AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:34:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They didn't exist a few years ago. Only been out for about a year and a half or so.

- OS

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
...........Use it, don't use it, love it, hate it, ........ who really cares what anyone thinks? It's a personal choice. I like my braces.

I tried one a few years ago. They are ok, I eventually sold it to a shooting buddy that simply had to have it.
I am just fine with the Phase 5 setup........for now.

They didn't exist a few years ago. Only been out for about a year and a half or so.

- OS

Sit brace was released in 2011, it's now 2014..........pop your head out of your ass dumbshit.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Sit brace was released in 2011, it's now 2014..........pop your head out of your ass dumbshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...........Use it, don't use it, love it, hate it, ........ who really cares what anyone thinks? It's a personal choice. I like my braces.
I tried one a few years ago. They are ok, I eventually sold it to a shooting buddy that simply had to have it.

- OS

I searched the 'net and while I could not find an official press release from Sig on the SB15, I did find information that I feel is relatively accurate about its release date.

First I found this post in which the inventor of the SB-15 discusses its development and submitting it to the ATF for approval. The post is dated 12/18/12.

Here's the ATF approval letter is dated 11/26/12. We can safely assume that Sig would not release the product or even put it into product until they received ATF approval so the SB-15 would not have released prior to this date.

Next I found this entry dated 4/30/13 discussing the the imminent release of the SB15.

Lastly found this on a blog entry dated 4/29/13 which confirms the previous source. The blog entry states that Sig would be "releasing the SB15 at the NRA Annual Meeting this week." which would make the release date of the SB15 about 17 months ago.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I think the Sig brace has introduced a lot of new buyers/builders to AR pistols, AK pistols, Sig 556 pistols, and now HK and FAL pistols.  Personally, I never thought about building or buying a rifle caliber pistol until I saw some really cool build pictures on the AR pistol thread on arfcom.  I finally built my first one this year using the Thordsen kit, which feels great and actually looks pretty cool.  I also bought a PAP M70 AK pistol and put the Atlantic brace on it, and it is tons of fun to shoot.  I've heard the AK pistols were almost unusable before the brace.  At least we now have choices and affordable options for people who can't afford to go the full SBR route, or their state won't allow it.  These long barrel pistols seem to be selling much better than standard length rifles, as well as all of the accessories now available for them, which is good for everyone. I applaud Sig and Thordsen for opening my eyes to this, I may do a full SBR in the near future, and never would have without the initial interest sparked by the braces and nice build threads on arfcom.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I searched the 'net and while I could not find an official press release from Sig on the SB15, I did find information that I feel is relatively accurate about its release date.

First I found this post in which the inventor of the SB-15 discusses its development and submitting it to the ATF for approval. The post is dated 12/18/12.

Here's the ATF approval letter is dated 11/26/12. We can safely assume that Sig would not release the product or even put it into product until they received ATF approval so the SB-15 would not have released prior to this date.

Next I found this entry dated 4/30/13 discussing the the imminent release of the SB15.

Lastly found this on a blog entry dated 4/29/13 which confirms the previous source. The blog entry states that Sig would be "releasing the SB15 at the NRA Annual Meeting this week." which would make the release date of the SB15 about 17 months ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Well done on the research, Matt.

Dinner is served.

faawrenchbndr, did you actually try the Sig brace and just have a faulty memory (in addition to a proclivity to insult people based on said faulty memory), or did you just make that up to substantiate your disdain for the brace?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:19:01 PM EDT
[#5]
My main reason for going with SB-15 instead of SBR is I don't want to deal with reporting to someone if/when I travel across my State line......SBR is nice but too much B.S. behind it, don't want to deal with any of that

I have been shooting my AR Pistol without SB-15 and never had buffer tube rest on my shoulder and now with SB-15 on I still don't have it rested on my shoulder but on my cheek instead as I am used to, I guess I can actually go without it but feels more balance with it on.....especially with my SWR Spacwar 762 attached to my AR Pistol......
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Thank you. I just believe in letting the facts speak for themselves.

I occasionally take a break from the boards here, as many do. I knew I was not hanging around when it go released but I'm not gone for a year at a time so I suspected it wasn't released that long ago and my suspicion was correct.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:42:03 PM EDT
[#7]
As stupid looking as clown shoes.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Goofy looking and bulky. No Fo.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#9]
In California the sig brace maybe still consider a sbr on a pistol, so many stay away.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

faawrenchbndr, did you actually try the Sig brace and just have a faulty memory (in addition to a proclivity to insult people based on said faulty memory), or did you just make that up to substantiate your disdain for the brace?
View Quote

Yep,...actually tried it. Could have swore the prototype was completed and submitted for ATF approval in November of 2011.
Oh well, must have jacked the dates up. Seems that has stirred e thread up a bit.

