Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/30/2014 10:08:14 AM EDT
Probably 100 times.  I must be dumb, but nowhere in there did I see anything about it being okay to put a vert grip on a pistol even if it IS longer than 26".  Can someone show me the light? Or, where are people getting this from?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.franklinarmory.com/XO-26_Letter__c_.pdf

Last two paragraphs especially.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:42:26 AM EDT
[#2]
It's okay to do, but it stops being a pistol and rather a 'firearm' when you put a VFG on.
IIRC when you take the VFG off legally becomes a pistol again, unlike with a stock.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:54:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's okay to do, but it stops being a pistol and rather a 'firearm' when you put a VFG on.
IIRC when you take the VFG off legally becomes a pistol again, unlike with a stock.
View Quote

So if the AR pistol is over 26" in length.... you have to file and pay $$ to place this vert grip on it?

Heck I just measured my 10.5" AR Pistol just now, it's 28 inches.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:56:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So if the AR pistol is over 26" in length.... you have to file and pay $$ to place this vert grip on it?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, where did you read that in this thread?

It's a "firearm"
not a "pistol"
not a "AOW"
not a "SBR"

A "firearm"

ATF's words, and I know the ATF tech branch is full of window lickers, but they're the ones that make the "rules".
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Measurement must not include the muzzle device.  End of buffer tube to end of barrel only.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Measurement must not include the muzzle device.  End of buffer tube to end of barrel only.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless the muzzle device is pinned/welded.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Weird. So a 10.5" with a Sig brace if over 26" is not a pistol, but a "firearm" with a vert grip. Whatever I guess.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Weird. So a 10.5" with a Sig brace if over 26" is not a pistol, but a "firearm" with a vert grip. Whatever I guess.
View Quote

correct but if you take the vert of it is once again a pistol, if you put it back on, poof its a firearm.... once again pop it off and you have a pistol once more
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

The brace has nothing to do with it, btw, and of course doesn't figure into OAL.

- OS
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:51:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The brace has nothing to do with it, btw, and of course doesn't figure into OAL.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

I get that. I was using that as an example.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#11]
The thread should include an "*"
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:48:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Why does a VFG turn a "firearm" into a pistol if removed?  It's still a firearm because it's over 26."
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:06:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why does a VFG turn a "firearm" into a pistol if removed?  It's still a firearm because it's over 26."
View Quote

Then you could point to the federal definition that states that, eh?

(Hint: no definitions have changed, including the one for "handgun" - there is no min/max OAL to be considered a handgun/pistol)

- OS
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I like Magpuls AFG and it happens to be legal on a pistol of any length.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was going to ask this -  the angled foregrips are legal on any length pistol?  
the only difference being vertical (form required and $200) vs. angled (no form, no money, happy gun owner)

just clarifying
thanks
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

the only difference being vertical (form required and $200) Only if the OAL is less than 26" vs. angled (no form, no money, happy gun owner)

just clarifying
thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the only difference being vertical (form required and $200) Only if the OAL is less than 26" vs. angled (no form, no money, happy gun owner)

just clarifying
thanks

Oh it's one of these things "when size matters".
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

just clarifying
thanks

so the answer to my question is YES - angled foregrips are legal on any size pistol
right?  :)
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
so the answer to my question is YES - angled foregrips are legal on any size pistol
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

thanks
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.
A pistol is designed to be fired with one hand.
If you have a pistol with OAL greater than 26", it is still a pistol if it has no VFG.
When you attach a VFG, it is no longer designed to be fired with one hand, and, since it is not designed to be fired from the shoulder (has no stock so not an SBR), and is not a smooth bore (AOW), it becomes defined as a firearm.
When you remove the VFG, it reverts to being desinged to be fired with one hand and reverts to a pistol.
The 26" aspect determines whether it is concealable or not concealable, greater than 26" is not concealable and therefore (with a VFG) a firearm.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Barrel shorter than 16" and overall length of firearm is under 26" = pistol
Barrel shorter than 16" and overall length of firearm is greater than 26"= pistol

Barrel shorter than 16" and overall length of firearm is under 26" with angled fore grip = pistol
Barrel shorter than 16" and overall length of firearm is greater than 26" with angled fore grip = pistol

Barrel shorter than 16" and overall length of firearm is under 26" with vertical fore grip = AOW.  Illegal unless you register it and pay the tax stamp
Barrel shorter than 16" and overall length of firearm is greater than 26" with vertical fore grip = firearm. There's is no restrictions on owning a "firearm" classified weapon so it's legal without registration or paperwork

If you remove the vertical fore grip in that last example, it turns it back into a pistol.  The vertical grip is what turns a pistol over 26" into a "firearm" or an "AOW" if it's under 26"

What equals 26"?  You measure from the crown of the barrel NOT COUNTING THE MUZZLE BRAKE UNLESS IT'S PINNED AND WELDED all the way to the end of the buffer tube.  If it's greater than 26", then you can add a VFG on with no paperwork.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top