Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2014 11:04:35 AM EDT
I jumped on the sig sale a couple months ago and bought the complete kit direct.

I regret not buying the KAK tube to extend the lop.

Can I extend the lop without spending another chuck on the KAK?

Is there an endplate/nut combo that will hold the rear takedown spring so I don't have to collapse the brace all the way to the receiver?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not intimately familiar with the kit but I would assume that any endplate & castle nut should work.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#2]
LOP is a reference to stocks, and I wouldn't use it to describe the sig brace - as the brace is designed to function as a brace, not a stock.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LOP is a reference to stocks, and I wouldn't use it to describe the sig brace - as the brace is designed to function as a brace, not a stock.
http://www.shootingsportsretailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/sigbraceusage.jpg

View Quote

Long arms man...long arms.
Extending the LOP - Length of Push.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://www.shootingsportsretailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/sigbraceusage.jpg

View Quote

Arm Length Positioning?  What is the term for the distance from the charging handle to the end of the brace?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lot's of people have long arms.  I like the Sigtac buffer tube for ~35 on Ebay.  They also help you get over the 26" mark if you want to use a vertical front grip.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:49:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I jumped on the sig sale a couple months ago and bought the complete kit direct.

Is there an endplate/nut combo that will hold the rear takedown spring so I don't have to collapse the brace all the way to the receiver?

Thanks.

View Quote

OP, send me a private message. I have a gen 1 KAK tube (no castle nut) that is just sitting around. I will send it to you so you can try it out. It will give you extended LOP that you are looking for. I had it on my pistol before the gen 2 came out and liked it a lot. Adds that extra bit of LOP that most need with the Sig Brace.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:39:29 PM EDT
[#7]
You can use any end plate and castle nut. I definitely recommend using a castle nut. The phase 5 gives you 9.5 lop, (yes I used lop, you guys know what we mean). Kak, is probably the same or very close. I'm a long armed Neanderthal too, mine is perfect. Phase 5 hex 2c. I'm going to try kak on my next one though. I also suggest an end plate with a sling attachment option.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Pvc pipe. Black spray paint. Try it out, decide if it's worth investing in the kak and extension kit.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Is there an endplate/nut combo that will hold the rear takedown spring so I don't have to collapse the brace all the way to the receiver?    (use a 4/40 tap and set screw to hold in the takedown pin and spring.)

Thanks.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there an endplate/nut combo that will hold the rear takedown spring so I don't have to collapse the brace all the way to the receiver?    (use a 4/40 tap and set screw to hold in the takedown pin and spring.)

Thanks.

4/40 tap and set screw will retain the pin and spring.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Or just use KNS take down pin and do away with spring and detente entirely:

- OS
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks all.

Interesting alternatives here. Wasn't aware of the KNS or that a tap screw would work. PVC isn't a bad solution either.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Spend the $40 and get the 1st gen KAK tube.
I tried to go homemade solution myself, but KAK tube just makes it so easy and looks clean.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:33:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

#4-40 set screw and you dont need a back plate at all.

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=395777

http://txbrassworks.com/product/ar15-rear-takedown-springdetent-modification/

Takes 10min, done to all my AR's
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#15]
KAK says their spacers only work on their tubes, or something like that. I waited until I found spacers in the EE for cheap. They work in my non-KAK tube.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#16]
wrap paracord around the exposed part of the tube out to where you want the brace to be.  The paracord insulates your face against the metal tube, but also prevents the brace from sliding forward more than where you want it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:22:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Rumor on the web today is that there’s trouble in SBR paradise. Shouldering the arm brace (most notably the SIG-Tac SB15–the single most significant firearms invention of the young decade) may soon make that legal AR pistol an illegal short barreled rifle .

The braces on the market now are designed as arm braces, but they’re used as improvised shoulder stocks. This makes the gun much more safe, much easier to control, much more effective, and much more realistic. But it means you don’t have to register what is functionally a short barreled rifle. And that’s the rub. Uncle Sam wants you to tell him about your SBR (the registration process), and pay him a token of gratitude ($200 for a tax stamp) for allowing you to own something you should damn-well be able to legally own, regardless.