Did not intend to insult, throw attitude my way and it will be returned four fold.

As far as the brace, look up my comments in the archives. I liked it, is a better option than a SBR stamp for those that shoot in
other states or those that move, ie,...military. The brace allows for about 80-85% as solid of a grip to the shoulder as a standard
butt stock. It is a bit bulky, the bubber does seem to drag on clothing a bit more than a stock body would, balance with a brace is
better than without. I removed mine due to the fact of a buddy wanting one and could not locate one at that time.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh yea,......I like eatin crow. It's really good with A1 steak sauce
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Oh well, must have jacked the dates up. Seems that has stirred e thread up a bit.

Did not intend to insult, throw attitude my way and it will be returned four fold.

View Quote
Like I said, your comment piqued my curiosity.

Nothing wrong with bein' wrong. To err is human and all.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The below qualifies as attitude in your book? How else should OhShoot have phrased accurate info so at to not offend you?

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The below qualifies as attitude in your book? How else should OhShoot have phrased accurate info so at to not offend you?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

May have been a bit harsh,......however, I have nothing I need to explain to you, your simply chimed in to stir a shit pot.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I seemingly stick my foot in my mouth rather regularly.......my toes taste good I guess.
Any other Qs about the brace?

The biggest benefit of it is no paperwork, do not have to request permission to cross state lines with it.
The thing is a love it or hate it accessory. Don't have think even the KNS anti rotations pin set is as controversial.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

May have been a bit harsh,......however, I have nothing I need to explain to you, your simply chimed in to stir a shit pot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect. I chimed in because you were being a d-bag to someone for no good reason.

I appreciate your begrudgingly acknowledging that your response to OhShoot was inappropriate.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, whatever the case......thanks for the attitude adjustment.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:57:48 AM EDT
[#18]
The great thing about living in the US is that we all have choices.  Like the brace...great buy one buy 10 makes no difference.  You don't like the brace, that's fine too, put that ugly CAA crap on your buffer and move along.

I like how some will say they don't like the looks...that's fine.  For me, function is my primary goal.  That brace fits me well and I for one am happy it was invented.  I'm glad to see that it will have competition soon, which is always great for the consumer.  I don't mind how the brace looks, but in the end it boils down to personal choice.

Love it or hate it...in the end that brace simply works and it works well.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#19]
My main reason for not SBR'ing and going the Sig Brace route is that I can now legally hunt with it as a pistol in Missouri.  If I had gone the SBR route, I couldn't hunt with it during pistol season.  

Spending more money, waiting more time, but having fewer options didn't appeal to me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#20]
there isn't a scrap of paperwork linking me to my ARs. every firearm I own has been a face to face transfer and I don't sign bills of sale. I would like a SBR, but until somebody gets this ridiculous barrel length classification off of the NFA list, ill have to settle for work-arounds. I have no interest in giving an itemized list to a government that doesn't want me to be allowed to own those items.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

there isn't a scrap of paperwork linking me to my ARs. every firearm I own has been a face to face transfer and I don't sign bills of sale. I would like a SBR, but until somebody gets this ridiculous barrel length classification off of the NFA list, ill have to settle for work-arounds. I have no interest in giving an itemized list to a government that doesn't want me to be allowed to own those items.
View Quote
Sticking it to the Man. Best reason...ever.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
there isn't a scrap of paperwork linking me to my ARs. every firearm I own has been a face to face transfer and I don't sign bills of sale. ...
View Quote

How are you sure your pistol lower or lowers are legit for the purpose? Just don't worry about it?

- OS
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:15:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

How are you sure your pistol lower or lowers are legit for the purpose? Just don't worry about it?

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
there isn't a scrap of paperwork linking me to my ARs. every firearm I own has been a face to face transfer and I don't sign bills of sale. ...

- OS
Easy. Buy from a friend you trust.

In some states, what blue109 describes is no longer possible. We are going to have to fight like hell to make sure universal background checks does not get passed on the national level. Otherwise every private firearms transaction is going to end up on a federal form.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Man y'all will argue about anything. Sure it's a bit heavy, and ugly to some, but nobody is forced to put it on their pistol.

