Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2014 7:09:50 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm getting my 12.5" wrapped up but it's looking like it's turning into one heafty bastard (optics and the Noveske crusader barrel isn't exactly light either). For what it is, I'm perfectly OK with this but just want a shorter, lighter, budget KISS upper on hand and the Radical looks like it's just the ticket at well under $300. I've already got a set of sights on hand plus I'd just pop out the BCG (PSA NiB premium) and CH (Raptor) out of the 12.5" so total investment wouldn't be much. Sure, i want to give it the A2/A4 treatment sooner or later but that's no biggie.

However, at that price, they are definitely cutting corners somewhere but the question is where? If it's mechanically sound and prints within 3moa, I'd be happy with it

So what fo yall think?  Ok plan? Or avoid like the plague?
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I would like to hear anyone's experience with this as well.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#2]
There are two posts on here, including mine as well as a few youtube videos that cover the quality. Can't speak for accuracy besides the fact I ran about 20 rds at 250 yards and it shot as well as my dpms 16" upper hitting steel all day.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I purchased a Radical 10.5" upper and the fit and finish is very good.  
Pins on to the Anderson lower easily and very little to no gaps/wobble.
Range - only have shot it at 25 yds but its very accurate at that distance using Wolf Gold 55 grain .223 with one of the new Primary Arms MDS.
No problems with failure to feed/eject and bolt stays open on last round.  Probably have put 400 rounds thru it now.  
Here is a pic:

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Range - only have shot it at 25 yds but its very accurate at that distance using Wolf Gold 55 grain .223 with one of the new Primary Arms MDS.

No problems with failure to feed/eject and bolt stays open on last round.  Probably have put 400 rounds thru it now.  

Here is a pic:

http://files.websitetoolbox.com/13095/2105451
View Quote
How do you like the OSS brake?

ETA: OP from their website it looks like they use a lot of Aero Precision parts.

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:34:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

ETA: OP from their website it looks like they use a lot of Aero Precision parts.

View Quote View All Quotes
    View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Here is a pic:
    http://files.websitetoolbox.com/13095/2105451

I like the OSS a lot - I think it was worth the upgrade $
      Reduces muzzle rise and flash really well compared to some of the other standard cmp/flash hider options
      Link Posted: 12/9/2014 1:00:52 PM EDT
      [#6]
      I've got a 10.5 in 300BO.  It shoots fine.

I believe the handguard on mine is from Vector.
      Link Posted: 12/9/2014 1:05:10 PM EDT
      [#7]
      Nice uppers, 7.5 shoots great.
      Link Posted: 12/9/2014 7:28:54 PM EDT
      [#8]
      I got mine today. I ordered the 10.5" 5.56. Rail was loose, so I tightened it up. I needed to add a lot of lube, it came BONE dry. Not bad for $250, I guess.
      Link Posted: 12/9/2014 7:44:08 PM EDT
      [#9]
      Il ike them.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:47:40 PM EDT
      [#10]

I like that setup! I just ordered mine, so hopefully it runs well.

Anyone else had any problems with them?
      Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:05:57 PM EDT
      [#11]
      Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:35:44 PM EDT
      [#12]

Very nice. Santa is bringing me a 7.5 upper. What muzzle device is that? I was leaning toward November kx5.
      Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:49:12 PM EDT
      [#13]
      Quoted:

View All Quotes
      Quoted:

I had weak extraction the first time out, would pull case out of chamber but would not cosistantly throw it out (new BCG). Installed this BCM kit, and it now runs great, never misses a beat with many ammo types!
      Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:53:22 PM EDT
      [#14]
      I have a 10.5" upper in 5.56 on a PSA lower. Just ran 60 rounds of AE through it today (indoor range, wanted to go easy on my fellow shooters). Ops check good. No FTF or FTE. Just the noise and fireball as I'm still just running the standard A2 birdcage.

While it was only 60 rounds I'm confidant that it will be fine. Was fully expecting to have extraction or buffer issues but none surfaced (also running a Radical Firearms BCG).
      Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:33:40 PM EDT
      [#15]
      Quoted:
      I like my 7.5" so much, and it has performed so well, that I ordered a 10.5"

Should be here tomorrow, Tuesday at the latest.

Radical Firarms is putting out an excellent product at an excellent price from my experience.

