Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2014 9:07:23 AM EDT
So I was not happy with the grouping of the Ice Arms 6.75" barrel.  I wasn't expecting match grade, just fire balls and it provided that......after awhile though, I wanted tighter grouping.  Enter the Aero barrel and the sale they had.  Could not pass it up.  Took it out this past Sun and rang it out.  The Aero barrel does group tighter and the extra length, to me, makes for a better looking upper.

All in all very happy with it.  Only 60rds through it, but no issues with it.  Cycles like a champ.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:15:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks pretty cool.  What is the muzzle device that covers your YHM QD mount?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Simplistic Shooting Solutions brake shield.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:57:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I looked that shield up and it has a set screw. Is that the retention method or will it stay on from just spinning it on firmly?
http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/upper-receiver/muzzle-devices/one-size-qd-brake-shield-for-all18t-and-51t-aac-mounts.html#
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I looked that shield up and it has a set screw. Is that the retention method or will it stay on from just spinning it on firmly?
http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/upper-receiver/muzzle-devices/one-size-qd-brake-shield-for-all18t-and-51t-aac-mounts.html#
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The set screw is for AAC flash hider/mounts.  The YHM QD version just screws on and uses the compression ring on the QD flash hider to keep it on.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks, you just made the cost of my 308 AR build go up by $75.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#6]
How did the accuracy change with the new barrel? Any comparisons?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice. What was the sale price of the barrel?

And what buffer are you using BTW?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:02:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How did the accuracy change with the new barrel? Any comparisons?
View Quote

Old barrel-
Roughly 2-3" groups at 30yrds
Roughly 3-5" at 50yrds
Roughly 6-8" at 100yrds with some key holing.

New barrel-
Roughly 1-2" at 30rds
Roughly 3"at 50yrds
Did not shoot out to 100yrds the range was muddy soup past the 50.

The smaller groups were with AE black box 55grn.  The wider spreads were cheaper Monarch and Herters steel case.  A lot of it has to do with the fact the 6.75" was a 1/8 twist barrel.  The Aero is a 7.5" with a 1/7 twist.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nice. What was the sale price of the barrel?

And what buffer are you using BTW?
View Quote

$164.25 with frees shipping.  Free shipping was the discount.  Standard carbine buffer and buffer spring.  FA BCG.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:43:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess that answers my questions if a1/8 or 1/9 twist barrel is adequate for a 7.5"ish barrel. Have you ran the can on that barrel yet?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#11]
No can yet.  Will be working on that within the next month.  I have used my brothers 308 can on my 10.3" and the gas is pretty strong.  His 7.5" with the same can is even worse.  If I do run a can on it, I will need to pick up a gas-ported forward assist.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:25:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you post in the sig brace pic thread?
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top