Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/29/2014 12:57:15 PM EDT
If there are, my google-fu is weak because I cant find them anywhere used or new.

I have a barrel nut and the front plate, but cant seem to find anything but FF hand guards.

Just A2 style would be fine, but it would be awesome if there were pistol length B5 style hand guards.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Model 1 Sales is the only pistol handguard that I've seen that uses the slip ring and end cap.  It's still one piece and expensive.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, those are two things I want to steer clear of(the pricey part anyway!).

I have used MI FF rails before, but I didn't want to put $120 in the rail for now. What is a cheaper, but decent alternative for a 7" or so FF rail?

I am thinking that I may just use a barrel nut and leave the gas tube exposed for the time being. Kind of a retro redneck bubba look!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have used MI FF rails before, but I didn't want to put $120 in the rail for now. What is a cheaper, but decent alternative for a 7" or so FF rail?

I am thinking that I may just use a barrel nut and leave the gas tube exposed for the time being. Kind of a retro redneck bubba look!
View Quote

Actually, if you add the slip ring and get a black gas tube, it looks pretty damn good.  You don't need no stinkin' handguard.  

I recommend this one.  Don't let the supplier scare you, that tube is really nice, melonited stainless.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/223-5-56-PISTOL-6-625-LENGTH-GAS-TUBE-BLACK-/310814584626?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item485dfe2f32

I thought someone was making 633 DOE handguards but can't find them anywhere.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a cheap chinese FF tube off eBay for like $22. It said "only works with low profile gas block", well the reason was the f'n chinese made it like 1/4" to long, so I hacksawed it shorter.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you want to go for the full bubba look, wrap the gas tube with aluminum foil, shiny side out. And don't try to make it smooth. Embrace the krinkle-ness!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Chop saw, JB WELD, dremmel, black paint

Just finished, my first assembled upper.
It's only a 22 but I did it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:57:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://i59.tinypic.com/21ndudf.jpg

View Quote

That looks really good. Why don't more (any) places offer these? Isn't it pretty easy to mold plastic?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]
How about some more close ups and description of how you did that.

I like it a lot and I have a spare set or so of A2 carbine length hand guards.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That looks really good. Why don't more (any) places offer these? Isn't it pretty easy to mold plastic?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i59.tinypic.com/21ndudf.jpg

Yes, once those pesky expensive molds are made...

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm in the middle of my 7.5" build it's going to be a range toy,
I'm going to use this $60.00 ish carbon fiber hand guard:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber-7-Inch-Free-Float-Quad-Rail-Handguard-w-Barrel-Nut-End-Cap-/271465013665
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#11]
They make short FF tubes.
This one is $30  4.125" long

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 1:06:11 AM EDT
[#12]
JB Weld is your friend.  A hacksaw, Dremel and razor might help as well.  Seriously, you can get standard handguards cheap in the EE.  It's worth a try.

Or you can use carbine handguards, but put the handguard cap in front of the gas block.  You just need to figure out how to hold it in place.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
JB Weld is your friend.  A hacksaw, Dremel and razor might help as well.  Seriously, you can get standard handguards cheap in the EE.  It's worth a try.

Or you can use carbine handguards, but put the handguard cap in front of the gas block.  You just need to figure out how to hold it in place.
View Quote

I remember a thread on here where someone held the hg cap in place with a retro three prong FH. Seemed like it worked fine unless you want a front sight.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top