Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/20/2014 10:48:26 AM EDT
Mornin folks,

I'm starting an AR pistol build and idk what barrel length to go with and am torn between a 11.5" or a 12.5".
Use will be just a general duty 5.56 to compliment my Tavor (I currently don't have any ARs) but more leaning towards something that I can pop yotes, varmints, and the occasional hog with (it will be topped with a 2-7x optic and 45° irons). The Tavor is great but I don't feel like dropping $400 for the geissele trigger at this time, I'd just rather build an AR and it isn't exactly light either...

And I know this topic has been BEYOND beaten to death but I'm not some high speed low drag tacticool operator... just a dude wanting something capable of about 200 yards (or farther if feeling ballsy) all day long and it seems like Google doesn't want to help me out. Everything that keeps popping is just "use X barrel length because X said so and it's great for CQB"

Oh and lastly, I do kinda want to still be able to use a 12" handguard and plan on using a Midwest SSK. I just prefer the feel the extra length adds and a little longer sight radius that it'd provide for the 45° offset irons. (I'll be running a troy claymore or similar so the handguard can be a little long).
Oh and no plans for a can anytime soon so just forget about it for now

So what does the hive think? Which one would give me the best balance for weight, velocity, and handiness? Anyone hunt with one?

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#1]
11.5" pistol here.... it's about PERFECT! Keeps the OAL down to a reasonable size, and the velocities from 11.5" are plenty adequate. Plus, I see many more 11.5" barrels available, giving you some choices there. As always, YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#2]
My .02 is go with the 11.5" I have had excellent performance. But if you are dead set on a 12" hand guard you have to make sure the MD vents or blast is out side of/beyond that hand guard (yea I know... that should be obvious).

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Well that was fast

Sweet, 11.5" is what it looks like it'll be the one to run. Any suggestions on which particular barrel to go with? I'm thinking lightweight profile but no idea what brand. I know the obvious good ones like DD but what else is good?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well that was fast

Sweet, 11.5" is what it looks like it'll be the one to run. Any suggestions on which particular barrel to go with? I'm thinking lightweight profile but no idea what brand. I know the obvious good ones like DD but what else is good?
View Quote

I'm a fan of BCM. I also hear good things about Wilson Combat.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well that was fast

View Quote

I have a Spikes LW (.625" GB) and I am extremely happy with it. But sticking with a reputable manufacturer and you will be in good shape.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I had my most excellent luck with the Adams Arms 11.5" Voo Doo Barrel.
One put out a 3/4" group the other 1 1/4" (very windy day).
Plus they were under 200.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Bare in mind that a 11" rail will come just to the back of the muzzle device on a 11.5" barrel, a 12" rail will be covering the muzzle device by almost an inch.

I'd go with the 11.5" barrel myself on a 11" rail.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:10:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Not to be contrarian... but if I were you I would go with a 12.5. Even more personally, I would go with a Kino setup (but that's just me...).

It seems like "tacticool leet super operator epicness" is not what you are concerned about (so you don't need a 10.3 colt with a DD RIS to fullfill your CQBR clone) and that the ~1 inch more in length will not be kicking you in the dick if you are outside. A 12.5 setup would have your muzzle device start basically at the end of your rail and would give you the longer sight radius you are seeking.

my $0.02 :)
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok guys, a little thing popped up.

A guy I know has a spare Odin Works 10.5" barrel from an old build he switched up on. He said its mine for $150 and never been fired.

What do yall think? Price savings worth going down to 10.5"? As before, I'd prefer a little longer but if there really isn't much gain, I may just use it....
https://www.odinworks.com/ODIN_Works_223_Wylde_10_5_Barrel_p/b-223-10.htm
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Likely a nice barrel and a good savings over retail, a 12" rail though with come to about a 1/4" to 1/2" from the end of most slightly longer muzzle devices.

Does it come with the gas block like the ad states?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Likely a nice barrel and a good savings over retail, a 12" rail though with come to about a 1/4" to 1/2" from the end of most slightly longer muzzle devices.

Does it come with the gas block like the ad states?
View Quote

Yes. And I'd use a 10" rail with it, don't worry.

10.5" still got enough zip though for coyotes at range?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:12:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I would get a ballistic advantage 11.5" barrel, 12" MI rail, & ballistic advantage kuuma v2

http://ballisticadvantagellc.com/?product=5-56-11-5-government-carbine

http://ballisticadvantagellc.com/?product=kuuma-bdpc-v-2
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:31:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would get a ballistic advantage 11.5" barrel, 12" MI rail, & ballistic advantage kuuma v2

View Quote

Holy shit yeah, that's a great deal. The comp is a little pricey but that barrel is a steal. Yeah, it's lacking the gas block but I may just go with it. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tried to put an order in with them... keep getting an SSL error..... great.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Alright, just said screw it and went 12.5" from ballistic advantage.

What flash hider would yall recommend? I'm more of a linear comp guy but I think that a flash hider is what this build needs. I'm thinking a smith Vortex but what do yall think?
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top