Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/27/2014 1:10:04 AM EDT
Hello everyone! I came here for some guidance as I will be building my first AR platform rifle this winter season!

To begin.. I currently own an AR15 chambered in .223/5.56 but I have never taken the incentive to build a rifle until now (Almost this exact rifle:http://www.nrapublications.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/W7311_SI_GunLocker_SWMP15_49981.jpg)

The AR Pistol that I plan to build will be in 300 Blackout and I eventually plan to get a suppressor for the rifle as a hearing safe range toy, but in the mean time I will be running it as is for shooting up to 100 yards.

Looking for constructive criticism on all parts that I will be getting.

LPK + Arm Brace: $200
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-moe-pistol-lower-build-kit-with-sig-sauer-sb15-pistol-stabilizing-brace-black.html

“Blemished Lower”: $50
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/10446/category/4282/

10.5” Upper W/ bcg/charging handle: $490
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=455242291#PIC

OR

10.5" Upper W/ bcg/charging handle: $470   -not sure if a suppressor would fit with this free floating system though
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=455160478#PIC

OR

I was looking at a few 8.5" uppers but not sure if that will sacrifice some accuracy at ~100 yards

Roll Pin Punches (I currently don't have any and I believe they'll make the lower assembly easier): $33
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/punches/roll-pin-punches-prod38883.aspx

SO I am looking at about $285+s/h + $25-35 transfer fee for the lower to be set up (with tools)
and around $470-$500 for the BCG, Charging Handle, and Upper/Barrel/ Free Floating rails.

Thoughts on parts or anything at this time?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:27:40 AM EDT
[#1]

This is an 8.5" Radical Arms upper on a Spike's Pirate Lower. I was pleasantly suppressed when I took it to the range , it was just as accurate as the 16" 300 BLK that I had.

http://www.radicalfirearms.com/product-p/rfupperv1.0.75-300.htm

$279.95
https://www.primaryarms.com/Radical_Firearms_8_5_300BLK_Quad_Rail_Upper_Rece_p/rfupperv1.0.75-300.htm

Or the complete Radical Pistol for $599.95
http://www.radicalfirearms.com/product-p/rf8.5pistol300fde.htm
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you sure you can go pistol on that lower?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I am, it was purchased as a complete pistol lower and not a rifle. Even it were stripped it would be legal as long as it's first configuration was as a pistol.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I am, it was purchased as a complete pistol lower and not a rifle. Even it were stripped it would be legal as long as it's first configuration was as a pistol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually meant my comment for the OP
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:08:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. As long as the lower is made into a pistol as its first configuration. The .300 aac blackout upper fits in the standard ar15 lower.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:48:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes. As long as the lower is made into a pistol as its first configuration. The .300 aac blackout upper fits in the standard ar15 lower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It MAY be a State thing, me being in CA, but my understanding of it is different....as in the manufacturer may have shipped it to your FFL as a long gun lower, and no matter that it hasn't been configured yet, it's already been recorded as a long gun.  YMMV, and I hope someone will be along to tell me I'm wrong or that this doesn't apply to your state of NH.

ETA:  I've always been told that the only way to know for sure is to either buy it as a complete pistol from the maker, or buy an 80% lower.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It MAY be a State thing, me being in CA, but my understanding of it is different....as in the manufacturer may have shipped it to your FFL as a long gun lower, and no matter that it hasn't been configured yet, it's already been recorded as a long gun.  YMMV, and I hope someone will be along to tell me I'm wrong or that this doesn't apply to your state of NH.

ETA:  I've always been told that the only way to know for sure is to either buy it as a complete pistol from the maker, or buy an 80% lower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Federally, you are wrong.  All stripped receivers are transferred through an FFL as an "other" on the 4473 and can be built in either configuration, rifle or pistol.

I don't know the ins and outs of CA laws, so you may be right in your thinking in your state, but obviously CA is the exception and not the rule in most cases with regard to firearms law, unfortunately.  

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:05:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
////
It MAY be a State thing, me being in CA, but my understanding of it is different....as in the manufacturer may have shipped it to your FFL as a long gun lower, and no matter that it hasn't been configured yet, it's already been recorded as a long gun.  YMMV, and I hope someone will be along to tell me I'm wrong or that this doesn't apply to your state of NH..
View Quote

Unpossible, even in Kali.

Manufacturer/distributor records will indicate what configuration the firearm was in. A manufacturer would have to lie about what he passed along to a distributor, OEM, or end FFL for transfer to an individual to claim a receiver was in full firearm configuration as either a rifle or pistol.   Also, there is federal excise tax assessed for complete firearms, and necessary records for them, so there's zero incentive to claim that a receiver was a rifle.

Federal law for the 4473 is the same in all states, even Kali. An FFL in Kali is to mark a lower the same as in any other state. Ultimately, though, what an FFL puts on a 4473, either correctly or incorrectly,  does not determine the actual legal configuration of a firearm, nor the legality of future configuration of it. And if a check is run, the final transferring FFL is the last place that would be found anyway.

In short, a manufacturer cannot ship a lower as a "long gun lower" or a "pistol lower (regardless of whatever might be inscribed on it either).  Any of that crap happens after the federally required transfer with various state registrations.

- OS
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:31:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Manufacturer/distributor records will indicate what configuration the firearm was in. A manufacturer would have to lie about what he passed along to a distributor, OEM, or end FFL for transfer to an individual to claim a receiver was in full firearm configuration as either a rifle or pistol.   Also, there is federal excise tax assessed for complete firearms, and necessary records for them, so there's zero incentive to claim that a receiver was a rifle.

Federal law for the 4473 is the same in all states, even Kali. An FFL in Kali is to mark a lower the same as in any other state. Ultimately, though, what an FFL puts on a 4473, either correctly or incorrectly,  does not determine the actual legal configuration of a firearm, nor the legality of future configuration of it. And if a check is run, the final transferring FFL is the last place that would be found anyway.

In short, a manufacturer cannot ship a lower as a "long gun lower" or a "pistol lower (regardless of whatever might be inscribed on it either).  Any of that crap happens after the federally required transfer with various state registrations.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
////
It MAY be a State thing, me being in CA, but my understanding of it is different....as in the manufacturer may have shipped it to your FFL as a long gun lower, and no matter that it hasn't been configured yet, it's already been recorded as a long gun.  YMMV, and I hope someone will be along to tell me I'm wrong or that this doesn't apply to your state of NH..

- OS

Glad I'm wrong (for OP's sake)

ETA:  Here's where my misunderstanding comes from (it IS a CA DOJ thing)
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=887242&highlight=AR+pistol+law

It is illegal in California to build an AR15 Pistol from a "new" and “stripped” Lower Receiver (LR) purchased at an FFL dealer. When you legally buy a “new and stripped” Lower Receiver from a dealer store, you cannot use it to build a pistol.

· It's illegal to build a Pistol around a “used” LR that is registered as a Rifle (most LR’s are registered as Rifles). You cannot convert what is registered as a Rifle into a Pistol.

· In California, the only LR you can use to build/configure an AR Pistol is (1) from an LR you manufactured yourself, usually beginning with an 80% LR -OR- (2) from a used LR that has been previously registered as a pistol –OR- (3) from a new LR sold and/or transferred to you through an FFL as a fully assembled and COMPLETE SINGLE SHOT PISTOL

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:02:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Yup. A lower receiver is shipped as "other" and does not have to be designated as use for pistol or rifle.

So would this be a good setup or do people recommend 8.5" barrels?
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top