Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/17/2015 11:36:20 AM EDT
Less then 24 hrs since the letter hit the net( ATF Letter ) and prices are dropping like the proverbial rock...
Osage County Guns has then now for $89.99
http://www.osagecountyguns.com/firearm-accessories/sig-sb15-pistol-stabilizing-brace.html
Prices on E Bay are also significantly lower and some are stating that there will be no returns specifically because of legal issues.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Saw one over on the big auction site with a buy it now price of $40 earlier this morning with a buffer tube.  Just checked and it's gone but LOTS of others for cheap listed.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#2]
buying 4 and taping them to my shoulder
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#3]
The prices of the original version are getting cheaper because they are ugly, heavier and bigger than the SBX.  No one wants the SB15 any more because of the SBX.  
Once the SBX came out sales of the SB15 dropped and to sell them people have to lower the price.

The new open letter basically just says if your intent is to use the brace as a stock then it is a stock.  If you redesign the brace to be a stock it is a stock.  
I think it is simple logic that if the physical appearance of a firearm is legal or illegal based on your intent or design intent of a certain part of the firearm that all firearms could now be illegal or legal based on intent or design intent alone.
A Glock held at the shoulder would be an intended SB rifle, A shotgun fired with one hand would be an intended pistol, a machine gun fired one round at a time would be redesigned as a semi auto and a tank driven to work would be a redesigned daily driver car.
In other words the letter does not say anything other than if your intent is to redesign the brace it is no longer a brace.
* Is holding the brace to your shoulder a redesign or an obvious result of using the tube as a cheek weld?
*Did the letter state anything about removing and reinstalling the brace based on use? No
*Does the letter state that shouldering the brace is illegal or did it say using the brace as a redesigned shoulder stock is illegal?  
*Is holding an ARMBRACE to the shoulder an intended redesign into a stock or is it simply holding an ARMBRACE in a different temporary position?
*Does placing your hand on the last 4 inches of a 16'' barrel redesign that portion of barrel into a hand grip and make the rifle a 12'' SBR?  This is arguably as logical as the redesign of the brace.
The letter means nothing legally other than scaring people into believing they think it sounds like something that might mean something if it was worded like it might be.  It's intent is to slow sales of a company they are in legal battles with and hurt them financially without actually saying ''I screwed up''.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:00:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The prices of the original version are getting cheaper because they are ugly, heavier and bigger than the SBX.  No one wants the SB15 any more because of the SBX.  
Once the SBX came out sales of the SB15 dropped and to sell them people have to lower the price.
View Quote

Weird. There have been a metric shit ton hit the EE in the last 24 hours, for cheap. Must all be replacing them with SBX's.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Less then 24 hrs since the letter hit the net( ATF Letter ) and prices are dropping like the proverbial rock...
Osage County Guns has then now for $89.99
http://www.osagecountyguns.com/firearm-accessories/sig-sb15-pistol-stabilizing-brace.html
Prices on E Bay are also significantly lower and some are stating that there will be no returns specifically because of legal issues.
View Quote

To bad we can't say the same for complete short barrel upper prices and availability.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#6]
So it looks like its fucked then.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Weird. There have been a metric shit ton hit the EE in the last 24 hours, for cheap. Must all be replacing them with SBX's.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More likely getting out of the Sig brace thing all together.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah....
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#9]
people should have shut up and not send in "countless" of letters about the shouldering of a sig brace. well form 1s are about to go up.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Will buy one for cheap.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
people should have shut up and not send in "countless" of letters about the shouldering of a sig brace. well form 1s are about to go up.
View Quote

Not for everyone.... it's pretty safe to say that unless you frequent public ranges, you are fine with your sig brace. Im not getting rid of my SBX anytime soon. I'll form 1 my 12.5" eventually but for the time being, SBX it is
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Its going to be hard to prove that you were shouldering  vs getting a cheek weld on buffer tube.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Hrm, have been holding off on buying a SB as I thought they were a bit silly, was going to succumb and buy one today.

Now to decide, should I Form1 my rifle upper (started as a pistol) or my current pistol lower.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#14]
The smartest thing to do is sell them if you have them.

You can always buy another brace down the road.
Risk mitigation against the unknown.

I'm listing both of mine and keeping one.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hrm, have been holding off on buying a SB as I thought they were a bit silly, was going to succumb and buy one today.

Now to decide, should I Form1 my rifle upper (started as a pistol) or my current pistol lower.

Thoughts?
View Quote

Form 1 all the things.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Everyone that sells one has the idiot that wrote the letter to thank....
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:13:47 PM EDT
[#17]
With this wording it is now illegal to shoulder the crutch tips and foam covers as this will constitute a redesign. After all, the ONLY reason for a crutch tip is to shoulder the gun. Same for the foam, it is there for cumfort while shouldering. They will have fun enforcing this.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I am not selling mine.  Its unenforceable.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Nah....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah....

