Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2014 2:59:50 PM EDT
So yeah im an AR noob as in I dont own one but im planning on building a pistol. I like the idea of 300 BO and I reload so ill gather the components etc for it and honestly as little time between work..a 3yr old and wife..other guns/hobbies etc. that if I reload 500 rds id probably be lucky to shoot them all in a year.
Id say Im an AK guy and id also share the .308 bullets for reloads with my ak.. yes I know the 7.62x39 rd is more like .310-.312 but ive seen peopled reports on accuracy not being that much worse.with .308 bullets.

Guess my question is/concern is if I go with 223/5.56 id the report/ flash as bad with 300 BO loads?  I ask because.lately ive been reading some posts tslking about the annoying loudness.etc out of a 5.56 pistol with certain length barrels. My question is if its mainly that round and if 300 BO is as loud/violent..?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I have both 223 Wydle and 300blk. First went 300blk because it was less a standard round and I do a lot of reloading. Next will be a 7.62x39 pistol. After what you mention regarding your AK familiarity and lack of free time, you might just want to start with the 7.62x39.  

An AK has a louder report than the 223 and the 300blk is more like the AK. Just use a linear comp with what ever caliber you choose and you'll be fine.

...and welcome to the forum!
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a suppressor and the .300blk is stupid quiet.  If you already reload and do 30 cal, the .300 to me is a no brainer.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both a .300 blackout and .223 Even reloading. The 300 blackout will cost more per round. But if you like the 7.62x39mm then you will love the 300 blackout.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not just build your AR in 7.62x39mm?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:06:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't do a pistol in .223.  it's just a novelty that looks really cool in fancy photographs on the internet.  

7.62x39 is louder and has way more flash than .300 BLK at any barrel length.  You can load .300 BLK with different powders and make it even quieter.    And yes I said 'powders' not projectiles.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 3:39:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't do a pistol in .223.  it's just a novelty that looks really cool in fancy photographs on the internet.  

7.62x39 is louder and has way more flash than .300 BLK at any barrel length b/c it has more case capacity.  You can load 7.62x39 with different powders and make it even quieter.    And yes I said 'powders' not projectiles.
View Quote

FIFY.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:15:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

OK

I would suggest getting a 14.5-16" 5.56 first then get a 5.56 pistol or 300blk pistol.  That's just me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I was an AK guy for years, and finally started shooting AR's. When I decided to build a pistol, I built one in  5.56, 10.5" barrel. I like it a lot, but it sits now that I built one in 7.62x39. I have more confidence in the round out of a shorter barrel, and I can do the same things reloading x39 as I can with 300 BO. Ammo is cheaper and more plentiful, and I can use the same rounds in my AK's. I have 1200 rds through the x39 pistol, and it is very reliable.
My choice would be to build in x39 for a pistol.
My x39 pistol barrel is a YHM 11.5", and I am very satisfied with it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 5:16:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

FIFY.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

7.62x39 is louder and has way more flash than .300 BLK at any barrel length b/c it has more case capacity.  You can load 7.62x39 with different powders and make it even quieter.    And yes I said 'powders' not projectiles.

FIFY.

LOL

I had considered building a pistol in 7.62x39 since I do have a few rounds laying around.

7.62x39 brass is very expensive and hard to find - .300 BLK can be made from .223 brass
7.62x39 steel cases can be reloaded be reloaded in a pinch - I'd rather stick with brass cases
7.62x39 ammo in AR15 magazine isn't exactly GTG

Also .300 is more efficient AKA uses less powder
The other day I was at an inside range and noticed a kid next to me was shooting a 7.62x39 AR Pistol with a 10 or 12 barrel.  From my side of the booth I noticed small flame/fireballs coming from the end of the barrel after each shot.  It's hard to explain but best I could guess is unburned powder coming out after the initial fireball.  He was shooting steel cased ammo I just don't know what brand.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I like my 300 pistol better than my 223 pistol. Both work but the 300 just seems better.

Neither are my go to though. For that I have a 300 BO in a carbine rifle. Just saying.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:01:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

LOL

I had considered building a pistol in 7.62x39 since I do have a few rounds laying around.

