BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2014 12:59:49 AM EDT
What says ARFCOM?

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:05:12 AM EDT
[#1]
AFAIK, no ruling, but I'd posit that's skating on very thin ice on a pistol under 26".

- OS
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:05:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Vertical grip creates an aow, magpul afg is ok, not sure on a pistol grip, it would put the toe a bit close to the line for me to be  comfortable with.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:22:00 AM EDT
[#3]
There is a stock on that gun so it is an SBR and any vertical grip is OK. I wouldn't put that grip on a pistol.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:33:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a stock on that SBR.
View Quote

Excellent observation.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:58:40 AM EDT
[#5]
i wouldnt do it on anything under 26" oal
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:22:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I think you guys are right. The franklin armory firearm letter references the Thompson 1927 A5 and the ATF considers it a firearm.

http://www.franklinarmory.com/XO-26_Letter__c_.pdf
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:10:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think you guys are right. The franklin armory firearm letter references the Thompson 1927 A5 and the ATF considers it a firearm.

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2012/08/11/510200_01_thompson_semi_auto_pistol_mode_640.jpg

http://www.franklinarmory.com/XO-26_Letter__c_.pdf
View Quote

There's your answer. If the ATF considers that ^^ a firearm then they consider that forward grip to be vertical. Kinda looks like a pistol grip huh...
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

i wouldnt do it on anything under 26" oal
View Quote
To clarify that, OAL (overall length) is determined by measuring from the end of the receiver extension to the end of the muzzle. The muzzle device is not included in the OAL unless it is permanently attached.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
AFAIK, no ruling, but I'd posit that's skating on very thin ice on a pistol under 26".

- OS
View Quote

There's a ruling, I believe the letter is in the sticky at the top of this forum.

OAL exceeds 26" = good to go, however the classification is changed from pistol to firearm while the AR remains in this configuration.

OAL < 26" you have created an AOW

ETA: just paid more attn to the OP, not sure about that angled grip.from the classification of the Thompson above I'm guessing you're sol
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There's a ruling, I believe the letter is in the sticky at the top of this forum....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

There's a ruling, I believe the letter is in the sticky at the top of this forum....

I meant there is no ruling as to whether a pistol grip with standard AR type angle is considered a vertical grip if placed in the forward position. Even though it is not actually "vertical", my guess is that it's close enough to be ruled one.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:08:40 AM EDT
[#11]
The Stark AFG is as close as I would come to the OP in pistol config (not SBR)

I always posts these when I have a chance, here is a non "vertical" (per ATF definition) foregrip circa 1969 that would make agents/tech branch head's esssploooode

Never mind the buttstock, the uniform or the third hole

I post them because that is my dad and his photos need to live on
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top