barrel + 5.5" muzzle device = 16" - .5" overlap of threaded areas = 15.5" length.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I realized after the fact that the total should have been 15.5". Thanks for the correction.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't understand the logic in doing this.  If you are going to make the barrel 16 inches to comply with the law, why not just use a 16 inch barrel?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I think generally it is for weight and handling.

5" of barrel is heavier than 5" of muzzle device due to there being more metal. Since the weight is also at the end of the barrel, it contributes to the weapon being "nose heavy."
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:20:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Five inches of a larger diameter muzzle device with the same wall thickness will be heavier than the smaller diameter of the barrel, resulting in a muzzle heavy balance. Adding all the weight to a pistol barrel is exactly that, adding a bunch of weight.

Why remains the question. It's not worth the money, time, and labor to do that  modification unless the point is to simulate the look of the XM177. That moderator - classed as a suppressor - was needed because we were using a high flash powder in them. Today the preferred choice is the MK 262 round which uses low flash powder.

For all the workaround, a suppressor would be the better choice  - which is exactly what the Navy uses on the MK18 10.5" barrels.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I think he is trying to increase the length of a barrel he already owns to make a pistol into a carbine.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#15]
How about the answer to your why question is this: Because 'Merica.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Five inches of a larger diameter muzzle device with the same wall thickness will be heavier than the smaller diameter of the barre
View Quote

Muzzle devices aren't necessarily the same thickness as the barrel. For that matter, different barrels with different profiles will have different thicknesses. And the muzzle device will have openings the reduce weight, where as a longer barrel will not.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I checked with KAK industies, where i got my 10.5 inch 308 upper from, to see if they would make a 6 inch flash can. Was told no, but they are receiving allot of request for it. Shouldn't have to worry about muzzle strike using a flash can. Light weight too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've always felt the same way about a pined 14" barrel with a welded in comp/flash hider. That's a ton of effort for a 2" reduction and you'd better hope you love that comp...because you're stuck with it.
View Quote

But... but... you can mount a bayonet on it!  
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I wonder if you permanently installed a bayonet if the ATF would count it toward OAL? :P
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Looking for info on where to buy 5inch muzzle attachments especially CHEAP priced ones I believe there called moderators to make a barrel 16 inchs like the old colts.
Thx for any help
View Quote

I know its not cheap but its 6"  

http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/Muzzle_Ares_Breath
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top