Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2014 5:23:52 PM EDT
I'm thinking about building my first AR pistol and am considering making it a 7.5" micro. Can anyone that has used the budget Green Mountain 7.5" barrel comment on how it worked out?  Is the gas port correct?  Pics are welcome, too - I could use inspiration.

Thanks!

(Edit - pic of build at top of page 2)
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't comment on that particular barrel but I've got several Green Mountain barrels and their excellent.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:52:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, hell - it's only money.  $99 for a chrome lined barrel from a decent manufacturer, I'm in.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m23-5-56mm-7-5-barrel-with-ext/#

I want to keep this build inexpensive, I'll be doing a lot of EE and sale deal shopping.  I'm thinking it will be:

* GM 7.5" chrome lined barrel (have)
* KAK Flash Can (have)
* Anderson integral triggerguard lower and A3 upper (have)
* BCM Mod 5 CH (have)
* AIM BCG (have)
* Thordsen RE, cover and CAA saddle kit (have) Ended up with a RRA RE and IWC QD end plate
* ALG EMR Keymod 8" (have)
* Magpul K2 PG (have)
* HK diopter sights from RTG (have)
* Possibly a cheap Primary Arms Micro RDS Skipping a RDS for now

Fun stuff!

Edit - updated with final build list
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm thinking I'd like an adjustable gas block on this to allow tuning.  Are there any very low profile adjustable setscrew attached (not pinned) GBs out there?

Figured it out.  The lower is on order now, too.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm looking for rail and flash can ideas.

I'd like to use a conical cavity flash can like the MAS Defense normal or slim model, and I'm thinking about partially burying it in a rail.  Not a quad, but something like an ALG EMR or the MI Gen2-SS I mentioned above.  I'd prefer it to be M-LOK.  I also don't want the can to be fully buried, I'd like it to protrude an inch or so - I'll be running a handstop but would still like some space between the ball 'o flame and my fingers.

ALG just confirmed that 8" EMRs aren't in the works, so my first choice is dead.  10" is too long for what I have in mind, 8" would be ideal or just possibly a 9".

Any suggestions?  I'm getting ideas from the pic thread, but it's like trying to drink out of a firehose - plus many people don't post build lists.

(ETA) Maybe a 9" Troy Alpha?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Here - user postban's 10.5" build is almost exactly what I have in mind, but with a 7.5" barrel.  Here is his pic from the big pic thread, I hope he doesn't mind:

He's using a 12" EMR with a 10.5" barrel and a KAK flash can.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The UTG Pro super slim comes in a 9" version: https://www.primaryarms.com/UTG_Pro_4_15_Super_Slim_Free_Float_Rail_Mid_Leng_p/mtu004ss.htm

You'll probably need the slimmer version of the KAK flash can to fit underneath it.

I have the 7" version on my .22 pistol:

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I know that UTG rail is made in the USA, but something about using it makes my toes curl, and not in a good way.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, hell - it's only money.  $99 for a chrome lined barrel from a decent manufacturer, I'm in.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m23-5-56mm-7-5-barrel-with-ext/#

I want to keep this build inexpensive, I'll be doing a lot of EE and sale deal shopping.  I'm thinking it will be:

* GM 7.5" chrome lined barrel with a MAS Defense Flash Can
* Inexpensive lower, flattop upper and BCG
* Thordsen RE, cover and CAA saddle kit
* 7" MI Gen2-SS HG unless I find a deal on something similar
* Magpul K2 PG
* Centurion diopter sights, if I can find another set
* Possibly a cheap Primary Arms Micro RDS

Fun stuff!
View Quote

soo basically this.... but with thordsen instead of sig brace

eta check out the kinitech muzzle device you get a flash hider or brake with a cover sits basically a get both scenario. It works awesome.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#9]
double tap

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#10]
i bought the gm 7.5 from classis $80. haven done anything with it yet but it seems like a nice barrel.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I know that UTG rail is made in the USA, but something about using it makes my toes curl, and not in a good way.
View Quote

i agree.  i took the bait this weekend though.  i just needed a rail to finish my latest AR build.  was going for a troy 12-13 inch, but they were waayyyyyyy overpriced.  i stumbled across a 13 inch utg pro and said the hell with it and bought it.  got it for $106.  it blew me away, i really like it.  very tight fit, sturdy, and a breeze to mount.  we'll see how it holds up.  so far, i'd def recommend one.

i was planning to spend around $200 on a troy, but i used that extra money to buy a 10.5" stainless barrel for a pistol build (maybe an SBR if i decide to buy the stamp)
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
soo basically this.... but with thordsen instead of sig brace
View Quote

Yep - pretty much!
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I use an M.I. 9" Gen ll SS with a Noveske Pig. The Pig sticks out about 1.5"
However, using a slim rail in a KeyMod you would need the Noveske KX5 or if just wanting a slim flash can, the KAK fits well.