You reeeeally think that all of sudden, by some magic coincidence, everyone is wanting an SBX instead(which is ugl-ier as hell to some. but to each his own)...and it has nothing to do with this huge event? Wow. Whatever. Carry on then.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You reeeeally think that all of sudden, by some magic coincidence, everyone is wanting an SBX instead...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah....

You reeeeally think that all of sudden, by some magic coincidence, everyone is wanting an SBX instead...

Yeah, the letter under question addresses all pistol stabilization braces, on any firearm type, so it's silly to think everyone is switching to SBX because it is exempt or something.

- OS
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Form 1 all the things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

Form 1 all the things.

Yes, that is the ticket, get in line, quiet down and pay the extortion fee.

I have trained with my SB15's and found that just establishing a good cheekweld will put the end of the brace very close to my shoulder.  While this works great,  I  gotta wonder if there will be a proximity threshold from the rear of the Pistol Brace to the shoulder /chest area that will constitute "intent" and magically transform my cheekweld into a shoulderweld .    Time to write a letter to the BATFE
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#22]
one of my FFLs had a good idea if u knew where the nearest range with ATF agents at it.  Buy one of these dirt cheap and put it on my SBR...and then go and shoot in a nearby lane. Let'm freak out, then bust out the stamp with a "yeah bitches, suck it!"  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:07:25 AM EDT
[#23]
one of my FFLs had a good idea if u knew where the nearest range with ATF agents at it. Buy one of these dirt cheap and put it on my SBR...and then go and shoot in a nearby lane. Let'm freak out, then bust out the stamp with a "yeah bitches, suck it!"  
View Quote

Stupid, but ballsy
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:08:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Reading all these post has got me laughing.

Why?

We all bitch and complain when the federal govt and others have a knee jerk reaction to a mass shooting and the "gun ban" rhetoric starts to fly.

Look at all of you and the knee jerk reactions.

Number one it isn't a law stating you can't shoot a gun with 2 hands.

Secondly, it states if when you build the lower and intend to use the brace as a stock then in fact it is now a SBR.

It takes a lot to prove "intent".

Stop knee jerking to a letter that has no date. Also stop until it's made an actual law. If it's not a law, they can't charge you with anything. Just my .02 worth
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:20:26 AM EDT
[#25]
ATF would lose big in court with their back and forth.
Too many rational arguments, two-handed pistol grip, cane tips, CAA saddles, using a rifle extension on a pistol, the earlier Sig Brace letters...too many opinions to the contrary of this new letter to stand up in court.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:38:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Too bad the rest of my pistol build parts will be in next week... Been planning on taking the canoe out fishing... Never really got the hang of keeping it upright...
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:28:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Its the shape of a stock people.

It's literally the shape of a stock.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:23:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Its the shape of a stock people.

It's literally the shape of a stock.
View Quote

What the fuck is your point?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:14:12 AM EDT
[#29]
I sold mine 2 weeks ago on ebay for $100. Glad I did it when I did.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Reading all these post has got me laughing.

Why?

We all bitch and complain when the federal govt and others have a knee jerk reaction to a mass shooting and the "gun ban" rhetoric starts to fly.

Look at all of you and the knee jerk reactions.

Number one it isn't a law stating you can't shoot a gun with 2 hands.

Secondly, it states if when you build the lower and intend to use the brace as a stock then in fact it is now a SBR.

It takes a lot to prove "intent".

Stop knee jerking to a letter that has no date. Also stop until it's made an actual law. If it's not a law, they can't charge you with anything. Just my .02 worth
View Quote

That's not what the latest letter said
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Sounds like it's a good time for me to buy a couple.  Or more.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a solution for this mess.....buy a CAA Tactical Cheek Rest instead. That, along with a single point sling, is what I will be going for.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Bwahaha, people had to just keep poking and poking and poking the ATF, daring them to write a new letter.

Well, to those people, you got what you wanted.

That said, I'm going to take advantage of the panic selling.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:26:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Am I bad at math?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Am I bad at math?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Am I bad at math?
Do you even common core bro?

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You reeeeally think that all of sudden, by some magic coincidence, everyone is wanting an SBX instead(which is ugl-ier as hell to some. but to each his own)...and it has nothing to do with this huge event? Wow. Whatever. Carry on then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah....

Lol adjust your sarcasm detector. I put an emoticon up there to make it easy. Of course the letter is why everyone is dumping them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#37]
This is like a soap opera for gun nuts - "As The Letter Turns, So Shall The Days Of Our Lives."