My 7.5" eats Tula .223 lke candy, no issues with 600rds and counting
      View Quote

Did you order directly from Radical? I ordered mine 11/25 and am getting extremely anxious waiting for it to be built! I knew it was listed as 2-4 week turnaround, so no big deal, but saw they somewhat recently changed it to up to 8 weeks, so really hoping mine goes out here in the next week.
      Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:51:32 PM EDT
      [#16]
      Quoted:

Very nice. Santa is bringing me a 7.5 upper. What muzzle device is that? I was leaning toward November kx5.
      View All Quotes
      Quoted:

It is a Kineti Brake
      Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:17:05 PM EDT
      [#17]
      I have a Radical Firearms 10.5" upper mated to an Anderson lower.  I have about 400 rounds through it so far.  The range where I shoot is max'd out at 100 yds.  I am very pleased with the accuracy at this range.  The quad rail is heavy imo and I just ordered a lightweight 12" handguard today to replace it.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:56:27 AM EDT
      [#18]
      Quoted:
      I have a Radical Firearms 10.5" upper mated to an Anderson lower.  I have about 400 rounds through it so far.  The range where I shoot is max'd out at 100 yds.  I am very pleased with the accuracy at this range.  The quad rail is heavy imo and I just ordered a lightweight 12" handguard today to replace it.

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz346/bagman_01/b5148e62-c2e1-4866-a3db-fc12e60401ce_zps23a41d40.jpg
      View Quote

Strong username to first post and content ratio. Good lookin pistol there, makes me want mine that much more! What flash can is that on there? KAK?
      Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:30:01 PM EDT
      [#19]
      Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:36:06 PM EDT
      [#20]
      Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:40:10 PM EDT
      [#21]
      Quoted:

Strong username to first post and content ratio. Good lookin pistol there, makes me want mine that much more! What flash can is that on there? KAK?
      View All Quotes
      Quoted:
      Quoted:

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz346/bagman_01/b5148e62-c2e1-4866-a3db-fc12e60401ce_zps23a41d40.jpg

Yea the user name I usually use was taken.....

It's a KAK flash can
      Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:30:38 PM EDT
      [#22]
      Just got shipping notice yesterday that my 10.5" RF pistol is going out today. Has been basically 3 months to the day from when I ordered directly from RF. Hoping to get it by Tues for a nice bday present to myself!
      Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:23:46 PM EDT
      [#23]
      Mine got here today. I put it on an Anderson lower. It looks fine and I agree with the other poster that said the quad rail is heavy. Other than that, no complaints. Used a Spike's LPK and BCG. Tomorrow, I will throw sights on it and see how it shoots.
      Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:03:49 AM EDT
      [#24]
      It's a little heavy but not bad and I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy. Mine is 8.5" 300blk

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:12:25 PM EDT
      [#25]
      Quoted:
      It's a little heavy but not bad and I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy. Mine is 8.5" 300blk

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh564/ztug/300blk/20141114_171518-1_zpsplcxkfqn.jpg
      View Quote

Same upper i received today.

A few things i noticed was the ejection port cover opens really easy but it stays closed on its own so no big deal.
      I see a lot of copper colored flecks of metal in the upper like they used some kind of tool inside and didn't clean it up, it wiped off easy just wondering what left copper particles inside.
      fit and finish is good, a little on the heavy side i was expecting it to be lighter for some reason.

I wanted a cheap 300AAC for my truck gun and this upper fit my needs perfectly.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:16:06 PM EDT
      [#26]
      Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:18:37 PM EDT
      [#27]
      Guys, help me trouble shoot this. I had to sell a AR, a friend wanted a AR pistol, so I need cash, boom done.

Well it was a new unfired Radical Upper, 10.5". It rode on a Spike's  lower with a CMMG parts kit. Not my first or even 10th lower build. I used a Spikes or something pistol buffer tube, spring and buffer. I gave him a new Pmag full of 75gr PPU match. He sent a pic of one case that looked split, and said one was stuck in the barrel, spent casing, not live round.

Will try to upload pic he sent. Now I told him to clean and lube it well, use brass ammo, not the good stuff in the mag. So I am assuming he just slapped the mag in and went try shooting it. I can understand a tight gun, not cleaned, not lubed having a hiccup starting, but the PPU seems to have good reviews.

I will try to get him to meet me at nearby indoor range. First I will just get the PPU out and take it back, deal with it later. Then I will bore snake, clean and lube well with CLP. I will use some brass I have that a factory loads or M855 stuff. It may be over gassed, so I will take a extractor upgrade kit. I will take the buffer and spring from a know good 10.5 from a friends build. I will take a new bolt from a friend.

