Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/21/2014 8:51:54 AM EDT
Does anyone have both?  Which do you like better and why?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I have both...

Thorsden: Light weight. QD mounts.Cheap. Good cheek weld. Seems a tad flimsy (Many small plastic parts- 8 to be exact).

Sig: Comfy as shit. Heavy. More expensive (For me-because I will only buy the KAK newer tubes kits for them). Tough as nails (You can beat down the enemy with it after you've run out of ammo).

I like both. If I were to build another pistol, I'd probably go with the Thorsden. For me its cheaper, and I like the weight savings. In the end, its just temp until the form 1 clears, right??!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, a lot of us are looking at it for the long run. No stamps or forms for us. Period.

Appreciate the input, a lot more than the OP are interested in whether a foam pad and some rubber washers is enough or if the options offer something more.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#3]
That is interesting about the sig being heavy.  I thought it would be pretty light.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is interesting about the sig being heavy.  I thought it would be pretty light.
View Quote

It's solid rubber vs. hollowed out plastic.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd say if you plan to keep the pistol config (edit: and shoot it often); go sig brace, second gen KAK tube with a QD endplate and be done. Pretty bitchin set up, just pricy.

If you're just going to use it as a novelty item, i.e. Conversation starter, Show off at the range, safe queen- go with the Thorsden.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:14:02 PM EDT
[#6]
KAK Super buffer tube and SB15. Works great! No paper work, and all the fun!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I just ordered my first thordsen tube cover. The one with the QD sockets. I also have SIG braces. The problem is that I currently have 3 sig braces and am going broke buying them..haha. Wanted to at least try the thordsen.

I don't really mind the weight of the sig brace, wish it was narrower, but that would defeat it's purposed design, I suppose.

I am sure I will do like always...try save the money by getting the thordsen, then realizing I just should have bought another sig brace. Then, lose money selling the thordsen on the EE.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:09:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I love the Thordsen. LOP is about the same as carbine stock in the fully closed position.  It is pretty sturdy on my setup.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Slightly leaning toward Sig and the KAK tube.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#10]
My thordsen should arrive today. I read on a different thread that it sticks out 7.75" past the rear of the receiver.  I measured my KAK tubes that I have and they stick out 8.5". I will see of the lighter/less bulk is worth sacrificing the length.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#11]
The SB15 is built like a brick crapper...I can't see how you could ever wreck that thing. I have a KAK series 2 buffer tube that should be at my home in about...well...2 hrs or so. The weight of the thing did not throw me off, there's a difference between well made and a lead brick. At 11oz...I'd hardly describe the Sb15 as a lead brick given how many people use their AR as a coat rack for hanging crap lately...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My thordsen should arrive today. I read on a different thread that it sticks out 7.75" past the rear of the receiver.  I measured my KAK tubes that I have and they stick out 8.5". I will see of the lighter/less bulk is worth sacrificing the length.
View Quote

Thanks HK dude.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:27:45 AM EDT
[#13]
You are welcome.

Received it, it is actually a decent piece of plastic. Doesn't seem flimsy at all. It just seems to short for me. Also, when I would have a sling on the gun, the swivel in the tube cover was very close to my face. I think it MAY smack me a little when shooting with a sling.

It is much nicer that I thought it would be, stays very snug (no actual firing).

Just not for me, the KAK SB15 buffer tube alone, or with s SB15 brace is just way too comfortable to me.

Oh well, off to the EE it will go at a fair price.

Already ordered yet another KAK tube.....gonna wait for more "Gun Fund" before I order another brace.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:41:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Easily goes to the Sig brace if you want an LOP longer than a tube. Comfort and cheek weld also go to the Sig Brace. The only thing the thorsden wins on is weight savings and it is cheaper. To me the Sig brace, when used along with the KAK tube works so well that the form 1 that it was supposed to be a place holder for never materialized.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:18:31 AM EDT
[#15]
...pricing and weight have already been pointed out, but seems everyone skipped on the bio-mechanical and ergonomic aspects...

.....the primary difference between the two types is how much surface area is available for placing it against your shoulder pocket, should you choose to use it in that manner  for a solid mount.  Both provide similar cheek weld, but when mounted to the shoulder, the SIG has more surface area available due the length/depth of the brace.  

