Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/22/2014 11:50:48 AM EDT
Or is there something to them? I've always wanted a 12" gun. Always seemed to be almost the perfect size. I think I'm going to do a pistol first and if I like it I'll probably go the SBR route with it. Is it silly? Anyone do one?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's something you've always wanted, then don't let anyone else tell you that it's silly.  There is nothing wrong with a 12" stick
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's something you've always wanted, then don't let anyone else tell you that it's silly.  There is nothing wrong with a 12" stick
View Quote

Yeah that's what I'm thinking...and I've handled 11.5-12" SBRs and they felt awesome.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#3]
No barrel length is silly as long as you know what it (bbl length) means in terms of performance and reliability.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Better terminal ballistics than a 10.5'' and seeing as most people use a KX3/5 or KAK Flash Can, there's no difference in OAL with a typical A2 flash hider.

I went from 10.5 to 12''
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Or is there something to them? I've always wanted a 12" gun. Always seemed to be almost the perfect size. I think I'm going to do a pistol first and if I like it I'll probably go the SBR route with it. Is it silly? Anyone do one?
View Quote

if i were walking around in an open pasture all day i would choose a 20" barrel, but that same rifle
would be "silly" inside a car, or the hallways in my house. you see how that works? to most a firearm
is a tool, different jobs / situations call for different tools.

a 12" pistol is no more silly than a 9/16 socket, or a ball peen hammer to the man who needs it.

in other words equip your toolbox with the tools you will use.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, should be a 7.5in.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yes, should be a 7.5in.
View Quote
And why pray tell do you say that?

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#8]
It's silly to get a barrel length you don't really want...  you have your reasons for wanting a 12".

Not sure of 12" pricing, but hopefully it doesn't come at a premium. If you can find a 4" muzzle device, you could always pin it and skip the SBR paperwork.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, should be a 7.5in.

More fire is more better!

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It's silly to get a barrel length you don't really want...  you have your reasons for wanting a 12".

Not sure of 12" pricing, but hopefully it doesn't come at a premium. If you can find a 4" muzzle device, you could always pin it and skip the SBR paperwork.
View Quote
Actually you will need roughly a 4.5" muzzle because of the threads reducing OAL.

Also, if you're going to have the length of a 16" bbl you might as well have the rifling of a 16" bbl.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, should be a 7.5in.
Such a useful comment filled with insightful perspective.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#12]
My 5.56  pistol is a 11.5 and I love it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My 5.56  pistol is a 11.5 and I love it.
View Quote

I have the same perfect length, I hardly ever use my rifle anymore now that the sig brace came out. The ATF is stupid they should do away with SBRs all together.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah it seems I've read a few opinions on it saying that a pistol with a 12" bbl has an awkward balance to it. I'm on the fence between SBR paperwork or just saving time and a bit of money and getting a brace.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yeah it seems I've read a few opinions on it saying that a pistol with a 12" bbl has an awkward balance to it. I'm on the fence between SBR paperwork or just saving time and a bit of money and getting a brace.
View Quote
Get a light weight barrel, tube rail system and simple muzzle device (nothing heavy like a Flaming Pig) and the brace will balance the pistol out just fine.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Bcm sold me on the 11.5, so yea i think a 12" would be a good fit also.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

if i were walking around in an open pasture all day i would choose a 20" barrel, but that same rifle
would be "silly" inside a car, or the hallways in my house. you see how that works? to most a firearm

a 12" pistol is no more silly than a 9/16 socket, or a ball peen hammer to the man who needs it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is like reading the translated version of the jumbled mess that is my brain.  

I tell people about building an AR is to figure out the job it needs to do then build the tool to make it do that job.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is my 11.5 , it is running a carbine length gas system. It runs as Smooth as silk with or without the can on with indication of over gassing  , this is a sweet little rig and I love it
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, should be a 7.5in.

I would concur. Owning AR's in lengths from 20 to 7, more fire is always best.

Seriously though, they are the funnest, no doubt.

As for the OP...whatever works for you.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I went 7.5" for my "first" one....  I keep thinking an 11.5" would be very interesting, especially with a folding receiver extension in place!  If I could only have one, I'd probably say the 7.5" since it's slightly shorter OAL than a bullpup 16" and retains all the advantages of a "pistol"-classified firearm.  If quantity were no object then yes, I think I'd get an 11.5" as a "second" pistol.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:01:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No barrel length is silly as long as you know what it (bbl length) means in terms of performance and reliability.
View Quote

best answer
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:03:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Better terminal ballistics than a 10.5'' and seeing as most people use a KX3/5 or KAK Flash Can, there's no difference in OAL with a typical A2 flash hider.

I went from 10.5 to 12''
View Quote

Any noticeable difference in sound/concussion ?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went from 10.5 to 12''

I'm close. I have both a 10.5" and 11.5" pistol. Both have the same muzzle device also(Phantom). Not really. Maybe only slightly at the most.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top