Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2014 3:19:35 PM EDT
Finally got around to going to the range with the new 10.5 pistol build. Got FTF on 3 different types of ammo and mags.

Suggestions?

Heavier buffer or compensator or both?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#1]
More info needed than that.

A heavier buffer is a band-aid for overgassing only, and seldom the difference between running at all or not.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I would get a fail to feed after first round would eject but would not cycle the next one.  I used a carbine buffer and I only have a a2 flash hider on it.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would get a fail to feed after first round would eject but would not cycle the next one.  I used a carbine buffer and I only have a a2 flash hider on it.

View Quote

Does it lock open on empty mag? Load one round in mag and try it several times to see.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote
Eh, almost everyone agrees that a 10.5" bbl needs at least an H buffer if not an H2. Even if the gas port is the perfect size for the ammo you're using there's still dwell time to consider and a heavier buffer helps to compensate for the shorter dwell time with the 10.5" bbl.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Eh, almost everyone agrees that a 10.5" bbl needs at least an H buffer if not an H2. Even if the gas port is the perfect size for the ammo you're using there's still dwell time to consider and a heavier buffer helps to compensate for the shorter dwell time with the 10.5" bbl.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If gun is short stoking, a heavier buffer will only compound the problem. It's best to fix the problem before worrying about optimizing.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If gun is short stoking, a heavier buffer will only compound the problem. It's best to fix the problem before worrying about optimizing.

- OS
View Quote
I agree but I wouldn't even run a 10.5" upper with a carbine buffer to begin with. Gas ports are rarely undersized and pretty much all ammo should produce enough gas to cycle the action.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, read through this thread for possible solutions to your problem.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#8]
OP.......what parts are you running?
Barrel?
Ammo?
Buffer?
Spring?
Unless pyu are just venting, more info is needed to help you with this FFT issue.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:26:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP.......what parts are you running?
Barrel?
Ammo?
Buffer?
Spring?
Unless pyu are just venting, more info is needed to help you with this FFT issue.
View Quote

Sorry, had to take off for a b-day party yesterday.

So the parts are :
Barrel is a 1:7 heavy barrel/upper from Harden Arms.
BCG is AIM NiB
Buffer and buffer spring is I am assuming CMMG. I bought it along with the sb15 buffer type tube from ebay. I believe it should be a carbine buffer etc.

The ammo that was fired starting with my first failure to feed was cheapo wolf steel cased 55 grain, the second time was remington 62 grain , and the last where it wasn't a failure to feed but it was a failure to reset the trigger. No indent on case from pin hit or anything and that was with federal reloads 55 grain.

The gun is set up with only a a2 flash hider also. The LPK came from PSA not the PTAC cheapo stuff and it was installed by a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Very helpful .. Thanks.

It seems I may have a couple of issues going on. One being the trigger failing to reset and the failure to feed issue.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Very helpful .. Thanks.

It seems I may have a couple of issues going on. One being the trigger failing to reset and the failure to feed issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very helpful .. Thanks.

Again, quickest test, if it doesn't lock back on empty mag, short stroking due to undergassing is almost certain,  as would account for both not feeding next round and not resetting trigger.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Again, quickest test, if it doesn't lock back on empty mag, short stroking due to undergassing is almost certain,  as would account for both not feeding next round and not resetting trigger.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very helpful .. Thanks.

- OS

Thanks.
It will be until next weekend before I can check. I didn't try that when I was out there.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#13]
If it is shortstroking then a o-ring to the extractor should (hopefully) take care of it?

The o-ring is what, a #60 ?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If it is shortstroking then a o-ring to the extractor should (hopefully) take care of it?

The o-ring is what, a #60 ?
View Quote

Only if it's short stroking and leaving a spent case half way out of the chamber.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:47:17 AM EDT
[#16]
If it is a boom click, maybe the trigger spring is not installed right?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I had the same issue on my first build. I took it out to the range today and similar deal it cycled ok but the bolt would not lock to the rear with an empty mag.  upon investigation with my carbine length. I used  a longer length spring by about 2" same buffer but with the longer spring it just wouldn't lock the bolt. I cut off 2" of the spring and it seems to work now manually  Ill be checking it out this weekend at the range.  maybe this helps.. Good luck and please let us know the fix.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Divide and conquer - did you function test the lower before you mounted the upper on it?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:27:30 AM EDT
[#19]
It sounds under gassed or other gas related problem. Check you gas rings to make sure they slot is not lined up in a row. as well. I would then make sure the all of you lower parts are installed correctly. After that check the barrel gas port, and make sure the gas tube is not clogged for some reason, and that the gas block is lined up over the gas port.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Check to see if your gas block is up against the barrel land. If it is the gas ports may not be aligned.
Some gas blocks are designed to have the handguard plate installed in between and adjust the ports for it.
If you can, move the block out a little (I don't know the measurement - just the thickness of the plate) and try it.
YMMV
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top