Mind if I pop some corn?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#38]
All, shooting AR pistol without SB15 is not a hard thing to do, if they ban it (we don't know for sure) we are out whatever we paid for unless ATF will buy them back from us or allow those that already owned them to keep ours before the ban date (likely story )....who knows  So if they ban it what are we supposed to do with them....since they are not legal to have and can't sell them.....????  I am not planning on going Form 1 route as that is totally unacceptable, I don't want to deal with anymore paper work if/when I need to bring my AR pistol out of my State....that's the reason I did not go with SBR route from the beginning

Will they make a fuss and still come after anyone that still have SB15 on but shoot their AR pistol pressing against their cheeks (not shouldering)????  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
All, shooting AR pistol without SB15 is not a hard thing to do, if they ban it (we don't know for sure) we are out whatever we paid for unless ATF will buy them back from us or allow those that already owned them to keep ours before the ban date (likely story )....who knows  So if they ban it what are we supposed to do with them....since they are not legal to have and can't sell them.....????  I am not planning on going Form 1 route as that is totally unacceptable, I don't want to deal with anymore paper work if/when I need to bring my AR pistol out of my State....that's the reason I did not go with SBR route from the beginning

Will they make a fuss and still come after anyone that still have SB15 on but shoot their AR pistol pressing against their cheeks (not shouldering)????  
View Quote

You realize all this is moot unless ATF enforces it, right?

- OS
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:19:33 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm surprised at the prices these are selling for in the EE. I'd have thought they'd be worth $10 - $20 given a ton of new and used supply and a lack of demand. Seems they are selling for $70 - $80 or so.

Is it just that word hasn't gotten out to many gun owners and vendors given that the letter started making the rounds online Friday late afternoon?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#41]
In an earlier letter the ATF stated shouldering the brace did not make it an SBR? People had to keep poking the bear!

Does shooting a a pistol with the buffer tube alone against your shoulder make it an SBR?

My brace is so tight on the spikes buffer tube, i think I would have to cut it off.

I knew I should have saved my money and went with the form 1 in the first place. Stupid ATF
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Stupid ATF
View Quote

I'd say it's more like stupid people writing letters.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I knew I should have saved my money and went with the form 1 in the first place. Stupid ATF
View Quote
So you planned all along to build a shoulder fired firearm and now you blame the ATF?

You built a SBR EXACTLY AS DEFINED IN THE NFA.

Now your mad and blame anyone but yourself because your plan to skirt the law failed. Good logic there.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:36:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I bad at math?

he was going for the common core method, but the ATF ruled that if his "intent' was to get the correct answer by using CC, it would be declared illegal, so had to try it on the abacus to stay within the law...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:37:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So you planned all along to build a shoulder fired firearm and now you blame the ATF?
Now your mad and blame anyone but yourself because your plan to skirt the law failed. Good logic there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, he built a pistol. The brace IS NOT a stock. Therefore he did not build a SBR. It is not an "illegally manufactured" SBR, or "Redesigned" as an SBR until it is USED like a stock & the USE only occurs when it 1) is fired (actually used) like an SBR & 2) it can be proven you did & 3) the Courts hears the case & sides with the ATF & supports their "Ruling".

Remember a shoestring was once "Ruled" a machine gun & having notches or serrations on an 80% lower constituted a "Firearm", all of which courts dismissed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:49:32 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

only if you are wearing a pair of these while you shoot.

the shoes alone should violate numerous federal, state & local laws by themselves.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:02:25 AM EDT
[#47]
I just checked eBay. Prices aren't as low as I was expecting. Probably still people who haven't heard.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
No, he built a pistol. The brace IS NOT a stock. Therefore he did not build a SBR. It is not an "illegally manufactured" SBR, or "Redesigned" as an SBR until it is USED like a stock & the USE only occurs when it 1) is fired (actually used) like an SBR & 2) it can be proven you did & 3) the Courts hears the case & sides with the ATF & supports their "Ruling".

Remember a shoestring was once "Ruled" a machine gun & having notches or serrations on an 80% lower constituted a "Firearm", all of which courts dismissed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't need to form 1 a pistol. His post shows clearly that he intended his build to be fired from the shoulder. He simply figured, as most that bought the brace, that he could save the tax by using the brace instead. He designed built and intended it to be fired from the shoulder, that is the very definition of a rifle. With a barrel under 16" or an AOL under 26" that is a SBR.

The definiton of the shoestring or the 80%  is not and never was  codified law. The definition of a rifle was enacted by Congress and codified , it is law and the ATF cannot change that with any kind of rule or determination.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:16:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You don't need to form 1 a pistol. His post shows clearly that he intended his build to be fired from the shoulder. He simply figured, as most that bought the brace, that he could save the tax by using the brace instead. He designed built and intended it to be fired from the shoulder, that is the very definition of a rifle. With a barrel under 16" or an AOL under 26" that is a SBR.

The definiton of the shoestring or the 80%  is not and never was  codified law. The definition of a rifle was enacted by Congress and codified , it is law and the ATF cannot change that with any kind of rule or determination.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And with one over 26"....it's not
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:53:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Re think that one. Your saying a rifle with a barrel under 16" but over 26"OAL is not a SBR.

I think 90% the confusion in these forums, or in the NFA laws for that matter, could be eliminated with simple reading and comprehension.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top