Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/13/2014 4:12:42 AM EDT
I would like to know what pistol tube/Sig Brace would be the same size as a normal M4 stock in the shortest position.  I have a 10.5 inch barrel and I want this build to remain under 26 inches so that it remains a pistol.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#1]
My 10.5 is just over 26" if you include A2 flash hider and that is with a pistol tube that is about 3/4" shorter that carbine tube.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Remember that the muzzle device does not count towards OAL unless it is permanently attached.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I would like to know what pistol tube/Sig Brace would be the same size as a normal M4 stock in the shortest position.  I have a 10.5 inch barrel and I want this build to remain under 26 inches so that it remains a pistol.
View Quote

You'll need a standard length ~7" buffer tube, pistol or carbine. Not counting muzzle device, it will be under 26".

I didn't know CO also had this state law? At any rate, you'd need to be sure CO doesn't count non-permanent muzzle device into OAL,  same as Feds. When I've asked, nobody in MI has ever answered that question when I've posed it about the law there either.

I don't understand your reference to a carbine stock though. Obviously a stock, even in collapsed position, adds overall length past a buffer tube and is counted in overall length of a rifle, and of course can't be used with a short barrel without a fed stamp.

- OS

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:33:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't know CO also had this state law? At any rate, you'd need to be sure CO doesn't count non-permanent muzzle device into OAL,  same as Feds. When I've asked, nobody in MI has ever answered that question when I've posed it about the law there either.
View Quote

IANAL, but my read on the CO statutes is that barrel needs to be under 12" to count as a pistol - I didn't see any OAL requirement there (though of course adding a VFG to a >26" OAL would make it a "firearm" under federal law not a "pistol" so I think you can't do that and still count it as a pistol for concealed carry).

I've not found anything in the CO statutes to specify how OAL is measured (or barrel length for that matter), so I would presume it to follow federal standards, but again, IANAL and this is NOT legal advice.

Richard
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Per federal law it's still a pistol over 26" OAL, it only becomes a firearm when a VFG is attached. Your state law may vary.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You'll need a standard length ~7" buffer tube, pistol or carbine. Not counting muzzle device, it will be under 26".

I don't understand your reference to a carbine stock though. Obviously a stock, even in collapsed position, adds overall length past a buffer tube and is counted in overall length of a rifle, and of course can't be used with a short barrel without a fed stamp.

- OS

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

It doesn't have anything to do with state law like what you are thinking.  Colorado has a hunting law that says a legal rifle has to have a 16 in barrel.  I don't want to have a 16 inch 300 blackout and then add a suppressor on the end to hunt so I thought I could use this and it is still considered a pistol.  Does that make sense?  Thanks for the response!  My other solution is do do something like the Tactical Solutions TSAR-300 but that costs a fortune for what it is.  I was thinking about getting a thread adapter and welding a tube on it, then permanently affixing it to my barrel and screwing the suppressor inside this shroud, thus having a weapon that is still good for subsonics but isn't 10 feet long!   ETA I already have an SBR tax stamped lower but it is not legal to hunt with because of the barrel length restriction.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:32:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

- OS

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

The standard CAR stocks are flush with the end of the buffer tube when collapsed, so no, they don't add length.  Maybe a Magpul adds length, but the plain old $12 stock has a hole in the end to the let the buffer tube come flush.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The standard CAR stocks are flush with the end of the buffer tube when collapsed, so no, they don't add length.  Maybe a Magpul adds length, but the plain old $12 stock has a hole in the end to the let the buffer tube come flush.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Duh. Of course you are right, synapse misfired somewhere.

- OS
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It doesn't have anything to do with state law like what you are thinking.  Colorado has a hunting law that says a legal rifle has to have a 16 in barrel.  I don't want to have a 16 inch 300 blackout and then add a suppressor on the end to hunt so I thought I could use this and it is still considered a pistol.  Does that make sense?  ....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

It doesn't have anything to do with state law like what you are thinking.  Colorado has a hunting law that says a legal rifle has to have a 16 in barrel.  I don't want to have a 16 inch 300 blackout and then add a suppressor on the end to hunt so I thought I could use this and it is still considered a pistol.  Does that make sense?  ....