The SIG brace will reach from the top of the hollow of the shoulder pocket to the top of the  pectoral muscle of the chest, just like a normal stock.  This allows the user to raise the weapon high enough to achieve a good cheek weld without having to roll the face over to make contact with the stock/tube covering.   The Thordsen has less surface area and forces the user to place the stock lower in the shoulder hollow to gain a "solid" mount point, but lowers the stock/tube and forces the user to roll the face over.  Remember, everyone's physique differs so some may feel this to lesser or greater effect.

One way to imagine it is like some one pressing their palm into your shoulder area versus someone pressing their finger into the same area.....

Let functionality be your guiding criteria, not the flash or savings of a minimal amount of cash..... if it doesn't work for you it was a needless expenditure of money and time..
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
...pricing and weight have already been pointed out, but seems everyone skipped on the bio-mechanical and ergonomic aspects...

.....the primary difference between the two types is how much surface area is available for placing it against your shoulder pocket, should you choose to use it in that manner  for a solid mount.  Both provide similar cheek weld, but when mounted to the shoulder, the SIG has more surface area available due the length/depth of the brace.  

The SIG brace will reach from the top of the hollow of the shoulder pocket to the top of the  pectoral muscle of the chest, just like a normal stock.  This allows the user to raise the weapon high enough to achieve a good cheek weld without having to roll the face over to make contact with the stock/tube covering.   The Thordsen has less surface area and forces the user to place the stock lower in the shoulder hollow to gain a "solid" mount point, but lowers the stock/tube and forces the user to roll the face over.  Remember, everyone's physique differs so some may feel this to lesser or greater effect.

One way to imagine it is like some one pressing their palm into your shoulder area versus someone pressing their finger into the same area.....

Let functionality be your guiding criteria, not the flash or savings of a minimal amount of cash..... if it doesn't work for you it was a needless expenditure of money and time..
View Quote

And this right here is why I went with the SIG.

I shoot from a raised position, with a cheek weld that doesn't require me to bend my neck all that much. Call it military training, call it what you will...it's how I shoot an AR. The SIG allows me to raise the weapon up to proper position due to it's height...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#17]
.....the primary difference between the two types is how much surface area is available for placing it against your shoulder pocket, should you choose to use it in that manner  for a solid mount. Both provide similar cheek weld, but when mounted to the shoulder, the SIG has more surface area available due the length/depth of the brace.

Hit it on the head, 100%. I don't know whey I keep trying to get around buying 2 more frickin Braces......well, time to pony up, because nothing else is working in the same manner.....for me, that is.

Added......Before you all start telling me to put that money toward a stamp, I already have 2 SBRs.....the pistols, though similar, fill a different niche(sp?)
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#18]
The length of pull advantage that the Sig brace has is soon to go away as Thordsen and KAK are collaborating on a new tube.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The length of pull advantage that the Sig brace has is soon to go away as Thordsen and KAK are collaborating on a new tube.
View Quote

That will take care of the slightly shorter length issue, but unless they can get some sort of vertical item on the ass end of it approved by ATF, it will not change that aspect. Which is the bigger issue then the length.

Glad to see they are doing new things though.....that is great.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is good to hear. I have the Thordsen tube cover and CAA cheek rest and if the LOP would be a little longer it would be perfect. Has anyone made some sort of modification to make it longer. I've thought of some ideas but havent had time to play with it yet.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This is good to hear. I have the Thordsen tube cover and CAA cheek rest and if the LOP would be a little longer it would be perfect. Has anyone made some sort of modification to make it longer. I've thought of some ideas but havent had time to play with it yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone posted here a gen2 Kak tube with the thordsen attached, almost attractive.

The sig's are almost indestructible the thordsen likely not so much but everything comes at a price.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Does the KAK tube work with the SBX brace as well?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can anyone point me to more info on this new Thordsen/KAK product?  I like the idea of the Thordsen cover but would prefer a little more length.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:10:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Wouldn't the thordsen work with the KAK gen2 tube that was designed for the Sig brace anyways? I don't know why they'd have to come up with something new, it seems this should give like an extra 1.5" lop to the thordsen kit. What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Also check out the Odin Works buffer tube for use with the Sig brace.  

http://www.odinworks.com/product_p/acc-sbpt.htm
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:56:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Also check out the Odin Works buffer tube for use with the Sig brace.  

http://www.odinworks.com/product_p/acc-sbpt.htm
View Quote

Local company, awesome people and even better product. It is a MUST for a SB15.

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top