I have to get this working. The upper was bought from LGS, and un fired. But I sold it to him, and spent the money on bills and buying tablets for parents that could not afford it for the kids. So, yeah I feel like a ass, my friend is looking to me to make it right. I told him everything I knew about the build. I hid nothing, but still I was worried all night about making this right. Worst case the upper goes back to LGS and the ammo from same LGS.

Anything else to check?

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:24:46 PM EDT
      [#28]
      Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:29:35 PM EDT
      [#29]
      Quoted:
      was it cleaned and test fired before he got it?

i know my complete radical pistol had definantly been test fired before delivery. my first thought is it need a clean and lube.

never mind after looking at that brass it appears you had a case failure and that could certainly cause an extraction issue.

what does the primer look like on that round.
      View Quote

The guy owns a very popular and bust BBQ place here. He is hard to pin down for more than 5 minutes. I will try to get pics or just go hunt him down.
      Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:36:42 PM EDT
      [#30]
      Quoted:
      Guys, help me trouble shoot this. I had to sell a AR, a friend wanted a AR pistol, so I need cash, boom done.

Well it was a new unfired Radical Upper, 10.5". It rode on a Spike's  lower with a CMMG parts kit. Not my first or even 10th lower build. I used a Spikes or something pistol buffer tube, spring and buffer. I gave him a new Pmag full of 75gr PPU match. He sent a pic of one case that looked split, and said one was stuck in the barrel, spent casing, not live round.

Will try to upload pic he sent. Now I told him to clean and lube it well, use brass ammo, not the good stuff in the mag. So I am assuming he just slapped the mag in and went try shooting it. I can understand a tight gun, not cleaned, not lubed having a hiccup starting, but the PPU seems to have good reviews.

I will try to get him to meet me at nearby indoor range. First I will just get the PPU out and take it back, deal with it later. Then I will bore snake, clean and lube well with CLP. I will use some brass I have that a factory loads or M855 stuff. It may be over gassed, so I will take a extractor upgrade kit. I will take the buffer and spring from a know good 10.5 from a friends build. I will take a new bolt from a friend.

I have to get this working. The upper was bought from LGS, and un fired. But I sold it to him, and spent the money on bills and buying tablets for parents that could not afford it for the kids. So, yeah I feel like a ass, my friend is looking to me to make it right. I told him everything I knew about the build. I hid nothing, but still I was worried all night about making this right. Worst case the upper goes back to LGS and the ammo from same LGS.

Anything else to check?

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c44/zoe17/Mobile%20Uploads/Bad%20PPU_zps13l2qpl1.jpg
      View Quote

You should always clean and lube a new upper before you shoot it. That however looks to be a bad round. I could see a failure to eject from a new dry upper that was never lubed but it wouldn't cause a case failure like that. Tell him to lube it up and try again with different ammo.
      Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:39:39 PM EDT
      [#31]
      Well at first my Radical 7.5 upper worked great (over 1000 rounds with a problem), until I tried to change out my muzzle device (KX3 pig). When I put it in the upper block on my vice and tried to remove the pig, the barrel came un-screwed from its collar (the part with the nub that goes into the upper) and twisted the gas tube. Now without the right strap wrenches it will not tighten to the point that I will fire it again and the gas port n gas block are not timed right any more. Next time I work on one of these uppers I will vice down the barrel itself and not the upper. I am super bummed that my Radical Firearms upper is now parts-box-junk. Now I am looking into JSE and a few others for a new 7.5 inch upper.
      Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:58:48 PM EDT
      [#32]
      Quoted:
      nothing personal but i am really kinda getting a chuckle out of the these "heavy" comments. i am pretty much a lard butt couch potato and have no issue with the weight even shooting one handed.
      View Quote

Now that i think about it i had to laugh at my comment also.
      It's just in my mind something so small should not feel like it weighs the same as my plane jane PSA build.
      Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:07:45 PM EDT
      [#33]
      Quoted:

Anything else to check?

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c44/zoe17/Mobile%20Uploads/Bad%20PPU_zps13l2qpl1.jpg
      View Quote

That round did not fire in battery i would be thinking the firing pin is stuck forward and making it slam fire befor it gets all the way in battery.
      also look in the chamber to see if you see the neck of a old case ripped off and stuck keeping it form chambering all the way.
      Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:17:28 PM EDT
      [#34]
      Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:25:12 PM EDT
      [#35]
      That case clearly shows it was at least 1/4 inch out of battery when it fired look at the neck now look back 1/4 inch, it resizes itself to fit the chamber when it went bang.
      Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:48:24 PM EDT
      [#36]
      Quoted:

Anything else to check?

