Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2014 4:25:05 PM EDT
Hi all, new to the forum. I've been saving up for a while and I've finally gotten to the point where I'm ready to purchase my first AR platform. I've decided on picking up Sig Sauer's P516 7.5" barreled pistol. It'll be my first AR platform firearm, but not my first experience with ARs - my brother has his own AR carbine that I've shot many times and I love the gun. I've decided that the P516 is the best platform for me, and I'm ready to begin the acquisition process. Before I put my money down though, I wanted to sign up here and just make sure it's a good choice - I want to make sure there aren't any first-hand horror stories of this specific pistol being a heaping pile of garbage. If the responses I get are all mostly positive, I'll be moving forward with the purchase.

Any and all constructive thoughts/comments are welcomed, however please note - I'm not looking for advice such as "It'd be better to just build your own," or "a better caliber would be..." I've generally made up my mind on the P516. Unless there is reliable evidence that it's an absolute waste of money, it's the platform that I'd like to get.

With that in mind, any and all input is greatly appreciated, and I'm very much looking forward to being a part of the community here on the forums! Thank you in advance!
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:20:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I own many Sig's, the 516 not being one of them.  That being said they make an awesome product and I have heard nothing but great feedback on that particular pistol.

Enjoy they are an absolute blast!
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#2]
No personal experience, but I've heard nothing bad about the 516 myself.  The only cautionary note I'll throw out is that you're fairly likely to want to make changes once you start using the platform - so starting with a higher-dollar gun may make you less inclined to tune for what you really want, etc.  I personally chose a factory piston upper (Adams 7.5") and went to town on the lower parts - trigger, ambi bolt release and mag release, etc.  

Honestly though, IMO, the worst you'll ever say about the SIG (even if you mod it) is likely to be "Well, I maybe spent a little more than I had to..." and if that's the case, then you'll be happy!

Enjoy!

Richard
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Greetings:

Welcome to the forum.

I have a P516 7.5 inch. I have been very happy, I think Sig makes a nice product. It has run like a top. I did and have considered the 10 inch version for additional velocity, however I wanted something that was backpack small (Once my Law Tactical Gen 3 side folder arrives). I do have quite a few other 14.5 and 16 inch AR's, but I do see a 10 inch in my future possible a Daniel Defense, BCM or even a PAP M85. I've also thought of a 300 Blackout build, but honestly don't want to invest and hoard another caliber.

The 40 round mag is there just because. I prefer the 30's, typically Lancers.

I like the TAP 223 Remington Ammo 55 Grain Urban Hornady V-Max for the short barrel for defensive purposes.

As far as upgrades, Magpul Aluminum Trigger Guard, Larue branded Troy locking sights (factory Sig Sights did not lock), Magpul MS2 Sling and Mount, BCM Mod 4 charging handle, Haley Strategic Mount with Surefire M952V.  Once the Gen 3 side folder arrives, I may switch out the SB15 for the SBX and will probably upgrade the Trigger and add a Red Dot.

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No personal experience, but I've heard nothing bad about the 516 myself.  The only cautionary note I'll throw out is that you're fairly likely to want to make changes once you start using the platform - so starting with a higher-dollar gun may make you less inclined to tune for what you really want, etc.  I personally chose a factory piston upper (Adams 7.5") and went to town on the lower parts - trigger, ambi bolt release and mag release, etc.  

Honestly though, IMO, the worst you'll ever say about the SIG (even if you mod it) is likely to be "Well, I maybe spent a little more than I had to..." and if that's the case, then you'll be happy!

Enjoy!

Richard
View Quote

I concur with this, but will also add the Sig may have higher resale value if you ever want or need to part with it over something that is pieced together.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Great, thanks for all the input! Keep it coming please, anyone who has any relevant comments is welcome!
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I concur with this, but will also add the Sig may have higher resale value if you ever want or need to part with it over something that is pieced together.
View Quote

This is actually an excellent point - I personally happen to fail at the whole "sell some" idea , but the perceived value of any frankengun is generally darn near zero. So if you're one of those who buys and sells, then yes, a factory gun is likely a better starting point *BUT* realize that any upgrades are similarly valued ($0) in perception.  

I've mentioned before that Adams is clearing out their previous style piston uppers, so the 7.5" Tactical Elite upper can be had for <$800 BNIB direct, and maybe even cheaper elsewhere.  Not sure what street price on the 516 is, so frankengun may or may not be cheaper anyway

Richard
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Average price I've seen them go for is ~$1500 on the lower end brand new, that's within my price range. Since it'll be my first AR platform, I'd prefer to purchase a fully assembled by one manufacturer piece, familiarize myself with the platform with the ready-to-shoot gun, and then possibly build my own after some time. I don't foresee selling the Sig at any point in the future once I acquire it though - this gun will have a practical place in my collection for a long time to come.