What doesn't make sense is your concern over 26" OAL. Unless CO has yet another law you didn't mention, run whatever length barrel you want on a pistol regardless of OAL of the firearm. There is no federal OAL maximum (or barrel length maximum) for a handgun.

- OS
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#10]
The Colorado statue where firearms with over 12 inch barrel is no longer considered a pistol is something put into place to keep hunters in line. It seems silly to me, but my friends who hunt bear all think its a good thing to have.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Colorado statue where firearms with over 12 inch barrel is no longer considered a pistol is something put into place to keep hunters in line. It seems silly to me, but my friends who hunt bear all think its a good thing to have.
View Quote

But again, his whole concern was with max OAL of 26". Any statutes about that in CO?

- OS
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:52:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

But again, his whole concern was with max OAL of 26". Any statutes about that in CO?

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

I don't think there is other than the front grip thing.  The weird thing is that the regulations for big game state:

c. Shoulder stocks or attachments prohibited.

But small game has no such rule listed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:54:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

It makes no sense at all considering there is no special handgun season, meaning you have to use a rifle tag to hunt with a handgun anyway.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:55:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't think there is other than the front grip thing.  The weird thing is that the regulations for big game state:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

You started the whole thread with concerns about staying under 26" overall length so that it "stays a pistol".

Unless CO has specific laws to contravene them, federally:

- you may make a handgun from any receiver that was not initially configured as a rifle

- again, there is no limit on OAL or barrel length for a handgun

- a pistol with legal OAL of 26" or more may have a vertical forward grip attached, at which time it becomes a legal non-NFA firearm. Remove the grip, it's magically a pistol again. Just as with barrel length, a muzzle device does not count in OAL unless permanently attached. That is the only significance of the 26" measurement of an AR pistol.

- Of course, you can never have an attached stock with a rifled barrel of under 16" without an SBR tax stamp

- OS
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:58:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You started the whole thread with concerns about staying under 26" overall length so that it "stays a pistol".

- you may make a handgun from any receiver that was not initially configured as a rifle

- a pistol with legal OAL of 26" or more may have a vertical forward grip attached, at which time it becomes a legal non-NFA firearm. Remove the grip, it's magically a pistol again. Just as with barrel length, a muzzle device does not count in OAL unless permanently attached. That is the only significance of the 26" measurement of an AR pistol.

- Of course, you can never have an attached stock with a rifled barrel of under 16" without an SBR tax stamp

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

- OS

Good deal.  Now I just need to find out which pistol tube works best with the Sig brace, and is 7 inches long.  I think the KAK one is longer.  I will have to research that now.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:18:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Good deal.  Now I just need to find out which pistol tube works best with the Sig brace, and is 7 inches long.  I think the KAK one is longer.  I will have to research that now.  Thanks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

- OS

So, still curious -- since OAL is not a factor as you apparently originally thought,  do you shoot an AR rifle with stock at the fully collapsed setting?

- OS

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:54:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes, that is how I shoot a carbine.  Closer to center chest than shoulder.  Plate towards enemy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yes, that is how I shoot a carbine.  Closer to center chest than shoulder.  Plate towards enemy.
View Quote

Left eye dominant and right-handed????  I'm trying to picture how that position works at all

(Not meant as a criticism, just honestly confused.)

Richard
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:23:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Left eye dominant and right-handed????  I'm trying to picture how that position works at all

Richard
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Richard

Yeah sorry, it would be easier to show than describe.  I am saying not out far on the shoulder.  More in on the peck, towards the centerline of my body.  More like this at the 25 second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfW8sJTqhAw

Shoulders square to the target.  See how his stock is all the way down and the rifle is pulled in really tight with the off hand out to control the muzzle?
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top