Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2014 11:58:22 PM EDT
So I think I would like one of these. Is there any reason this is not a legal pistol if the receiver is new and not designated yet? The barrel below is 12". Faxon said they plan on a 9mm version of their upper as well. Don't know what length barrels they would make for the 9mm but probably shorter than 12". Might wait for that.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:29:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I am no lawyer but I think that you should be good to go if the receiver is new and has not been transferred from your FFL classified as a rifle.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:50:25 AM EDT
[#2]
So the manufacturer appears to be selling that as a pistol, right? It looks like a pistol.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:32:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So the manufacturer appears to be selling that as a pistol, right? It looks like a pistol.
View Quote

While it is on their site they make no mention of it at all. They sell a 12" upper which is nothing without the lower. They don't sell pistols or short barrel rifles.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:17:28 AM EDT
[#4]
If the lower receiver has NEVER been assembled into a rifle, you can make it into a pistol and register it (if required in your state).

If it has been made into a rifle previously, you are technically "manufacturing a weapon" and you will need to pay a $200 tax in pursuant to NFA standards.

If it IS originally a pistol and it was registered as such (if required by law, otherwise supported by affidavit if ever confronted), then you can switch it between rifle and pistol at will.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:06:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Does that thing use a standard AR15 lower?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:12:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does that thing use a standard AR15 lower?
View Quote

And, it does not need a buffer tube?    

Looks like a great setup, though.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:33:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Does that thing use a standard AR15 lower?

Yes, it uses a standard AR-15 lower, and no, it does not need a buffer tube.  It's a proprietary piston upper.  Nice, pricy, heavy, & takes their bbls - not standard AR bbls.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, it uses a standard AR-15 lower, and no, it does not need a buffer tube. It's a proprietary piston upper.  Nice, pricy, heavy, & takes their bbls - not standard AR bbls.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Does that thing use a standard AR15 lower?

Yes, it uses a standard AR-15 lower, and no, it does not need a buffer tube. It's a proprietary piston upper.  Nice, pricy, heavy, & takes their bbls - not standard AR bbls.

And for those reasons I'd venture to take a pass.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:20:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I have one I built as a bullpup and I like it. The only change I'd like is if it were lighter. But a lot of the weight is the barrel and since there is no stress from having a buffer tube you can easily use a composite AR lower which probably brings the weight right into normal AR zone. I'd much rather have a 223 or 9mm built pistol without an "arm brace" and if I need an "arm brace" I'll take a bullpup same over all length but a full 16" barrel and a much more balanced weapon.

I do appreciate the confirmation you guys gave me. I thought it was a pistol  but maybe I was missing something. I won't be building one tomorrow but it is on my list.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:11:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I do appreciate the confirmation you guys gave me. I thought it was a pistol  but maybe I was missing something.....
View Quote

The picture in your first post is a pistol. Is there still some question about something?

- OS
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top