In other good news, turns out some reps from Sig are at my local gun range tomorrow, doing product demos/tests/informational discussions, and I've heard from the range staff that they have a P516 on-hand that they're letting people shoot. So I'll be able to give it a test tomorrow, and if I like how it performs, I'll put my money down to order one. Getting pretty excited now!
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 5:31:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, just got back from the range - I'm sold! I'm on the notification list at the club for when they get the 516 in stock. I can't wait to get one of my own in my hands!
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:56:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, just got back from the range - I'm sold! I'm on the notification list at the club for when they get the 516 in stock. I can't wait to get one of my own in my hands!
View Quote

You may do better on gun broker. I got a decent deal on mine.

I am now looking at a 10 inch, trying to decided between DD, P516 10 Inch, PM400 11 Inch.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:40:01 AM EDT
[#10]
After that you need a 716P, trust me!!!

Doc
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 1:30:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I think the 516 is a fine choice. Just out of curiosity did you ever look at the DD MK18 AR Pistol or Spikes Tactical AR Pistol ?

https://www.primaryarms.com/Spike_s_Tactical_ST_15_LE_Pistol_w_7_SAR_Rail_p/stp5181-s7s.htm

https://www.primaryarms.com/Daniel_Defense_M4_Carbine_MK18_Pistol_10_3_CHF_p/02-088-01202.htm

Prior to getting my Spikes, I looked at and wanted the Sig, but for the price the ST was really nice. If I could have afforded the DD I would have just got that.

It's good that you exhaust all options prior to deciding, that's what I did, and I changed up last second. Either way you can't go wrong.

Good luck

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 1:43:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am now looking at a 10 inch, trying to decided between DD, P516 10 Inch, PM400 11 Inch.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go with DD MK18

Haven't watched but found this

http://youtu.be/V8KJMmc8IxQ
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:26:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I was on the verge of buying the 716.  Great looking gun..  Nice feel..  Great reviews...   But I couldn't pull the trigger - as it were.

I bought a direct impingement rifle instead of the piston driven Sig model.  There are a lot of parts with the piston driven rifles...    availability of parts is proprietary.  So unless you can scavenge parts from another 516 or 716, you're out of luck.   Just my experience.  Good luck with yours.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#14]
What is your main purpose of the Sig, range toy or any other planned activities?  At that price point it's a pricey range toy for sure and not a fan of the quad rail, lower is pretty nice though.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
After that you need a 716P, trust me!!!
View Quote

How's the recoil feel if shouldered?  I wondered about 7.62 with a brace - given that my other 7.62s wear limbsavers or the like....  Maybe I'm a wuss, but I'd have to try-before-I-buy on that one for sure!!!!

Richard
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What is your main purpose of the Sig, range toy or any other planned activities?  At that price point it's a pricey range toy for sure and not a fan of the quad rail, lower is pretty nice though.
View Quote

The pistol will be my main HD gun for now. It'll also accompany me on hikes, camping trips, and as my designated car gun for roadtrips - I travel a lot (roughly 20k driving miles per year, about half of which are roadtrip miles).

I want to build the gun in more or less the style of a civilian PDW. The most compact package possible for maneuverability in a building or in the car, easy to transport, quick deployment and engagement and rapid target acquisition in close-quarters scenarios. I also wanted to avoid getting a true SBR, as it would be an incredibly mind-numbing hassle to then travel with it considering the legal restrictions on SBRs and rifles in vehicles anyway. Having an AR platform that is legally no different than a pistol, and the arm brace which I can shoulder if I want to, is a great compromise for me.

But yes it'll also be fun to just take to the range and let loose! When I went and tested it yesterday I fired it with the arm brace attached to my arm as it's intended to be used, and with my first few mags I was more accurate with it at 75 feet than I have been with other traditional pistols and revolvers at 25 feet. I love the flexibility of the platform, the big firepower in such a small package, and the overall psychological effect I'm sure it would have in a gun battle.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:46:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Rudukai,
I've had my 516 for 7 months now. You won't be disappointed in the quality of components and reliability. I've tried several brands of ammo with no issues. A previous post mentioned factory sights won't lock. Mine came with Samson sights which are my favorite because they have proven to be very durable.

I like it so much I'm thinking of getting the 10.5 in.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Flexed my index finger and clicked the "buy it now" button on a Gunbroker auction for a 7.5" P516! Just gotta get it shipped to my FFL now and it'll be in my hands! So incredibly excited, and thank you everyone for the great feedback!
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top