Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/31/2014 2:48:12 PM EDT
Im almost done building my first ar pistol and am wondering if anyone has used anything besides the sig brace. I have seen the thorsden buffer covers out there but want something with more support if i want to shoulder the pistol.

Does anybody know of any other products comparable to the sig brace, but not as expensive?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:19:36 PM EDT
[#1]
sry to say, but the sig brace is normally the only one of its kind at the moment, i will add though, there are specific buffer tubes available to acoomodate where ever you need the brace, and it is very comfortable, tried it at a gun show recently
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:02:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Besides the SB-15? Sure, the SBX!

- OS
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Didn't think so, but worth a shot. I'm still waiting for someone to make something as good for cheaper!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Thordsen Buffer cover with a CAA cheek riser is a nice combo. Shoulders great and is very sturdy. I know you mentioned it earlier but wanted to tell you my experience with it. I have the sig brace as well and it is kind of bulky. With a Law folder it would be awesome.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Hopefully the Shockwave Technologies blade stabilizer will get ATF approval soon. If so, it'll be lighter, less expensive, and more comfortable than the Sig brace.

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?p=1805
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hopefully the Shockwave Technologies blade stabilizer will get ATF approval soon. If so, it'll be lighter, less expensive, and more comfortable than the Sig brace.
View Quote

You think that narrow blade against shoulder looks comfy, huh?

- OS
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?p=1805
View Quote

How do you know it will be more comfortable than the SB15? Last i heard approval had been bogged down. I see on that link they are expecting it by the end of November so that will be good if it happens. Seem to remember there was a thread about these a while back that descended into chaos pretty quickly. Either way always nice to have competition in the market.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#8]
The whole point of the SIG brace getting BATF approval is understanding what they don't approve. They apparently don't like large flat surface areas to spread the load over the shoulder, which is exactly what a buttstock is supposed to do.

Circumventing that is difficult. The SIG brace didn't, tho. It's not made at all to get around having a large flat surface. It has very little, it's mostly a void for the forearm to fit into.

So, if the two thin leaves of the forearm are "more comfortable," then why isn't the Blade? Because fanboys have vested interests in playing the game of "I have one and you don't." Something happening very much with a few SBR owners, who suggest that the flat surface on a carbine stock creates a "vast" improvement in handling, comfort, and accuracy.

Or so their $200 stamp says.

There is a different camp who's basic motto is :"We don't need no stinking stocks" who just add s buffer cover and move on. Instead of making a get around faux SBR they enjoy being a PISTOL owner. The 5.56 doesn't have that much recoil anyway. We aren't talking .300 Win Mag, or even .30-30. In a short barrel we don't even get all the force into the bullet, so the recoil is already cut off when we cut off at least another 4" of barrel off a 14.5" M4.

Maybe we are missing the boat here - instead of making the buffer tube just a little different to keep from mounting a stock, maybe we should make it oval shape as big as we can get it and have it indexed vertically in some way.

It's just a pistol buffer tube.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The whole point of the SIG brace getting BATF approval is understanding what they don't approve. They apparently don't like large flat surface areas to spread the load over the shoulder, which is exactly what a buttstock is supposed to do.

Circumventing that is difficult. The SIG brace didn't, tho. It's not made at all to get around having a large flat surface. It has very little, it's mostly a void for the forearm to fit into.

So, if the two thin leaves of the forearm are "more comfortable," then why isn't the Blade? Because fanboys have vested interests in playing the game of "I have one and you don't." Something happening very much with a few SBR owners, who suggest that the flat surface on a carbine stock creates a "vast" improvement in handling, comfort, and accuracy.

Or so their $200 stamp says.

There is a different camp who's basic motto is :"We don't need no stinking stocks" who just add s buffer cover and move on. Instead of making a get around faux SBR they enjoy being a PISTOL owner. The 5.56 doesn't have that much recoil anyway. We aren't talking .300 Win Mag, or even .30-30. In a short barrel we don't even get all the force into the bullet, so the recoil is already cut off when we cut off at least another 4" of barrel off a 14.5" M4.

Maybe we are missing the boat here - instead of making the buffer tube just a little different to keep from mounting a stock, maybe we should make it oval shape as big as we can get it and have it indexed vertically in some way.