7.62x39 brass is very expensive and hard to find - .300 BLK can be made from .223 brass
7.62x39 steel cases can be reloaded be reloaded in a pinch - I'd rather stick with brass cases

The other day I was at an inside range and noticed a kid next to me was shooting a 7.62x39 AR Pistol with a 10 or 12 barrel.  From my side of the booth I noticed small flame/fireballs coming from the end of the barrel after each shot.  It's hard to explain but best I could guess is unburned powder coming out after the initial fireball.  He was shooting steel cased ammo I just don't know what brand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Don't do a pistol in .223.  it's just a novelty that looks really cool in fancy photographs on the internet.  

FIFY.

LOL

The new 7.62x39 AR mags are reportedly reliable.  I have not shot them, but it seems a solution has been arrived @ in the more than 20 years shooting 7.62x39 out of ARs.  .300" Whisper is a great round, & to convert a .223" AR, it only requires a new bbl.  If you're building from scratch, with 7.62x39mm already on hand...
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:34:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

LOL

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY.

LOL

I have 7 mags for my 7.62x39 pistol, and every one of them is reliable. Havent had any feeding problems at all.
Full power loads from both are pretty much the same as far as powder usage, same with loading them both subsonic.
Steel cased ammo in any caliber will make more of a fireball than brass cased ammo, it is related to the type of powder used.
Reloading steel cased ammo is not a big deal, but due to it's less malleable nature, it will not last as long as brass cased ammo.
If you have a way to trim the cases back from .223, it isn't such a big deal, and shooting .223 in a 300 BO to fire form cases seems like an expensive waste of powder and ammo. Kinda makes things even vs buying 7.62x39 brass.
Not being argumentative, just giving another point of view.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:  I have 7 mags for my 7.62x39 pistol, and every one of them is reliable. Havent had any feeding problems at all.
Full power loads from both are pretty much the same as far as powder usage, same with loading them both subsonic.
Steel cased ammo in any caliber will make more of a fireball than brass cased ammo, it is related to the type of powder used.
Reloading steel cased ammo is not a big deal, but due to it's less malleable nature, it will not last as long as brass cased ammo.
If you have a way to trim the cases back from .223, it isn't such a big deal, and shooting .223 in a 300 BO to fire form cases seems like an expensive waste of powder and ammo. Kinda makes things even vs buying 7.62x39 brass.
View Quote

Link to subsonic 7.62x39mm loads?  
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Get a suppressor and the .300blk is stupid quiet.  If you already reload and do 30 cal, the .300 to me is a no brainer.
View Quote

But IMO .300BLK isn't worth it unless its suppressed.  

Other than that I agree with the above

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I have 7 mags for my 7.62x39 pistol, and every one of them is reliable. Havent had any feeding problems at all.

I plan on developing a load using the 300 BO information. I plan on using .308 bullets, and seeing how well they work. I figure that the two cartridges are pretty close in size, and it shouldn't be an issue, as most subsonic loads are way below the max loads possible.  
.303 british, 7.7 jap bullets might work, depending on the bore of your barrel. Lots of 7.62x39 barrels made in the US are at .308, so using those bullets should work out great.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I think that .300 BLK is an awesome Idea. You can load it supersonic and mimic 7.62x39 performance and you can load it subsonic for the most quiet centerfire rifle around... all this out of a 12" sbr. What makes it great is if you already have an 5.56 AR that all you need is an upper and your gtg.

I have been collecting .223 brass for a bit now in anticipation of reloading .300 blk... I have about 2k brass... one of these days I'm going buy that upper and learn to reload.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the great replies..im probably gonna go 300 BO I think..im about 75% leaning that way. Just because its different and ive usually gone.that way vs. what alot of people around me have/do..ill also get a silencer for it eventually...im leaning towards something Honey Badgerish possibly..so that being said the barrel will probably be under 10 inches.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I respect everyone’s opinion and I love everything that has to do with guns.  I also really like an under dog but for me there are just way too many thing working against an ar15 pistol in x39.

some that come to mind
The extreme taper of the x39 case was not designed with the ar15 locking lugs and extractor in mind.
Arn't x39 bolts made by hogging out .223 bolts?
my 300 BLK loads only use 17gr of very hard to find power x39 24gr that’s still about 50% more.