View Quote

Is there any chance a 5.56 round would do that when fired in a .300 blackout barrel?
      Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:57:22 PM EDT
      [#37]
      How accurate are these radical uppers?
      Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:22:00 PM EDT
      [#38]
      Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:40:41 PM EDT
      [#39]
      Quoted:

Is there any chance a 5.56 round would do that when fired in a .300 blackout barrel?
      View All Quotes
      Quoted:
      Quoted:

Anything else to check?

Exactly what I was thinking, split case is kinda weird though.
      Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:14:10 PM EDT
      [#40]
      Finally pinned him down to call me and we talked about this.

When I handed him his Christmas present to himself, I told him it was, new, unfired. I told him it needed to be cleaned and lubed. He does own a AR but I am not certain of the make, so I assumed he knew.

The magazine he inserted in the rifle was a new, out of the wrapper Pmag, that I had loaded with the 75 Match PPU.

He said it was a rough day, so I got my new toy out, walked the deck to do a mag dump in to the berm. 1 round fired and ejected, second round fired, stuck case now.

We are going to meet up tomorrow and get it worked out. I am more concerned than he is. I will get the spent casing. I have almost 1K of this stuff. If the round in chamber is split, all the ammo is going back.

So no fault of Radical that I see yet, unless the barrel is wrong or the LGS sold me the wrong one.
      Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:47:23 PM EDT
      [#41]
      Found another thread with an IDENTICAL looking case, many people were speculating it was a 7.62x39 chamber but it was never confirmed http://www.ak47.net/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=643618

RF does sell 7.62x39 10.5" uppers/barrels.
      Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:32:02 AM EDT
      [#42]
      Quoted:

It's just in my mind something so small should not feel like it weighs the same as my plane jane PSA build.
      View All Quotes
      Quoted:
      Quoted:
      nothing personal but i am really kinda getting a chuckle out of the these "heavy" comments. i am pretty much a lard butt couch potato and have no issue with the weight even shooting one handed.

that's what I meant by it too, it weighs as much as my Colt 6720. And something that's half the size shouldn't weigh as much. I think it's a combination of the quad rail and the sig brace.
      Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:34:40 AM EDT
      [#43]
      Quoted:
      How accurate are these radical uppers?
      View Quote

I was very happy with the accuracy of my 8.5 inch 300 blackout .pleasantly surprised that it was as accurate as my 16 inch sota
      Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:54:09 AM EDT
      [#44]
      Took mine out yesterday and ran 20 rounds of M855, 20 rounds of Black Hills 60 grain V-Max, and 20 rounds of Hornady steel cased ammo. No problems at all. It shot a 2" group at 100 yards with the Black Hills and a vortex scope I threw on it just to see what it would do.

The only thing I noticed was the pic rails seem to be a little wider than normal. My Magpul BUIS were really tight sliding them on, and my Larue mount for the scope was really snug. I got them on no problem; they were just tighter than other rails.

Great value.
      Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:01:10 PM EDT
      [#45]
      Quoted:
      Finally pinned him down to call me and we talked about this.

When I handed him his Christmas present to himself, I told him it was, new, unfired. I told him it needed to be cleaned and lubed. He does own a AR but I am not certain of the make, so I assumed he knew.

The magazine he inserted in the rifle was a new, out of the wrapper Pmag, that I had loaded with the 75 Match PPU.

He said it was a rough day, so I got my new toy out, walked the deck to do a mag dump in to the berm. 1 round fired and ejected, second round fired, stuck case now.

We are going to meet up tomorrow and get it worked out. I am more concerned than he is. I will get the spent casing. I have almost 1K of this stuff. If the round in chamber is split, all the ammo is going back.

So no fault of Radical that I see yet, unless the barrel is wrong or the LGS sold me the wrong one.
      View Quote

I'd be cleaning/lubing it, checking the firing pin and any possible obstructions in the barrel.  Test fit a round in muzzle just to eyeball the barrel diameter and try again with different ammo.  Fails again and straight to Radical that upper would go.
      Link Posted: 12/25/2014 1:35:13 PM EDT
      [#46]
      Just got back form a range trip christmas morning with my 8.5 inch 300AAC.
      It ran great and it is more accurate than i am.

I did notice some brass and copper specks in the receiver so im thinking the feed ramps have a sharp edge on it that i need to polish up.
      I had one failure to feed and it was my fault with reload's i over crimped, i knew the rounds were over crimped i just have a bunch to shoot up and don't want to toss them out.

I really like this little gun.
      Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
      AR Sponsor: bravocompany
      Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
      Top Top