But now, a new opinion from the ATF

Yesterday, news spread about a letter to Eric Lemoine, owner of Black Aces Tactical–a company who had designed a shotgun that used the arm brace concept. They asked the ATF to rule on the matter. And this is what Acting Chief of the BATF’s Firearms Technology Branch Max Kingery wrote in reply: “The submitted weapon, as described and depicted above … is not a ‘firearm’ as defined by the NFA provided the SigTac SB15 pistol stabilizing brace is used as originally designed and not used as a shoulder stock. [...] However, should an individual utilize the SigTac SB15 pistol stabilizing brace on the submitted sample as a shoulder stock to fire the weapon from the shoulder, this firearm would then be classified as a ‘short-barreled shotgun.’ ”

If shouldering the brace on a short shotgun suddenly makes it an NFA regulated short barreled shotgun, then it stands to reason that shouldering the brace on an AR pistol might now be construed in the same way.

So–we wait. For now, anyhow, we are all still legal shouldering our pistols. But will it last?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:33:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Rumor on the web today is that there’s trouble in SBR paradise. Shouldering the arm brace (most notably the SIG-Tac SB15–the single most significant firearms invention of the young decade) may soon make that legal AR pistol an illegal short barreled rifle .

The braces on the market now are designed as arm braces, but they’re used as improvised shoulder stocks. This makes the gun much more safe, much easier to control, much more effective, and much more realistic. But it means you don’t have to register what is functionally a short barreled rifle. And that’s the rub. Uncle Sam wants you to tell him about your SBR (the registration process), and pay him a token of gratitude ($200 for a tax stamp) for allowing you to own something you should damn-well be able to legally own, regardless.

But now, a new opinion from the ATF

Yesterday, news spread about a letter to Eric Lemoine, owner of Black Aces Tactical–a company who had designed a shotgun that used the arm brace concept. They asked the ATF to rule on the matter. And this is what Acting Chief of the BATF’s Firearms Technology Branch Max Kingery wrote in reply: “The submitted weapon, as described and depicted above … is not a ‘firearm’ as defined by the NFA provided the SigTac SB15 pistol stabilizing brace is used as originally designed and not used as a shoulder stock. [...] However, should an individual utilize the SigTac SB15 pistol stabilizing brace on the submitted sample as a shoulder stock to fire the weapon from the shoulder, this firearm would then be classified as a ‘short-barreled shotgun.’ ”

If shouldering the brace on a short shotgun suddenly makes it an NFA regulated short barreled shotgun, then it stands to reason that shouldering the brace on an AR pistol might now be construed in the same way.

So–we wait. For now, anyhow, we are all still legal shouldering our pistols. But will it last?
View Quote

That has to do with shotguns - because there is no such thing as a shotgun-pistol. The AR pistol with Sig brace is not at risk. ATF has already ruled that it's perfectly fine to shoulder the brace because the INTENT of the brace and weapon are to be used as a pistol.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:56:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Rumor on the web.....

View Quote
Please stay on topic. This subject could be brought up in every thread in this forum and it's already been brought up in another thread. Nuff said.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I need a sling point anyway, so I ordered a sling friendly end plate and castle nut.

A member here was also kind enough to ship me a 1st gen KAK tube. I haven't received it yet, but I think I'm GTG.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:16:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I need a sling point anyway, so I ordered a sling friendly end plate and castle nut.

A member here was also kind enough to ship me a 1st gen KAK tube. I haven't received it yet, but I think I'm GTG.
View Quote

1st gen KAK tube does not use castle nut, it screws on until flush against the end plate.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

1st gen KAK tube does not use castle nut, it screws on until flush against the end plate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And will not work with some of the thicker than mil-spec end plates.

- OS
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Odin Works makes a collar that can be used to lock a brace in a specific place on the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#25]
You can make a pvc spacer, and you can also just use rtv adhesive.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:18:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You can make a pvc spacer, and you can also just use rtv adhesive.
View Quote

Worked on my first one just fine. Barbecue black rattle can matched the upper pretty well.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

well, just found out the hard way.
Got IWC QD end plate but it's a bit thicker, and won't allow the buffer tube to keep the buffer detent down.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top