Don't get me wrong I love 7.62x39 in an AK/AKM and .223/556 out of  16,18,20 barrels

As far as 300 blk goes, loading good reliable subs with the components that have been available has eluded me.   If you want to shoot suppressed a 9mm AR pistol with 146gr Subs is way easier to get going.   Therefore I only load supper sonic ammo.
I've shot 300 BLK  out of a CMMG 8.5 barrel and it was quieter than .223 from a 16 in barrel suppressed.
In my opinion .300 BLK is not a better hunting round than .223.  It is a lot of fun and makes way more scene out of a short barrel.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:46:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I say.....be fair....build one of each.  How else will you really know which one is best for you?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:40:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I respect everyone’s opinion and I love everything that has to do with guns.  I also really like an under dog but for me there are just way too many thing working against an ar15 pistol in x39.

some that come to mind
The extreme taper of the x39 case was not designed with the ar15 locking lugs and extractor in mind.
my 300 BLK loads only use 17gr of very hard to find power x39 24gr that’s still about 50% more.

Don't get me wrong I love 7.62x39 in an AK/AKM and .223/556 out of  16,18,20 barrels

As far as 300 blk goes, loading good reliable subs with the components that have been available has eluded me.   If you want to shoot suppressed a 9mm AR pistol with 146gr Subs is way easier to get going.   Therefore I only load supper sonic ammo.
I've shot 300 BLK  out of a CMMG 8.5 barrel and it was quieter than .223 from a 16 in barrel suppressed.
In my opinion .300 BLK is not a better hunting round than .223.  It is a lot of fun and makes way more scene out of a short barrel.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/files/2011/07/bolt-faces.jpg
View Quote

Yes, the x39 bolt is a .223 bolt with the face enlarged to accommodate the larger case. With newer metals being used, the bolt breakage that plagued the early bolts is not as much of an issue.
the tapered case is more an issue with magazines, than the chamber and locking lugs. Using steel cased ammo will make them run dirtier, just like .223 steel cased ammo.
I agree that a .30 cal round out of a short barrel makes more sense than .223 does.
I have a bunch of x39 ammo in my ammo fort, and it makes sense for me to shoot it over the 300 BO, and I have a lot of shooting to do before I need to reload.
Every round has it's purpose and place, and for me it makes economical sense to shoot the x39 out of my pistol.
Have you tried blue dot for your BO subs?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:29:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yes, the x39 bolt is a .223 bolt with the face enlarged to accommodate the larger case. With newer metals being used, the bolt breakage that plagued the early bolts is not as much of an issue.
the tapered case is more an issue with magazines, than the chamber and locking lugs. Using steel cased ammo will make them run dirtier, just like .223 steel cased ammo.
I agree that a .30 cal round out of a short barrel makes more sense than .223 does.
I have a bunch of x39 ammo in my ammo fort, and it makes sense for me to shoot it over the 300 BO, and I have a lot of shooting to do before I need to reload.
Every round has it's purpose and place, and for me it makes economical sense to shoot the x39 out of my pistol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

some that come to mind

http://www.gunsandammo.com/files/2011/07/bolt-faces.jpg

I did also just get a VZ58 that loves steel case ammo.  Man this thing shoots smooth and even my GF loves the ergo's on this thing.

I've tried 11gr of H110,1680 and 5744(this stuff works great for 146 tracers and 150gr pull-downs.  However The only Projectiles I've been able to find are 208gr.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:34:17 PM EDT
[#22]
For me it came down to powder burn completion.  Takes about 18" to get a complete burn in 5.56, vs about 9" for the blackout.  By burning all the powder you minimize flash and report, and don't waste powder burning after the bullet has left the barrel.  I just hate wasting anything, powder and velocity included.  I wen't 10.5"

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:04:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
For me it came down to powder burn completion.  Takes about 18" to get a complete burn in 5.56, vs about 9" for the blackout.  By burning all the powder you minimize flash and report, and don't waste powder burning after the bullet has left the barrel.  I just hate wasting anything, powder and velocity included.  I wen't 10.5"

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u680/jhend170/Mobile%20Uploads/20140910_223653_zps4dtnqvje.jpg
View Quote

I did a 10.5" also. Really wanted an 8.2 but that will be another build in something a bit bigger.

The 300 is the better choice in terms of overall energy in a short barrel application. The right combo of powder & bullet mass makes all the difference when the case characteristics & burn rate/ expansion ratios are correct for the application.

You can send out a bigger/ heavier pill (125grns) over a 556 at about the same velocity or even heavier ones (up to 220grns) at slightly lower velocity.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#24]
This is my new pistol I just completed.

10.5" radical barrel, spikes upper/lower/bcg/lpk, long tube, sig brace.  It is over 26" now, so I can put a vertical grip on it later.

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top