Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2014 2:24:45 PM EDT
I'm almost done. I still have a 7" DD EZ Car rail coming to sway the Magpul SL hand guard.

This is for the wife and the SBX brace with the Phase 5 buffer tube fits perfectly for her LOP.

I originally ordered a Primary Arms Holosun optic for her but I found a good deal on the Aimpoint T1. I still am looking for a good deal on a Larue or ADM mount for lower 1/3 co-witness if anyone has one.

Specs:

Delton lower
Colt 6920 upper cut to 10.3"
Sig SBX brace
Phase 5 buffer tube
MI sling attachment
VCAS sling
Magpul SL handguard
Aimpoint T1

Here it is with its Block II big brother

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#1]
very sharp, I like the front sight recessed into the hand guard like that.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice. I think the Magpul handgards look good on there.

If you could......how long is the SBX brace from front to back? Is the hole for the buffer tube all the way from end to end?

Thank you....finally someone has an SBX and they can answer all of our questions
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Let me get home and take some measurements and I'll post them for everybody
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you in advance.

Also.....do the flaps seem stiff or flimsy? Just comparing it to the standard SB15 brace. I think it looks much better, but if it isn't as firm/solid as the SB15, I want to make sure I know before ordering as many as I can afford
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you in advance.

Also.....do the flaps seem stiff or flimsy? Just comparing it to the standard SB15 brace. I think it looks much better, but if it isn't as firm/solid as the SB15, I want to make sure I know before ordering as many as I can afford
View Quote

The question I can answer now. It's super stiff! I actually can imagine sticking your arm through it and using it as a brace. Hate to post that on the Internet but I think everybody deserves to know that it is super stiff and works very well.

Comparing it to the original brace this one works much better when you shoulder it. This seems a bit shorter to but I'm not sure if that's actually reality or if it just feels that way.

Like I said when I get home I'll get some actual measurements and get them posted.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome.........this will be the end of my credit card.

Shhhhh, my wife may be watching
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#7]
6.5" tube length and 6" brace fins.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Basically the same as the SB15.

Now I need at lease two of these....long term I need 4 total.

They should pay you for marketing

Thanks for taking the time.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey, that doesn't look bad, I think I like it.

Now if Sig would get more in stock, I'd order one.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I wonder how it looks on a kak super tube
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

From measurements given so far and the fact that it has a thick wall on back of tube channel, I don't think the front of it is gonna reach the retaining flange on the KAK, so that part of the tubes function may be for naught, and look rather odd.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

From measurements given so far and the fact that it has a thick wall on back of tube channel, I don't think the front of it is gonna reach the retaining flange on the KAK, so that part of the tubes function may be for naught, and look rather odd.

- OS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

You can see in the second picture I posted that it doesn't fit all the way on the Phase 5 tube. The brace is bottomed out and you can see it is about 2" from the castle nut.

So you are right that it probably won't fit all the way on a KAK tube. The flange on the KAK tube is no longer necessary.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You can see in the second picture I posted that it doesn't fit all the way on the Phase 5 tube. The brace is bottomed out and you can see it is about 2" from the castle nut.

So you are right that it probably won't fit all the way on a KAK tube. The flange on the KAK tube is no longer necessary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Yeah, probably, thanks for that. But the extra 1.5" or so of LOP with the KAK is nice period. Is that the Phase 5 Hex tube on yours? I understand even SB15 doesn't go all the way on with the Hex, but does it wind up being the same LOP as with the KAK even though the Hex is shorter?

All this should you want to "misuse" the brace, of course.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah, probably, thanks for that. But the extra 1.5" or so of LOP with the KAK is nice period. Is that the Phase 5 Hex tube on yours? I understand even SB15 doesn't go all the way on with the Hex, but does it wind up being the same LOP as with the KAK even though the Hex is shorter?

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

- OS

It's just the standard round tube.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#15]
If it were mine I would leave the Magpul handguard on there as I think they are pretty sweet.  I still like the older brace for some reason though.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Stop posting pics! I'm trying to hold off building another AR right now.

Looks great man! You're going to cost me money!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#17]
So, the buffer tube hole doesn't go all the way through the brace? How deep is the hole? That sounds funny...haha. I have KAK SB15 tubes, the ones with the solid diameter larger shoulder. If they don't slide all the way over, I know the last part (I need to measure how much) is solid, I would be able to shorten it if needed.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:17:32 PM EDT
[#18]
i don't hate the SBX as much as I used to, still like the SB15 better aesthetically. Those new magpul and guards look nice but I heard they are pain to put on.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:19:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I can speak for that one...they are a bit of a pain to install, but once installed, they can stay there......so not an issue for me. They are solid when in place!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:35:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Great build ! It looks much better than the SB15, in my humble opinion. I have the Hex tube on my build, I was not going to turn it down on the lathe for the SB15, and just keep the Hex tube the way it was. After seeing the SBX, I would consider it. I posted a couple of pics of my Hellbreaker Pistol for all of you over in the correct area, but it may not have gone right. Once ahain, I dig everything about your build, what was the depth of the inner buffer tube channel again if I missed it ? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:03:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Great build ! It looks much better than the SB15, in my humble opinion. I have the Hex tube on my build, I was not going to turn it down on the lathe for the SB15, and just keep the Hex tube the way it was. After seeing the SBX, I would consider it. I posted a couple of pics of my Hellbreaker Pistol for all of you over in the correct area, but it may not have gone right. Once ahain, I dig everything about your build, what was the depth of the inner buffer tube channel again if I missed it ? Thanks in advance.
View Quote

About 6"
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:39:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Awesome! I've been thinking about a 10.5" pistol with the MOE SL lately but couldn't find any pictures.  It looks just as good as I imagined! Is your OAL long enough for a VFG? If I build one I'm going to put an M-lok MVG on it
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Looks great, nice clean build.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:43:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Just got the SBX in hand, and yep, it will be pretty close to 1/2" short of reaching the front flange of the KAK "super" tube. Putting it on an AK pistol, but want that extra length, so just ordered another KAK tube anyway, along with the spacers, which will take care of the gap and give me even more LOP should I decide to misuse it. ;)

- OS
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just got the SBX in hand, and yep, it will be pretty close to 1/2" short of reaching the front flange of the KAK "super" tube. Putting it on an AK pistol, but want that extra length, so just ordered another KAK tube anyway, along with the spacers, which will take care of the gap and give me even more LOP should I decide to misuse it. ;)

- OS
View Quote

Pics? Or maybe in a different thread?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

I just held it alongside existing pistol with the KAK tube and SB-15 on it to get pert close approximation,  certainly don't wanna pull it off to put the SBX on it, and take it back off too. Once I get the AK fixed up with KAK/SBX will post some.

But the measurements alone tell the story: the SBX is right at 1/4" shorter plus it has a 3/8-1/4" thick wall in the back so tube won't come flush with back of brace either.

- OS
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top