It's just a pistol buffer tube.
View Quote

The main thing with "misusing" the SIG brace is not a matter of comfort (although it is quite so), it's a matter of stability and accuracy. I have one with and one without, both 10.5", and I am COM accurate at same distances with either, but the SB brace equipped one doubles the precision within that area.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:57:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Blade-AR-pic-5.jpg

- OS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Blade-AR-pic-5.jpg

- OS

I don't see this getting approval, but I have been surprised before, i.e. Sig Brace, Bump Fire Stocks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:55:20 AM EDT
[#11]
You're looking for a crutch tip.  Under five bucks at your favorite hardware store.  Cheap, perfectly comfortable, and the rubber make it more sticky than a metal buffer tube alone.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thordsen Buffer cover with a CAA cheek riser is a nice combo. Shoulders great and is very sturdy. I know you mentioned it earlier but wanted to tell you my experience with it. I have the sig brace as well and it is kind of bulky. With a Law folder it would be awesome.

http://i57.tinypic.com/kajtja.jpg

View Quote

I agree...
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I agree...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree...

I really don't find the Sig to be too bulky.  

" target="_blank">
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is how I have mine set up. Works great and comfy also!
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#15]
The thing is that as is the case with some "band wagon" items, good and useful is good and useful even if everyone has one. The whole "EOTech or Aimpoint" things comes up and why so much why so many own them is because they are extremely high quality products.

I know everyone and their dog (at least on forums like this) are getting into the SIG arm braces...but that's for a good reason. They do a superb job. I'll admit that the KAK/SIG combo isn't the lightest but it adds stabilizing weight to the rear of the pistol where it's handy to have. It is comfortable and easy to use and really ake an AR pistol more attractive to many that wouldn't have bought one before (like me...I was on that list).

I don't buy into everything *COUGH, Magpul AFG, COUGH* but the SIG arm brace, at least for me, was a winner...
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The thing is that as is the case with some "band wagon" items, good and useful is good and useful even if everyone has one. The whole "EOTech or Aimpoint" things comes up and why so much why so many own them is because they are extremely high quality products.

I know everyone and their dog (at least on forums like this) are getting into the SIG arm braces...but that's for a good reason. They do a superb job. I'll admit that the KAK/SIG combo isn't the lightest but it adds stabilizing weight to the rear of the pistol where it's handy to have. It is comfortable and easy to use and really ake an AR pistol more attractive to many that wouldn't have bought one before (like me...I was on that list).

I don't buy into everything *COUGH, Magpul AFG, COUGH* but the SIG arm brace, at least for me, was a winner...
View Quote

So you're telling me you have no problem with using and shouldering the sig brace but you worry about putting a magpul afg on your AR pistol?

You do know there is an ATF Letter stating that it is ok just like there is for sig brace.

And if I completely misunderstood that last part of your post and you were talking about usefulness then I apologize.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:52:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So you're telling me you have no problem with using and shouldering the sig brace but you worry about putting a magpul afg on your AR pistol?

You do know there is an ATF Letter stating that it is ok just like there is for sig brace.

And if I completely misunderstood that last part of your post and you were talking about usefulness then I apologize.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry...I wasn't very clear. I personally don't like the mechanics of the AFG but I understand that I am in the minority on that one so I don't poke fun at them too much. I was just using an example of a popular item that many like and have installed on their weapons. One that is popular but not my cup-o-tea...like the SIG brace may be for the OP.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:42:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I know everyone and their dog (at least on forums like this) are getting into the SIG arm braces...but that's for a good reason. They do a superb job. I'll admit that the KAK/SIG combo isn't the lightest but it adds stabilizing weight to the rear of the pistol where it's handy to have. It is comfortable and easy to use and really ake an AR pistol more attractive to many that wouldn't have bought one before (like me...I was on that list)...
View Quote

Lots of truth in that paragraph. The Sig Brace is very well executed, especially for a bureaucratic solution to a real-world challenge.

Heavy?            Yes
Fugly?              Yes
Pricey?             Yes
Functional?      Totally.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:15:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe it's just my bad wrist but I find the afg much more comfortable then any vfg I've used.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:29:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Maybe it's just my bad wrist but I find the afg much more comfortable then any vfg I've used.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always used the mag well truth be told. Having my arm extended makes me feel more "loose" when moving the rifle from target to target. I know there's plenty of guys (and gals) who shoot mid to full length gas system ARs with their support arm way out there in front, but I just dig that position.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Got both.
300BLK
5.45x39

SIG is longer even though I have since removed the small spacer. You guys not familiar with them do not need the spacer kit with the KAK tube.
Thordsen is same length as fully closed forward carbine stock, short. Depending on nose size it is nose to CH. I like it.

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top