Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2014 10:25:52 PM EDT
Building a .300 blackout pistol. Going to use a pistol buffer tube, and a 10" barrel. I think the OAL will be 26-26.5"?

Is there a maximum length I can build a pistol legally?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 5.56 build with a 10.5 and a PSA pistol tube, OAL without pinning my FH is just shy of 26, so it cannot have a vert grip.

State laws may very, but I believe that fed law says that as long as it does not have a shoulder stock you are GTG.

I love the look of my 10.5 5.56, is there a reason for the 10" barrel? I thought I had read somewhere that .300 BLK burned all of its powder in 8" and after that, MV increases were minimal
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:02:04 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a 10.5" barrel only because that's all I could get to put it together at the time. Will eventually source an 8" barrel for it but like you said I love the look/size of it with a 10.5".

I had read some stuff about 26.5" and being considered a "firearm". Just wanting to make sure I was not going to be doing anything wrong or making a gun that required a stamp somehow...
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:33:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a 10.5" barrel only because that's all I could get to put it together at the time. Will eventually source an 8" barrel for it but like you said I love the look/size of it with a 10.5".

I had read some stuff about 26.5" and being considered a "firearm". Just wanting to make sure I was not going to be doing anything wrong or making a gun that required a stamp somehow...
View Quote

You're fine federally at any OAL length (or any barrel length). I believe MI is the only state that may still have some oddity with a pistol being 26" or more, though some others do have a barrel length maximum in their statute definitions. (TN is "under 12 inches" for example).

The only reason you hear so much about it is that lately is that a relatively new ATF ruling allows a handgun of 26" or more in legal OAL to also have a vertical forward grip attached. That's when it becomes a legal "firearm" -- remove the VFG and it's a handgun again. (note that muzzle device doesn't count in OAL unless permanently attached).

Federal definitions have not changed, this is merely an interpretative exception to what is otherwise AOW classification.

- OS
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:50:07 AM EDT
[#4]
+1

Federally, there is no OAL limit on a handgun, but if it happens to be over 26" OAL, you can attach a VFG, and it becomes a "firearm" instead of a regulated "AOW"
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:09:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I built a 30" pistol a few months ago, it was only a pistol for a few minutes though.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I built a 30" pistol a few months ago, it was only a pistol for a few minutes though.

View Quote

This for all my builds.  My 20" M16ish repro was a pistol first too.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:35:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I have got a 10.5 inch pistol with the KAK super tube and extra lop kit installed. over all legal  length exceeds 26 inches. looks like i can put a vertical fore grip on it, legally. however, my lower is an  RRA marked "Pistol Only". would this alter the status of the weapon, in regards the VFG?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have got a 10.5 inch pistol with the KAK super tube and extra lop kit installed. over all legal  length exceeds 26 inches. looks like i can put a vertical fore grip on it, legally. however, my lower is an  RRA marked "Pistol Only". would this alter the status of the weapon, in regards the VFG?
View Quote

Nope. what is marked on the receiver is irrelevant to it's actual usage.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

one other question. still a little unclear after reading the ATF documents.

if i attach the 10.5 inch pistol  upper with a vertical fore grip attached  to a lower that was originally a RIFLE lower, but has the KAK super buffer tube and Sig brace, making the overall length greater than 26 inches, is this also legal?  the part i am hung up on is that the lower was originally a  rifle lower and still is.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:43:57 AM EDT
[#10]
If it started out as a rifle, you cannot make it anything but a rifle without a stamp from the ATF.  Stupid rules, but it is the govt after all.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If it started out as a rifle, you cannot make it anything but a rifle without a stamp from the ATF.  Stupid rules, but it is the govt after all.
View Quote

Even with a tax stamp, it could never be a handgun. Would have to be an SBR that you used without a stock. :)

- OS
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:20:20 AM EDT
[#12]
thanks guys, after reading the rules again, no doubt you are correct. i will keep that upper on a lower that was never anything but a pistol lower.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top