Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2014 3:51:23 PM EDT
Wanting to make a very light weight pistol build looking at using either carbon fiber or polymer hand guard.
Also not wanting too much heat transfer from barrel to hand guard.
Looking for free float with only a rail on the top of the tube.
Using a 7.5" barrel and either a liner comp or Flash can muzzle device.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an AP Custom carbon fiber on my carbine. I really like it and am also looking at  Carbine length on my 8 inch pistol. However, it is kind of on the far end of the affordable scale.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:13:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Look up hiperform.Com
Reasonable to say the least.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:24:40 AM EDT
[#3]
if you are trying to make a light weight build, check out tegraarms.com. Carbon fiber composite lower weights in at 3.65 ounces
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Cobra tactical makes a decent cheap FF rail in carbon fiber.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the input and advice.
I found and went with this one:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber-7-Inch-Free-Float-Quad-Rail-Handguard-w-Barrel-Nut-End-Cap-/271465013665?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f349361a1
$60.00 ish is cheap enough for a guinea pig with the 3,6,9 o'clock rails removed its smooth, light and not too bulky in hand.
The hand guard mounts to a GI barrel nut via a special bracket and bolts, then the tube has screws though it into the bracket, so no glue.
Will give a range report down the road as I get the build done.

Update#1

No range report yet, but here are some potato photos to try and show
What I'm describing:
Here is bracket and "clamp" loosely installed for photo:
" />
Fuzzy photo shows bottom of the bracket loose:
" />
Front clamp with screws:
" />

Butt end of hand guard with extra rails already removed:
" />

Hope this helps.
Will post more photos as I get the parts installed and get the build completed
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for all the input and advice.
I found and went with this one:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber-7-Inch-Free-Float-Quad-Rail-Handguard-w-Barrel-Nut-End-Cap-/271465013665?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f349361a1
$60.00 ish is cheap enough for a guinea pig with the 3,6,9 o'clock rails removed its smooth, light and not too bulky in hand.
The hand guard mounts to a GI barrel nut via a special bracket and bolts, then the tube has screws though it into the bracket, so no glue.
Will give a range report down the road as I get the build done.
View Quote

Please do, I am interested in this for another build.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Updated with photos in my post above.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top