Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2014 9:09:36 PM EDT
Working on a lefty pistol, can't seem to find a left handed pistol upper. Anybody know a good company who makes one?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not build one yourself?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I heard that the barrel extension is different as the bolt rotates the opposite way.

If so then the easiest way would be to buy a stag upper and have it cut down to pistol length.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to Arfcom.  

From one lefty to another, any reason to build a lefty AR?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Welcome to Arfcom.  

View Quote
No. Not IMO. I'm a lefty and have shot nothing but right handed AR's with the exception of ambi controls.

Dedicated left hand stuff is way too hard to resell also.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No. Not IMO. I'm a lefty and have shot nothing but right handed AR's with the exception of ambi controls.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome to Arfcom.  

I said the same thing for years, until I actually FIRED one.

Need? No. Prefer? Heck yes. I LOVE my left handed ARs... All 7 of them :-)

My lefty story in the Stag sub-forum

To answer the OPs question, you can use a standard barrel (I have used two mid length barrels on lefty uppers), or as suggested, get a 16" plus package barrel and have it cut down.  I've done that as well, and have 2 lefty pistols currently.
Other options:
Black Hole Weaponry says all their barrel extensions are ambi.
White Oak Armament will build your barrel with ambi extension.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:57:19 AM EDT
[#6]
DPMS was building a left upper that used a standard barrel extension. The stripped uppers came with a special bolt but all other parts needed were standard ar. As far as I know they have been discontinued but you may still be able to find one online if you look around. Other than that I think Stag is the only option and they require a left or ambi barrel extension. As others have said you may be better off getting a complete rifle upper and cut it down to what you want. Just make sure that it has a gas port position that will work with the barrel length you want or get one with a rifle length gas port so you can cut it down behind the port and move the port to where you need it. Anyway you look at it your options are few and you'll have some work to do to get what you want.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome to Arfcom.  

I am a lefty that prefers RH uppers, if that is really what you want to call em......
Been shooting RH ARs for 35 years (5 combat zones, MIL and LE training as well), they were actually built with a Lefty in mind if ya ask me.
If you are a Southpaw firer shooting a regular upper you do not have to move your head to observe the chamber or see a malfunction if need be.
The only thing a Southpaw would benefit on is an Ambi selector lever and Ambi charging handles.

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top