The brace was the reason I built my pistol. The moment I saw it, in arfcom gd mind you, I wanted it. Always wanted a short barreled ar but the more I learned about sbr laws the less I wanted to do with them. Now I have a very handy defense weapon that sees more range time than any other gun I own besides my cc pistol. Could I live without the brace, sure, but I think it makes my ar look more visually appealing and more comfortable to use.

My only qualm with the brace is that the tacky rubber material used hangs up on my clothes a bit but that can also have it's benefits too

Eta. Never shot an ar without a stock on it or sig brace so I don't know how it feels to shoot with just the receiver extension
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Easy. Buy from a friend you trust..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

The only "gun friends" I'm close enough to trust completely are like me, they don't sell off their AR lowers.  :)

- OS
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The only "gun friends" I'm close enough to trust completely are like me, they don't sell off their AR lowers.  :)

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

- OS

Likely didn't stop the seller from writing down your tag number, recording your telephone number when the man comes knocking on his door and guess what he goes belly up dishing out your info.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My only qualm with the brace is that the tacky rubber material used hangs up on my clothes a bit but that can also have it's benefits too
View Quote

Oh I bet you played around with the right chemicals one could find something that you could apply to the rear end that would knockdown the tackyness.  I cannot recall what I had used on a Limbsaver recoil pad by accident that made it real slick.  And it still is 4 years later.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:24:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Astroglide or KY?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I have  two pistols. One AK 10" 7.62 variant and one AR 12" 5.56.  I wouldn't have considered either weapon as an option until I fired a Brace equipped AR pistol. I cant understand why anybody would equate shooting a bare or padded pistol tube as ergonomically sound as a Braced tube. The difference is night and day. It wouldnt be a stretch to say the Brace is the functional equivalent of a fixed stock.  As far as structural rigidity is concerned... comparing the brace to gel or foam is at best disingenous, I find the brace to as rigid as a cross sectioned 12 ply tire and unbreakable. Speaking as an owner of both an  AR SBR and an AR pistol..I prefer my SBR ... but when I travel or dont want to mess with paperwork for whatever reason,  I use my pistol and know I have a functional ergonomically sound firearm that is about 90% as capable as my SBR
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#30]
The thing is ugly...and a bit bulky...but it is comfortable. I go to the range to shoot...not for a fashion show Who gives a crap if it is odd looking, it works.

I live in Illinois so unless I want to screw with the entire C&R license + SBR stamp, a SBR is a no-go. Even if it was a go...I do not want to screw with all of the legalities of having a registered SBR anyway.

Util this brace came out...an AR pistol was completely out of my scope. I do not like the feel or body placement of using a buffer tube for a body brace. Not liking the feel = not buying one.

I didn't even consider an AR pistol until the SB15 came out. Now I have a 7" pistol because of it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#31]
I've got one without the brace and don't plan on getting one.
The other day I found myself using my rifle with the stock collapsed and shooting it like a pistol.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:17:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Any other Qs about the brace?
View Quote

I have lots of questions about the Sig Brace.

But I prefer to ask people who've actually handled one.

So... to those who've actually shot an AR Pistol equipped with a Sig Brace, have any of you also used the Thordsen Custom + CAA Side Saddle combo?

I'm curious about how they compare.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:14:35 AM EDT
[#33]
The SIG feels like a buttstock, when your shooting with it, you won't know the difference..I went straight for the gen 2 KAK buffer tube and although it's a bit short in the rear compared to how I leave my AR rifle set, it is not a bad firing position. It offers a perfectly acceptable cheek weld. At the moment, it doesn't budge, it's on there tighter than a glove, time will tell how it hold up (reports about longtime term use seem fine).

I'll come right out and say it, the SIG + KAK is heavy...but I'm not a weight weenie. My 7" pistol is still far lighter then my full sized 16" rifle.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Takes up the place of  2 guns in my small safe and in my two gun bag. Sent it back to Amazon
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#35]
i just ordered and received the Thordson buffer tube cover.............the item itself seems to be well made and fits nice and snug. It is just no comparison to using a SIG brace. I will be selling it.

No, there is no reason NOT to have a sig brace. Just ordered an SBX tonight. I have 2 SB15s and 1 SB47 at the moment. Once you go sig brace, you can't go back
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:20:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Like it or not, this movement puts more guns out there which is better for all of us.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top