I will say this about the KAK. I have one mounted on a Taccom Ultra Light barrel and it strings shots. Taccom had the same results with .22 and 300 BLK.
We don't really have a reason for it.

Dave N
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:07:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a GM barrel waiting to be built into something, so I can't speak for it's performance. But I do have a Mas Defense 7.5 barrel under an MI Slim rail with the KAK slim can.  Looks very similart to Castiel's pic above.  Oh, and the KAK slim can on a 7.5 barrel is a blast!

Also, don't fear the UTG Pro stuff.  I have 2, happy if not happier with them over Troy and MI if only because they are just as solid if not more, but also cheaper.  I will be buying more UTG Pro handguards.

ETA, found a pic. She's sporting an AGG2 on that short rail section that I didn't have when these pics were taken

From the business end
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:17:38 AM EDT
[#15]
ive got the GM 7.5 on mine and so far i like it, got prolly 10rds through it and no malfunctions yet.

i swapped the kaw valley out for the twisted port kinetitech  but havent shot it yet with it

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
However, using a slim rail in a KeyMod you would need the Noveske KX5 or if just wanting a slim flash can, the KAK fits well.

I will say this about the KAK. I have one mounted on a Taccom Ultra Light barrel and it strings shots. Taccom had the same results with .22 and 300 BLK.

Dave N
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Dave N

The KAK cavity is square bottomed, right?  That's one of the reasons I'm leaning MAS Defense, or even possibly a Noveske.

Quoted:
ive got the GM 7.5 on mine and so far i like it, got prolly 10rds through it and no malfunctions yet.

I assume you meant about 100 rounds?  That Kineti-tech brake and shield looks interesting - I'll have to read up on them.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
i bought the gm 7.5 from classis $80. haven done anything with it yet but it seems like a nice barrel.
View Quote

Classic Arms? How do you know those are Green Mountain? I'm almost certain those are Bear Creek Arsenal. Classic started selling a lot of BCA parts and on BCAs web site it shows barrel just like classic is selling.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#18]
ya sorry 100 busy day at work everyones freaking out bringing there cars in for recalls before thanksgiving travle lol
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I run a KAK slimline flashcan under a UTG super slim in 9" and an 8" 300 blk barrel.

I got the flash can from joeboboutfitters for 29.99. Looks the same as the one at MAS but cheaper.

My 2 cents

JBL
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:28:24 AM EDT
[#20]
OK, the rail is done - I grabbed one of the ALG Keymod 8"ers that is on special. Now to confirm if a KX-3 or a MAS Defense device fits - the hardware for the front sight rail might force me into a KX-5 sized device.

I gotta slow down a little - too much money going out this week!
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Hi, everyone.  I have had an AR for quite a while, but really just got into the builds.  I only recently learned about the Sig Brace, and decided that I must build a pistol, which never interested me before.  So, I have my receiver set, my brace, and I ordered my 7.5 Green Mountain barrel yesterday.  I was back and forth on the 1/7, but I checked Sig's site, and they are using a 1/7 on theirs, so I figured it should be good to go.  Anyhow, my intent is to use a QMS trigger, the gen 2 Kak tube, and probably the 9" UTG Pro Super Slim with a Kak slim flash can.  Any better ideas?  I did see a pretty nice thin freefloat handguard on ebay that was supposed to be US made, and a great price, but I have seen the UTG in person, and have heard that the mounting is solid, while I really don't know about the other.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Hi, Jimmie - the 8" ALG handguard on sale this weekend at Geisselle is a hard deal to beat, only $100 shipped including the front sight rail.

Edit - spelling
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks, Heavyduty, I will go give it a look!
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Gratuitous pic of the 11.5" build:

Now that it's done I'm focusing on the 7.5". I'm starting to think a PDW vibe could be fun but as a pistol with the LAW hinge instead of an SBR with a buttstock. I know I said no folder before, but...
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#25]
The rail and sights arrived yesterday so I was able to to a finger tight dry run of the 7.5" upper.  Here it is on my 11.5" pistol's lower:

I have another Anderson integrated TG lower that I'll be dedicating to the 7.5", it will have a RRA pistol RE that just arrived yesterday and an Exile RE cover.  I'd like to keep the door open to adding a LAW folder kit to the 7.5" for a PDW-like build.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Done!

I do have a foam RE cover on hand but want to see how I like it bare first.  I'm not going to be shouldering it, I've found I do just fine with cheekweld and sling tension.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I finally got it to the range today for sighting in.  I put about 125 rounds through it with zero malfs, accuracy was better than I can shoot irons in low light (indoor range.)  I popped in a BCM extractor spring, insert and donut before I went and ran an H2 buffer.  I can't say where it was ejecting because I was shooting alone in a booth.

I also learned you shouldn't shoot NTCH when you aren't using a stock.  
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top